Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup vs Work Productivity

Is it going to take a hit?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

My work productivity has been shamefully down over the last 48 hours. This is almost fully due to WC distractions. I now have serious concerns about the next month/six weeks and my potential shameful behaviour. Supposed to produce 3 reports this week and none of the have been started. It was the England announcement stream then reactions, #dallym on twitter - it is already getting out of hand. I haven't even started on the NRL and SL GFs yet.

There have been peaks in the past around a Test or CCF or GF but this shebang is pretty much two months full on from now! Anyone else in the same boat?  :biggrin: The excitement factor is taking over!

#2 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

I go into work. I'm currently sat at my desk at work. I'm not really doing anything, it is all about Saturday and then the World Cup for me :D

#3 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

I go into work. I'm currently sat at my desk at work. I'm not really doing anything, it is all about Saturday and then the World Cup for me :D

Social media and smart phones are the curse of all evil. In the good old days it was sneaky tabs/minimise. Now you can spend all day covering it on all fronts. Am pretty much ruined.

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Same here. Apart from the fact that I have mainly four day weeks during the tournament, I expect my productivity during those 4 days may be at a record low!

#5 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Same here. Apart from the fact that I have mainly four day weeks during the tournament, I expect my productivity during those 4 days may be at a record low!

Not to mention, the liklihood of catching a severe cold necessitating a day or two off sick.

#6 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

I'm typically frustrated by the team selection but I'm excited for the RLWC nonetheless and looking forward to seeing what is shaping to be a near capacity John Smiths for the England v Ireland game and also to be able to see the Kumuls play live v the Kiwis at Headingly

Can't bloody wait!

#7 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

I had a load of tickets arrive in the post yesterday so have been busy handing those out at work today. My work ethic will be non-existent come the 25 Oct 13. Can't wait! :D

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

I'm typically frustrated by the team selection but I'm excited for the RLWC nonetheless and looking forward to seeing what is shaping to be a near capacity John Smiths for the England v Ireland game and also to be able to see the Kumuls play live v the Kiwis at Headingly

Can't bloody wait!

saw somebody saying on twitter yesterday that there are fewer than 7k tickets left for the Eng v Ire game at Hudds.

Last time we played Ireland in a proper game we got around 16k.

#9 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

saw somebody saying on twitter yesterday that there are fewer than 7k tickets left for the Eng v Ire game at Hudds.

Last time we played Ireland in a proper game we got around 16k.

And last time we played a 4N match at Huddersfield against NZ we got 19k. Just shows you what can be done by planning big international events in advance and promoting them like big international events. In 2000 we got 5,736 and 10,052 for England's two other pool games.

#10 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

I have the following dates booked off:

Fri 25th Oct
Mon 28th Oct
Wed 30th Oct
Thu 31st Oct
Fri 1st Nov
Mon 4th Nov
Tue 5th Nov
Wed 6th Nov
Thu 7th Nov
Fri 8th Nov
Mon 11th Nov
Fri 15th Nov
Sat 16th Nov
Sun 17th Nov
Mon 18th Nov
Fri 29th Nov

Saying that, I'll probably log in remotely on some of those days. I have no plans during the day time!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#11 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

Thought I would bring this thread back to life as I have done sod all in the last 24 hours other than read websites, post on message boards and watch videos. My work output so far this week is going to be about 5% max.

Looking at the activity on here in the last couple of days it seems I am not the only one. :D

#12 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 844 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

At least you guys get to watch live games during normal waking hours. There's going to be serious sleep deprivation for the next month for me. I'm buying a recorder just for this tournament so I don't miss a single game but I'll want to watch as many live as I can manage.

#13 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

I've come into work this morning with the full intention of getting lots of stuff done. However, it is now 9.20 and I am still on my RLWC round up. :)

#14 MattSantos

MattSantos
  • Coach
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

It's only going to get worse... a lot of 6/7am starts to ensure that i can get home for midweek games.

#15 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

I've come into work this morning with the full intention of getting lots of stuff done. However, it is now 9.20 and I am still on my RLWC round up. :)

Snap!

#16 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

Im lucky in that part of my job is related to the World Cup at the moment so im getting a fix whilst actually doing my job which is a win win. But people keep chasing me for non RL related things! Do they not understand?!

#17 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

Same here. Fortunately/unfortunately, I'm working from home predominately throughout the tournament. Can't see much work getting done to be honest.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#18 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Snap!

Still on it :biggrin: although breaking now for a cup of tea obviously.

#19 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,695 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

Productivity will actually increase dramatically  as we all abandon the forum for six weeks.

#20 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

Same here. Fortunately/unfortunately, I'm working from home predominately throughout the tournament. Can't see much work getting done to be honest.

I think I might do the same. I've got a lot of time booked off but I'll probably log in remotely at my parents' house.

I've taken all this time off, but the matches are local for all my mates that are going to them so they're all at work during the day. I'm going to be so bored between matches!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users