Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kindle or parperbacks/hardbacks

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

My wife June has read some of my book on Kindle but remains adamant she will stay loyal to her paperbacks/hardbacks. On the other hand, her sister enjoys reading on Kindle. Do you favour one more than the other?

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

I was a fervent supporter of paper over eBooks until my wife got me a Kindle a few years ago, now it's a very rare occasion that I read a paper book these days.  I still have a few bookcases full of books but I have almost as many on my Kindle these days.

It's far easier being a commuter or going abroad with an eBook reader, I can carry my entire library with me easily.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

You can read a book in the bath, though!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#4 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

You can read a book in the bath, though!

I read my Kindle in the bath... just have to be bloody careful about it...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

I read my Kindle in the bath... just have to be bloody careful about it...

I take it they're not waterproof then.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#6 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:58 PM

I was a fervent supporter of paper over eBooks until my wife got me a Kindle a few years ago, now it's a very rare occasion that I read a paper book these days.  I still have a few bookcases full of books but I have almost as many on my Kindle these days.

It's far easier being a commuter or going abroad with an eBook reader, I can carry my entire library with me easily.

I find it easy to read with an eBook reader.

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

I take it they're not waterproof then.

About as waterproof as a book but significantly more expensive to replace!

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

Kindle all the way.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

another vote for Kindle here. Now when I go away on business (family holidays I'm too busy to read on) my bag used that have 3 books in weighing it down. Now I've just got the kindle in my hand baggage and its got about 20 books I haven't read on it yet.

#10 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

I was a kindle sceptic too, until I actually had a go on one my friend had. Really are a top invention. For those that are a bit weary of it, it isn’t an either/or choice, both can clearly co-exist, happily so. Whilst I think the paperback market has been hit somewhat, I’ve read that the hardback marked has actually grown as people would rather gift something they have read on an e-reader as a hardback. Plus I've read so many books I'd never have touched before by trying out the free sample features.

It’s about time physical copies came with some sort of code so you could download an e-copy if you wanted. Even the comics industry in the US has managed to get its head around this – with big titles anyway – and they are usually quite stuck in the past. It seems the big publishers are very reluctant to do this, but something is going to have to be done soon IMO.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 02 October 2013 - 08:36 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#11 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

I have had a kindle for about 3 years, my Mrs bought me one for my birthday.
All the books I used to read I used to buy because of the portability of them, light books.
Now with a Kindle I can choose to read thicker books that really interest me.
I have read, among others this year, The Sugar Barons, which in paperback is nearly 2 inches thick, and I am reading The Norman Conquest which is nearly as thick.
I am very, very pro Kindle.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

My Mum has one. I think she likes it. The only down side for her is she's a big lover of going to the library and charity shops for books she likes or thinks she likes. Basically it's the cheap and cheerful turnover she misses, I think she only buys ebooks for pence and has never been one for the best sellers, etc.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

Why are so many ebooks so expensive? It can't be production costs

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#14 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

Why are so many ebooks so expensive? It can't be production costs

VAT doesn't help.  Physical books have no VAT but removing the 20% VAT from ebooks keeps getting delayed by the government as "we'll get to it eventually, but not now".

#15 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

Greed?  Must be partially because if a hardback retails at £8, and the e-book is £3 then hardback sales will fall. I think publishers are scared of ebooks because they haven't a clue what to do or how to structure their business now. I don't mind paying a bit for an ebook really, but I'd like to know more was going to the writer than usual. Someone has still slogged their guts out to write it.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

You''ve still got to pay the mug who spent months writing it.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#17 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Kindles here to, my good lady was reluctant, but got a Kindle Paperwhite and has not looked back.

I use a Kindle app, so whilst reading a book on your phone isn't ideal, its come in handy stuck on a train unprepared for delays on many an occasion!

#18 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

Greed?  Must be partially because if a hardback retails at £8, and the e-book is £3 then hardback sales will fall. I think publishers are scared of ebooks because they haven't a clue what to do or how to structure their business now. I don't mind paying a bit for an ebook really, but I'd like to know more was going to the writer than usual. Someone has still slogged their guts out to write it.

Took me over four years to put mine together and with huge problems along the way. I am still unsure how the vat works with Amazon!. One publisher said don't worry about it. They do take 30%, as well as any profits subject to income tax.

Regards paperbacks/hardbacks, such as WH Smiths take a cut of 50%, while the smaller outlets from 25%. Unless you are a top author then there is little to be gained financially, with it being much a labour of love. I have lost track of how much I have forked out over the four years!

#19 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

I've completely given up reading. At the moment I'm listening to the "Gold Coast" by Nelson Demille.
As I'm in and out of my car all day I find it great to be able to listen as I go.
I have them on my phone so it's convenient too.

Edited by bearman, 02 October 2013 - 11:43 AM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#20 Rodill Rover

Rodill Rover
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

Kindle for me, I have tolerated books reluctantly all my life. I have recently had a Paperwhite bought for me and get on really well with the whole set up, I can now buy a book and have it to read within seconds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users