Player in/out the WC squad

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

Just looking at the squad and who I had thought would be in/out, just wondered who people thought were the luckiest player to be in and the unluckiest to be left out of the fringe players given we knew the likes of Sinfield as captain were certs.

For luckiest I'd go with one of; McIllorum, Briscoe and Tom Burgess.

Of the unluckiest to be left out; Lunt, Ratchford and Crabtree.

I do think that there are merits to all decisions though and certainly won't join the berating by many on here of McNamara as I think positivity and support of the tournament and the England team is what is now needed, not a people disagree with me so I hope the tournament and team fail attitude.

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

Not many dream team picks in the squad is there?
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#3 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

Of the dream team not included, I'd say Crooks and Lineham are not quite ready for the Aussies and Kiwis, Brough chose to play for Scotland, the continuity of the spine is the reason why no Smith, Peacock made himself unavailable, Lunt and Crabtree I agree we're unlucky, and both second rowers could do a job, but he has again gone for continuity in Ablett and Farrell as back up to Burgess and Westwood. An explosive Hock off the bench could well be the difference between winning and losing so I would always have him there.

#4 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

Lunt should be in above mcilorum

#5 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

Unluckiest is clearly Jack Reed getting injured at the wrong time. Briscoe must have scraped into the squad after a largely anonymous season.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#6 7723

• Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

Luckiest - Kevin Sinfield, Ablett, Burrow

Unluckiest - Crabtree, L. Burgess, Ratchford

#7 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

I think Ratchford has to be classed as very unlucky there. Really surprised he wasn't in the squad as he can provide coverage all over the back line. I'd pretty much back to do a job in any single digit shirt except 8. With a limited squad I would have thought that having a player who can cover that many positions well would be worth his weight in gold.

#8 Rodill Rover

Rodill Rover
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

I fully agree. to leave Ratchford out is a mistake, his position sense when retrieving high kicks is one of  the best I have seen this season, and can very often turn it into a good attacking position, the type of player that can make the half break and slip a pass.
He may get his chance if anyone has to pull out though, as SE4Wire says he is an ideal utility player.

Edited by Rodill Rover, 02 October 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#9 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

I wouldn't say he is lucky but i am not sure that Liam Farrell has the size to make an impact against the likes of Australia & NZ.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#10 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

I wouldn't say he is lucky but i am not sure that Liam Farrell has the size to make an impact against the likes of Australia & NZ.

Is he big for a second row/lock I thought he was about average size?

#11 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

Ratchford is unlucky, offers far more than Hardaker. He can play fb, centre & half back, Hardaker can only play fb to a high degree. At centre and hb he wouldn't get in the Leeds team never mind England.

McNamara might have watched the Hudds v Wigan game where Crabtree only lasted 16 mins before being hooked. Lunt disappeared as well. McIlorum played the 80 and Mossop long minutes too.
GF Play Off games are big games as are England World Cup games. Crabtree and Lunt couldn't hack it, McIlorum and Mossop could.

#12 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Ratchford is unlucky, offers far more than Hardaker. He can play fb, centre & half back, Hardaker can only play fb to a high degree. At centre and hb he wouldn't get in the Leeds team never mind England.

McNamara might have watched the Hudds v Wigan game where Crabtree only lasted 16 mins before being hooked. Lunt disappeared as well. McIlorum played the 80 and Mossop long minutes too.
GF Play Off games are big games as are England World Cup games. Crabtree and Lunt couldn't hack it, McIlorum and Mossop could.

When Hardaker did play at centre for Leeds he was terrible.I've only ever seen him play HB once and that was his debut for Leeds in the u20's.He did actually look quite good.Although it was only the u20's.

Have to agree about Ratchford,offers more cover and crucially,creativity.

Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#13 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

Tom Burgess for sure. He’s not progressed as much as the others, although he’s only been down under less than a year to be fair. Still turns over the ball far too easily, something that blighted his game too often at the Bulls.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#14 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

Tom Burgess for sure. He’s not progressed as much as the others, although he’s only been down under less than a year to be fair. Still turns over the ball far too easily, something that blighted his game too often at the Bulls.

Tom Burgess is only selected for the Marketing angle, Twins, three Burgess boys in the squad.

He played nine NRL games this year, does that make you an English Test player?

Edited by AndyCapp, 02 October 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#15 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Lunt should be in above mcilorum

My thoughts exactly!

#16 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Tom Burgess is only selected for the Marketing angle, Twins, three Burgess boys in the squad.

He played nine NRL games this year, does that make you an English Test player?

I've no doubt that had some influence the decision, although at this moment in time Luke deserves a place more than Tom (for what it's worth I only think Sam and George are worthy of places in the squad)

Edited by Amber Avenger, 02 October 2013 - 02:15 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#17 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

Unlucky

Ratchford.

Followed by Goulding and Lunt

#18 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 423 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

Definitely the luckiest player is Sinfield, he has this aura about him that is totally manufactured when it comes to his offerings as an international player, good club player yes, international no. He has never caused problems to the big two and they will not need any special or particular instruction to nullify him.

McNamara sees him as the savior of English Rugby League for some reason, His kicking game is nowhere near the best in SL, he has never been blessed with great pace - and certainly not with the passing years - his tackling is adequate, and his distribution OK, in total, quite an average player, no wonder there were jeers from all corners of the globe when he was nominated the Worlds Best 

I will challenge anyone to tell me who he is better than if he is selected at 6,7,9 or 13 than other members of this current squad, in fact I would go as far to say that he has never been the best that could have been selected in any of those positions in any Rep game he has played.

Hope I am totally wrong but even accounting for our weak centers I think he will prove to be "The Weakest Link" 

This is not a Kevin Sinfield assassination, it is just pointing out reality. 

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#19 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 423 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

Definitely the luckiest player is Sinfield, he has this aura about him that is totally manufactured when it comes to his offerings as an international player, good club player yes, international no. He has never caused problems to the big two and they will not need any special or particular instruction to nullify him.

McNamara sees him as the savior of English Rugby League for some reason, His kicking game is nowhere near the best in SL, he has never been blessed with great pace - and certainly not with the passing years - his tackling is adequate, and his distribution OK, in total, quite an average player, no wonder there were jeers from all corners of the globe when he was nominated the Worlds Best - 

I will challenge anyone to tell me who he is better than if he is selected at 6,7,9 or 13 than other members of this current squad, in fact I would go as far to say that he has never been the best that could have been selected in any of those positions in any Rep game he has played.

Hope I am totally wrong but even accounting for our weak centers I think he will prove to be "The Weakest Link" 

This is not a Kevin Sinfield assassination, it is just pointing out reality. 

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#20 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

If he has never caused problems to the big 2 how has he been MOM in his last 2 games v NZ?

Just sayin like ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users