Kindle or parperbacks/hardbacks

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Amazon's 'Matchbook' scheme - a bit like their 'Autorip' service, but for books.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#42 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,643 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

Using my kindle on holiday right now
Belting piece of kit apart from the keyboard becoming french at the moment
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#43 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,764 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Amazon's 'Matchbook' scheme - a bit like their 'Autorip' service, but for books.

You tease you... not out in the UK yet.

I've hundreds of books bought from Amazon over the years that I'd love to be able to move to ebook version but I'm too tight to pay the idiot prices for the ebooks.  There are many paperbacks that you can buy for trivial prices in shops or even in omnibus editions yet the ebook prices are ridiculous considering there's no physical element to the long remaindered book.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#44 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

I've hundreds of books bought from Amazon over the years that I'd love to be able to move to ebook version but I'm too tight to pay the idiot prices for the ebooks.  There are many paperbacks that you can buy for trivial prices in shops or even in omnibus editions yet the ebook prices are ridiculous considering there's no physical element to the long remaindered book.

It took about 5-6 months for Autorip to make its way across the Atlantic. There are a few books I've lost/given away that I wouldn't mind having again if the price was right (or zero). 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#45 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

Out of interest Craig, what prices would you say are OK, if any. Taking account of the loads of money spent on mine and Amazon's 30% take, as well as VAT, it is difficult working out a reasonable price? With SSAFA not getting back in touch, I have reduced mine to £4.94, with hopefully some money going to a junior football club I watch on Saturdays. 

#46 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,764 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

Out of interest Craig, what prices would you say are OK, if any. Taking account of the loads of money spent on mine and Amazon's 30% take, as well as VAT, it is difficult working out a reasonable price? With SSAFA not getting back in touch, I have reduced mine to £4.94, with hopefully some money going to a junior football club I watch on Saturdays. 

A friend who works for a publishing house took me through the fiction book process, I've no idea about the non-fiction market so can't comment!

For fiction books that are still on hardback or first release sale then I see nothing wrong with a hardback book being in the £10-£20 range with an ebook rate of similar to account for the VAT addition.  Most authors still get paid per copy at that stage.

For books that the author has sold as a paperback job-lot then the £5-£10 mark is fine for the first year or so, again ebook price would be about the same.  Authors usually don't get a bean once they sign over paperback rights but the publishers want their money back at least.

Once books get into the year plus category then they're remainder bin material and will only get republished if they're a big seller.  This is the point that ebooks should be discounted down to a few £ as there's absolutely no physical cost to the publisher and every ebook is money in the bank.  At that time, it'd have to be still in the bestseller top 10 for me to think that it's worth more than £5.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#47 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

A friend who works for a publishing house took me through the fiction book process, I've no idea about the non-fiction market so can't comment!

For fiction books that are still on hardback or first release sale then I see nothing wrong with a hardback book being in the £10-£20 range with an ebook rate of similar to account for the VAT addition.  Most authors still get paid per copy at that stage.

For books that the author has sold as a paperback job-lot then the £5-£10 mark is fine for the first year or so, again ebook price would be about the same.  Authors usually don't get a bean once they sign over paperback rights but the publishers want their money back at least.

Once books get into the year plus category then they're remainder bin material and will only get republished if they're a big seller.  This is the point that ebooks should be discounted down to a few £ as there's absolutely no physical cost to the publisher and every ebook is money in the bank.  At that time, it'd have to be still in the bestseller top 10 for me to think that it's worth more than £5.

Thanks for the reply. The way I look at it is that there has been a huge outlay putting the book together, so I'll stick at the price for now and see how it goes. One thing for sure, I won't end up flushed with money.  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users