Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Luckiest and unluckiest

Player in/out the WC squad

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 7723

• Coach
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

Your first point is a fact (although I didn't realise England selection was based on one game) the second is subjective and not a fact, you writing it doesn't make it so I'm afraid.

You really don't like him do you?

I don't mind Sinfield at all. I've not said he isn't a good player, just that he isn't as good as the ones he is potentially keeping out of the squad. I don't believe he is international class. He has a decent kicking game, nothing more then any other decent kicker in superleague.

#42 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,089 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

C'mon Terry, no one has said that he isn't a super league player that isn't worth is salt in any team you could name, it his selection in the International team, let alone the jack of all trades he is purported to be, don't forget that we who are criticising his inclusion have observed him in many many matches over the years - curtesy of TV - we are not watching our own and favoured players we are taking an abject view of his skills/performances as you know doubt do yourself when watching games and players other than the ones Leeds are involved in. 

Yet it seems odd that he keeps getting selected and is now captain despite  been such an average player,in the eyes of some.Funny how other players who continually got selected were above criticism.Never mind as TMFISL says "Haters gonna hate".I shall leave it at that.

Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#43 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

I don't mind Sinfield at all. I've not said he isn't a good player, just that he isn't as good as the ones he is potentially keeping out of the squad. I don't believe he is international class. He has a decent kicking game, nothing more then any other decent kicker in superleague.

Fine that's your opinion, no need to state it as fact though.

My personal opinion is you will see a difference in Sinfield now he has been given the same role as he has for Leeds, something which prior to last years internationals he's not had for England.

I tend not to look at the game as black and white, we need a good team to beat the Australians and agood team is made up of many components and isn't just a case of selection people because they outplayed other people in one game at the end of the season.

McNamara has been building this squad for 3 years trying to build a team environment and one where players know each other's games and know there roles within the team, this is the best approach IMO, and to say Sinfirld is lucky to be I the side because Matty Smith had a better game in a playoff series is just stupid and seems a bit petty to me.

#44 7723

• Coach
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

Fine that's your opinion, no need to state it as fact though.

My personal opinion is you will see a difference in Sinfield now he has been given the same role as he has for Leeds, something which prior to last years internationals he's not had for England.

I tend not to look at the game as black and white, we need a good team to beat the Australians and agood team is made up of many components and isn't just a case of selection people because they outplayed other people in one game at the end of the season.

McNamara has been building this squad for 3 years trying to build a team environment and one where players know each other's games and know there roles within the team, this is the best approach IMO, and to say Sinfirld is lucky to be I the side because Matty Smith had a better game in a playoff series is just stupid and seems a bit petty to me.

I didn't say Sinfield is lucky to be in because Matty Smith had a better kicking game though. I was replying to someone saying no one has as good a kicking game as Sinfield. I was making the point that other players do, i.e Matty Smith last week.

#45 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Yes one game, last week, look at the bigger picture.

#46 7723

• Coach
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

Yes one game, last week, look at the bigger picture.

Lot's of players have as good a kicking game though. Matty Smith's has been outstanding all season, a lot more then one game. Gareth Widdop has a very good kicking game and is also a goal kicker. Rangi Chase is another, the list goes on.

#47 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Lot's of players have as good a kicking game though. Matty Smith's has been outstanding all season, a lot more then one game. Gareth Widdop has a very good kicking game and is also a goal kicker. Rangi Chase is another, the list goes on.

And apart from Matty Smith those other players will feature in the team, as I said look at the bigger picture, this England squad is 3 years in the making.

#48 7723

• Coach
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

I don't think your ever going to fully get what people are trying to explain to you as your love for Sinfield is so great you cannot see past it.

The bigger picture is that Sinfield is not good enough regardless of how long the England squad has been in the making. Morley has been there for the last 3 years but isn't now as he is no longer good enough. Wilkin and JJB are another 2. They have been there but aren't now. Sinfield falls into this bracket. He is simply not as good as the players he is keeping out but you can't see that obviously.

#49 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

I don't think your ever going to fully get what people are trying to explain to you as your love for Sinfield is so great you cannot see past it.

The bigger picture is that Sinfield is not good enough regardless of how long the England squad has been in the making. Morley has been there for the last 3 years but isn't now as he is no longer good enough. Wilkin and JJB are another 2. They have been there but aren't now. Sinfield falls into this bracket. He is simply not as good as the players he is keeping out but you can't see that obviously.

I don't have any great love for a Sinfield no matter how many times you and Ant bang on about it.

It's not me who is blind, you are stating he is not good enough as though it's fact, it isn't it's your opinion and not one which the England coach shares. He's also not keeping most of the players out he will he playing along side them why you keep stating he's keeping them out I don't know.

