Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

I GOT A JOB

well sort of

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

I went to work today. Delivered a few letters, thought about how much my shares had grown...

I wonder how many refused to take them, if this was possible? By the way, let's hope that the stock market continues to rise.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 15 October 2013 - 12:13 PM.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#42 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

Capitalist! It didn't take you long :-)

I fundmentally disagree with the privatisation, but if someone wants to throw shares at me... ;)
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#43 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

I wonder how many refused to take them, if this was possible? By the way, let's hope that the stock market continues to rise.

Employees did have the option to refuse them - presumably through religious or political reasons - but I don't know of anyone who did.

As for growth, I've been watching the price shoot up but then we learn this morning that it is today's price that will be the basis for our allocation. Now, as employees were supposed to have been allocated 10% share of the floated company which price they use shouldn't make any difference to the number of shares we get (I think). In other words, my share of 10% of the company should be the same whether the allocation of the shares is based upon the initial price of 330p or 475p. I hope.

#44 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Merde mon ami.  Keep your chin up!  Best wishes, Tim

How you getting on with your venture Tim?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#45 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

How you getting on with your venture Tim?

All good thanks mate.  Three years in just about, and only three payments left on the mortgage - will take a bit of pressure off once that has gone.  Busiest period of the year coming up so limbering the back up for plenty of sausage making.  Should be doing about 80 - 120 kgs per week from here to Christmas.  

In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#46 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Employees did have the option to refuse them - presumably through religious or political reasons - but I don't know of anyone who did.

As for growth, I've been watching the price shoot up but then we learn this morning that it is today's price that will be the basis for our allocation. Now, as employees were supposed to have been allocated 10% share of the floated company which price they use shouldn't make any difference to the number of shares we get (I think). In other words, my share of 10% of the company should be the same whether the allocation of the shares is based upon the initial price of 330p or 475p. I hope.

Going back some years, many people held on to allocated shares too long and eventually getting stung by the downturn in the stock market. Shares in the Halifax building society reached nearly £10 a share, with people hanging on until over £10. As it so happened, they then crashed. 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#47 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

Is it really so disorganised that this hasn't been addressed in the communications to you?

All in all it's been sold off too cheaply, even if one accepts the argument that it should have been sold.

#48 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

Is it really so disorganised that this hasn't been addressed in the communications to you?

All in all it's been sold off too cheaply, even if one accepts the argument that it should have been sold.

To be fair they probably have communicated it to us, but you get so much propaganda from them that I've probably missed it. Royal Mail keep the mail system running solely on its communications to its staff!

It has been sold too cheaply, but ideology was always the motivation behind privatising state enterprise rather than maximising the proceeds for the taxpayer.

#49 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

Going back some years, many people held on to allocated shares too long and eventually getting stung by the downturn in the stock market. Shares in the Halifax building society reached nearly £10 a share, with people hanging on until over £10. As it so happened, they then crashed.

We've got to keep ours for at least three years.

#50 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

It has been sold too cheaply, but ideology was always the motivation behind privatising state enterprise rather than maximising the proceeds for the taxpayer.

Surely even the most left wing of us would understand the motivation of capitalists if they actually strove to maximise the income when they sell something on our behalf. Sadly they are to concerned with buying it cheaply and flogging it on.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 15 October 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#51 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Does anyone on here have any knowledge about the rules on being made redundant and whether you can get your job back (or it be offered to someone else) Is there a minimum period or whatever?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#52 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

Does anyone on here have any knowledge about the rules on being made redundant and whether you can get your job back (or it be offered to someone else) Is there a minimum period or whatever?

They have to wait six months to replace you.  If they advertise/recruit somebody for the same role then you should go to an IT, however unless they're completely stupid they will have worded it so that it is significantly different on paper (change of title, flowered up the spec).  If you can show it's effectively the same role then you can take action.

Get the information that you have (however space or thorough) and get down to the CAB. 

Remember that they have made the role redundant and not you as a person.  So if they recruit to the same role, then they've screwed up.  If the role is very similar to your old one, then they should have at the very least asked you to apply before showing you the door.  Did you sign a compromise agreement?

Edited by Larry the Leit, 16 October 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#53 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for that.

It will be exactly the same role...working with the same people...100% the same. I don't want to jump the gun because they may well ring me up and offer it back to me. But they haven't yet and I know people have applied internally.

Edited by Johnoco, 16 October 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#54 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for that.

It will be exactly the same role...working with the same people...100% the same. I don't want to jump the gun because they may well ring me up and offer it back to me. But they haven't yet and I know people have applied internally.

They've already screwed up.  Get down the CAB.  

Sounds to me, and don't take this the wrong way, that they wanted rid of you for reasons that are not disclosed.  Either cost, perceived performance/attitude issues etc.

Idiots.

#55 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

They've already screwed up.  Get down the CAB.  

Sounds to me, and don't take this the wrong way, that they wanted rid of you for reasons that are not disclosed.  Either cost, perceived performance/attitude issues etc.

Idiots.

i think you are right. But I can live with that as the people who decided I had to go were not skilled in the area that they decided about. A bit like me deciding who should go from an IT dept or something. Thanks again, I will dig further.

#56 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

I have been offered another job* at SAGA, based here in Hastings at £11,400, am I selling myself short?

*Working in telesales

Post has arrived, I just got a tax rebate from HMRC of £1000+

Booked a train & hotel in Swinton, for Dec 22/23 as it's 20 years since my Dad died. As I haven't visited the cemetary or my Bruv, the Pinks fan, in 5 years,

Edited by Bleep1673, 26 October 2013 - 09:52 AM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#57 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

i think you are right. But I can live with that as the people who decided I had to go were not skilled in the area that they decided about. A bit like me deciding who should go from an IT dept or something. Thanks again, I will dig further.

Any update Mr O'Connor?

#58 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

Any update Mr O'Connor?

Hey, thanks ;). After a little digging I found that they can offer the position to anyone they like and are under no obligation to offer it back to you. I decided to draw a line under it and move on. I suspect the company will be gone in 6 months to a year anyway and might as well make a new start now.

Edited by Johnoco, 05 November 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#59 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

Hey, thanks ;). After a little digging I found that they can offer the position to anyone they like and are under no obligation to offer it back to you. I decided to draw a line under it and move on. I suspect the company will be gone in 6 months to a year anyway and might as well make a new start now.

All the best with that john

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#60 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

I'd agree with the view that they didn't have to offer it to you. However from what you've described they've made the position redundant and then immediately advertised for the same position. This isn't legal within six months.

If you've drawn a line under it then fair enough. I'll let you know if we have any vacancies, touring with my band, although you would have to leave your odd political views at home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users