Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Batley imports

Are they necessary

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#121 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

Think the telling sign about Finn's loss is the fact that it has been so widely commented on and celebrated by fans of so many our leading rivals - they are as glad to see the back of him as we would be to see Yere or QLT no longer lining up for Sheffield against us. Anyone who has seen plenty of Finn and Moore over recent years knows Moore has been nothing like the player Finn has been, but he's our scrum half now so I'll be cheering him on.

It's a bit odd when Batley fans come on this forum eager to tell us about the qualities & failings of our signings from them; we usually play Batley three or four times a year and they must have been on Premier half a dozen times this year - we all know each other's players in this league pretty well. Moore is the only one of the quartet who is a bit hard to weigh up (because he doesn't seem especially consistent); Flanagan will do fine as Ellis' interchange, Hirst will be doing very well if he can find a place on the bench with Crossley, Nicholson, James and Bostock a very strong quartet at prop and Gavin Bennion and Colton Roche around too and Walmsley faces a very stiff task to get a sniff at the 17 with Lockwood, Cording, Spears, Bussey, Dale and Briggs all competing for back row places.

#122 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:06 PM

Not surprised that Liam has been allowed to leave, and that he has gone to Cas. What they need is consistency in the league, and no-one has been more consistent for Rovers than Liam Finn! As far as Rovers' requirements go, however, the ability to raise your game in the big play-off and knock-out games is the top priority, and Rovers have under-performed in this department for the past 4 seasons!

The rumour mill suggests that promotion will be re-introduced, but for the winners of the Grand Final, so topping the league will count for nothing, and I imagine this is why those in charge are looking for a change in direction. With such a big squad some will fall by the wayside, but one or two will be a roaring success, and we always manage to bring in one or two gems mid-season.

We have two full seasons before the play-offs at the end of 2015, so there's plenty of time to get it right!

#123 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

Not surprised that Liam has been allowed to leave, and that he has gone to Cas. What they need is consistency in the league, and no-one has been more consistent for Rovers than Liam Finn

You are not wrong there, threw a few interception passes out for us in his time - off to a great start for his new club down road - threw a pearler out for fax to waltz in on boxing day ;)

#124 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

Problem for our new 7 is he will be compared against Finn just as with every new player that comes in and replaces one who goes

In the time Finn was here how many competitive matches did he miss for Rovers and is he the longest player to play in a run of games at Rovers since S/L was introduced

We got 2 years to get it right with the new squad and coaching set up so let's see where we are come the end of 2015

Lets stick together and support the 2014 squad as in will be another good season in the championship

#125 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

Might be too late if promotion and relegation is reintroduced at the end of next season ? ;)

#126 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

Might be too late if promotion and relegation is reintroduced at the end of next season ? ;)

There is relegation but no promotion next year isn't there

#127 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

Do you reckon they will all get a game against Hunslet?

#128 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Well I think it will be back for 2015 season.

Think the "Cartel" meet January 17.

#129 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

Do you reckon they will all get a game against Hunslet?

Yes seen as they are all in the squad

#130 K.Loxton

K.Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

Flanagan,Moore & Hirst all top performers today! Bring on the season :)
No matter what the result, always a true Fev fan.
"COME ON LADS MAKE US PROUD"

#131 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

Missed the game today much to my disappointment, due to illness. What was the start up line up and did the centres impress please. Mind if the reports are right we have Mellors as well.

#132 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

Hardman

sharp

worthington

cording

chisholm

bussey

moore

crossley

flanagan

Hirst 

Lockwood

Spears

James

Subs - Ellis, Walmsley, Roche, Bennion, Ormenroyd, Saxton, Sunley, Nicholson and Dale

Centres did ok, greg went off injured but not the right conditions for flowing centre play - I expect Uaisele to slot in the centres when he arrives and Cording to the back row - the mellars rumour is a load of rubbish in my opinion

Edited by elppaxr2i, 01 January 2014 - 07:42 PM.

#133 K.Loxton

K.Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Mellor's signed up by Glenora Bears in NZ....The only position I feel we're weak is the centre spots...Is Greg our only out and out centre???
No matter what the result, always a true Fev fan.
"COME ON LADS MAKE US PROUD"

#134 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

The former Batley players all played well; Moore was the man of the match; Welcome to FEV;

#135 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

Mellor's signed up by Glenora Bears in NZ....The only position I feel we're weak is the centre spots...Is Greg our only out and out centre???

Seems pretty sure Uaisele will be playing centre with Sharp, Saxton & Chisholm established wings. Mendeika and Hellewell are presumably the cover at centre.

#136 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

How was Speirs as Captain?

#137 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:39 PM

You know what we got with spears before he was made captain - someone who is very vocal on the pitch who rallies the troops, yesterday was no exception

#138 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 633 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

Seems pretty sure Uaisele will be playing centre with Sharp, Saxton & Chisholm established wings. Mendeika and Hellewell are presumably the cover at centre.

Why not Cording at centre and Uaisele on the wing? Big man in Cording with enough pace to draw men in and hopefully release Uaisele down the wing.
I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#139 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

Hardman
sharp
worthington
cording
chisholm
bussey
moore
crossley
flanagan
Hirst 
Lockwood
Spears
James

Subs - Ellis, Walmsley, Roche, Bennion, Ormenroyd, Saxton, Sunley, Nicholson and Dale

Centres did ok, greg went off injured but not the right conditions for flowing centre play - I expect Uaisele to slot in the centres when he arrives and Cording to the back row - the mellars rumour is a load of rubbish in my opinion

Thanks for that. Feeling a bit better today and hope to see the next match. Reading all the comments it appear everybody happy with Moore's contribution. Reading the newspapers it appears that Finn had a good game for Cas and was praised by Powell. I reckon both have their own attributes and we have now to support Moore. Nice to see how well the team has gelled.

#140 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

Moore ... never seen him make an effort at a 40/20.

Interesting. Completed a terrific 40-20 in his very first game for us, and up the hill too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users