Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Luckiest and unluckiest

Player in/out the WC squad

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

If he has never caused problems to the big 2 how has he been MOM in his last 2 games v NZ?

Just sayin like ;-)

Didn't you read the post where games against NZ don't count,c'mon, get with the  program. ;)

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 02 October 2013 - 04:05 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#22 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,078 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

I find myself in the unusual position of defending Kevin Sinfield, the man who can literally whinge for England.

His high kicks spiral and tumble in flight like no-else's that I've seen. Also, he doesn't disappear when things aren't going right for him.

It's also likely that Sean O'Loughlin won't be fully fit. I think Sam Burgess will end up playing for a bit in three different positions during a game. I also think that, at the very least, Gareth Hock and Michael McIlorum will spend time in the sin bin. KS is able to cover loose forward, stand-off and hooker.

Zak Hardaker and Tom Burgess are the luckiest players. Big Eorl, Danny Houghton and Stefan Ratchford are the unluckiest.

Still, I'm not complaining.

:biggrin:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#23 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

ratchford is by far the unluckiest, the best utility player in super league by a country mile.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#24 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

ratchford is by far the unluckiest, the best utility player in super league by a country mile.

I agree here. I would definitely have picked Ratchford and then one of Briscoe or Hardaker.

#25 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

Luckiest - Briscoe
Unluckiest - Lunt

#26 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:48 AM

Next to Richard Whiting you obviously meant! ;)
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#27 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:50 AM

Double post - but Richard Whiting, whilst unfortunately too slow, is the most versatile player in SL by a country mile :)

Edited by Roy Boy, 03 October 2013 - 01:53 AM.

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#28 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:28 AM

Double post - but Richard Whiting, whilst unfortunately too slow, is the most versatile player in SL by a country mile :)

Whiting is like Kevin Sinfield, but he's actually good.

#29 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

Whiting is like Kevin Sinfield, but he's actually good.

Blasphemous that is. You can't criticise royalty like that. You are referring to a player that is truly world class.....

I'm a fan of Whitjng but the difference between him and KS is that he's not quite good enough in any position he plays for his club to get an international cap...........

#30 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

Definitely the luckiest player is Sinfield, he has this aura about him that is totally manufactured when it comes to his offerings as an international player, good club player yes, international no. He has never caused problems to the big two and they will not need any special or particular instruction to nullify him.

McNamara sees him as the savior of English Rugby League for some reason, His kicking game is nowhere near the best in SL, he has never been blessed with great pace - and certainly not with the passing years - his tackling is adequate, and his distribution OK, in total, quite an average player, no wonder there were jeers from all corners of the globe when he was nominated the Worlds Best -

I will challenge anyone to tell me who he is better than if he is selected at 6,7,9 or 13 than other members of this current squad, in fact I would go as far to say that he has never been the best that could have been selected in any of those positions in any Rep game he has played.

Hope I am totally wrong but even accounting for our weak centers I think he will prove to be "The Weakest Link"

This is not a Kevin Sinfield assassination, it is just pointing out reality.

You've nailed that....

#31 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,078 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

Definitely the luckiest player is Sinfield

I will challenge anyone to tell me who he is better than if he is selected at 6,7,9 or 13 than other members of this current squad,

When it comes to goal kicking and tactical kicking, all of them.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#32 7723

• Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

His tactical kicking against Wigan was awful, no where near as good as Matty Smiths. I would also challenge it isn't as good as Widdops.

A player should not be picked on how good his kicking is either, it should be how good a player he is inclusive of kicking. He is not as good at hooker as Roby, he is not as good at half back as Matty Smith, Rangi Chase, Gareth Widdop, Richie Myler etc, he is not as good at loose forward as Sean O'Loughlin and Sam Burgess. All these players should be starting ahead of Sinfield and if it's only his kicking keeping him in the team then that is wrong.

#33 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

How did Sinfield ever make the grade as a pro player with poor distribution skills,no pace or vision and a terrible kicking game?

#34 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

His tactical kicking against Wigan was awful, no where near as good as Matty Smiths. I would also challenge it isn't as good as Widdops.

A player should not be picked on how good his kicking is either, it should be how good a player he is inclusive of kicking. He is not as good at hooker as Roby, he is not as good at half back as Matty Smith, Rangi Chase, Gareth Widdop, Richie Myler etc, he is not as good at loose forward as Sean O'Loughlin and Sam Burgess. All these players should be starting ahead of Sinfield and if it's only his kicking keeping him in the team then that is wrong.

Your basing Sinfields game on one playoff game where his team were beaten all over the park, what about last years playoffs where he was outstanding in every single one of them?

He does one thing better than all of the players you mention and that is lead the team and organise, look how the team practically fell apart against the exiles when he went off injured.

We get it you don't rate him but don't make stuff up to try prove your point.

Edited by christopher, 04 October 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#35 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

How did Sinfield ever make the grade as a pro player with poor distribution skills,no pace or vision and a terrible kicking game?

Obviously he's just lucky as he was when he's won and captained a team to 6 grand finals, won the HS trophy in two of them won the lance Todd trophy, golden boot, WCC etc etc, all pure luck.

#36 7723

• Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

Your basing Sinfields game on one playoff game where his team were beaten all over the park, what about last years playoffs where he was outstanding in every single one of them?

He does one thing better than all of the players you mention and that is lead the team and organise, look how the team practically fell apart against the exiles when he went off injured.

We get it you don't rate him but don't make stuff up to try prove your point.

I haven't made anything up. Played off the park by Matty Smith in a high pressure game. Fact.

Isn't as good as good as all the players I mentioned in there positions. Fact.

You could easily find another captain to lead and organise the team.

You really do love him don't you!!

#37 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

Straws, clutching, at.

He does the ordinary things consistently quite well. No more than that.

#38 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

I haven't made anything up. Played off the park by Matty Smith in a high pressure game. Fact.

Your first point is a fact (although I didn't realise England selection was based on one game) the second is subjective and not a fact, you writing it doesn't make it so I'm afraid.

You really don't like him do you?

#39 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

So your selection criteria is based on one game.

Opinion,not fact.

#40 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

C'mon Terry, no one has said that he isn't a super league player that isn't worth is salt in any team you could name, it his selection in the International team, let alone the jack of all trades he is purported to be, don't forget that we who are criticising his inclusion have observed him in many many matches over the years - curtesy of TV - we are not watching our own and favoured players we are taking an abject view of his skills/performances as you know doubt do yourself when watching games and players other than the ones Leeds are involved in. 

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users