What I can see is McNamara has built his team over 3 years to compete in this World Cup, you and I may disagree with some if his selections but you seem to want to rift them off before a game is played.

My prediction is we'll be the second best team in this WC, not because McNamara has picked the wrong squad it will simply because the Australian side is a far better team than we can put out. I think we'll beat them in the opening game, meet them in the final and get beat, and I'm sure you'll be on here if that happens saying 'I told you so' Sinfield was rubbish when in reality things aren't as black and white as you seem to think.

You also don't seem to take into account a point I made earlier about this being the first time in a proper series Sinfield will be given the same role as he has held very successfully at Leeds let's see how he goes.

I also get the feeling you'd prefer the SL dream team to be the England team? I'm not sure using a made up team selected by journalists is the best way forward do you?

Edited by christopher, 04 October 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#50 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,089 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

I don't have any great love for a Sinfield no matter how many times you and Ant bang on about it.

It's not me who is blind, you are stating he is not good enough as though it's fact, it isn't it's your opinion and not one which the England coach shares. He's also not keeping most of the players out he will he playing along side them why you keep stating he's keeping them out I don't know.

What I can see is McNamara has built his team over 3 years to compete

DELETED

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 04 October 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#51 7723

• Coach
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

I also get the feeling you'd prefer the SL dream team to be the England team? I'm not sure using a made up team selected by journalists is the best way forward do you?

How could you possibly get that feeling. I would have Kirmond in over Ablett, Lomax over Burrow, Ratchford over Hardacre and the water boy over Kevin Sinfield.

#52 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,089 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

How could you possibly get that feeling. I would have Kirmond in over Ablett, Lomax over Burrow, Ratchford over Hardacre and the water boy over Kevin Sinfield.

So any player but a Leeds one then.FACT.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 04 October 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#53 7723

• Coach
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

So any player but a Leeds one then.FACT.

Your opinion. Wrong opinion.

I would still have Ryan Hall and Kallum Watkins as they are the strongest players in there position. In my opinion Kirmond is better then Ablett, Lomax is a better player then Burrow and can cover 2/3 positions, Ratchford is better then Hardacre and very versatile and Sinfield is rubbish but as we all know, no one can say anything about Leed's players or there fans have a little cry.

#54 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,089 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Your opinion. Wrong opinion.

I would still have Ryan Hall and Kallum Watkins as they are the strongest players in there position. In my opinion Kirmond is better then Ablett, Lomax is a better player then Burrow and can cover 2/3 positions, Ratchford is better then Hardacre and very versatile and Sinfield is rubbish but as we all know, no one can say anything about Leed's players or there fans have a little cry.

Can opinions be wrong.Like you I have  ended my statement with the word  FACT.Going by your logic it is indeed a fact and not an opinion.Which is it to be ,you can't have it both ways.Not crying,just offering counter points.to you sinfield may be rubbish,it's your opinion,you are enttiled to it but doesn't really help prove anything in this case does it.It  just makes you look bitter and pathetic.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 04 October 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#55 7723

• Coach
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

Can opinions be wrong.Like you I have  ended my statement with the word  FACT.Going by your logic it is indeed a fact and not an opinion.Which is it to be ,you can't have it both ways.Not crying,just offering counter points.Calm down dear.

You watch the Leed's players far too much, you have picked up there expert whinging skills. Fact. Name calling I see.

Edited by 7723, 04 October 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#56 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

It's statements likes 'sinfield is rubbish' and ' have a little cry' that just weaken your standpoint as you just come across like a bit of a petulant child.

#57 7723

• Coach
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

It's statements likes 'sinfield is rubbish' and ' have a little cry' that just weaken your standpoint as you just come across like a bit of a petulant child.

It's when you can't admit that a player from the team you support isn't the be all and end all that make you and Terry (Sinfield s mum and dad) look pathetic.

#58 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,089 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

You watch the Leed's players far too much, you have picked up there expert whinging skills. Fact.

Being a Leeds supporter ,yes i do watch them.As for whinging,nah,again countering your patheitc non argument.FACT.

It's when you can't admit that a player from the team you support isn't the be all and end all that make you and Terry (Sinfield s mum and dad) look pathetic.

Resorting to insults.Oh dear.no one has said he is the be all and end all,myself and christoper have stated we think he is worthy of his inculsion in the England squad.nothing more,nothing less.By the way 7723 who do you support?

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 04 October 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#59 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Grow up.

#60 7723

• Coach
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Is being related to Sinfield insulting? You do whinge an awful lot. I have never seen a statement made about Sinfield that you two have waded into because someone dare criticise Sinfield.

So arguing Sinfield shouldn't be in the squad is pathetic but saying he should isn't. Hmm interesting. I will bear that in mind going forward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users