Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NCL open debate / forum meeting

Hul clubs

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

To all member NCL Clubs

This is an invitation to all Chairman and Club Secretaries to attend a Open Debate/Forum meeting at Leigh Miners Welfare Clubhouse on Tuesday 8th October 2013, 8pm.
 I have been asked by the 4 other NCL Hull clubs to call this Open Debate/Forum meeting to discuss the future of the amateur game after number of discussions with other clubs during the present playing season.

Please speak to your club playing staff/ committee members and volunteers on all matters relating the amateur game and bring there views up on the night.
We hope for all clubs to attended the evening and have `YOUR SAY`.
There will be a short Presentation to start the meeting.

Your in Sport
Des Fox
Myton Warriors ARLC.

Sent to all NCL clubs by the above

#2 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

Reply from NCL Chairman Trevor Hunt

All,

By now you will all have received the email from Des Fox of Myton which he has issued on behalf of the Hull clubs.
 To be fair to Des he did inform me last week of his intention to do so, and of course he is perfectly within his rights to speak with any clubs or persons with which he wishes to do so.
 However I must stress that this is a meeting without sanction of the NCL League Management and one which we have specifically been asked not to attend.
 I must therefore state that I am more than a little disappointed that Des and the Hull clubs have not chosen to discuss their particular issues with either myself as Chairman, or any other member of the committee before taking this course of action. Nor have they asked their club representatives to take their concerns to the Management meeting. 
 I have offered to travel to Hull to meet with all the Hull clubs either collectively or individually to try and understand their particular issues and I am equally willing to do that for any other club(s) who would so wish me to do so.
 Des’s email states that the reason for calling the meeting is to ‘discuss the future of the amateur game’ which is a very wide remit, and without an agenda, it is very difficult to assess exactly which aspect of the future the Hull clubs would wish to discuss with other attendees, although the fact that a small presentation is to be made would suggest that someone has an idea of what they wish to discuss in particular.
 As you are all aware the NCL is a democratically run League that has its own constitution and officers elected by the clubs. Myself as Chairman, your President Peter Moran and the Vice Chairman Tony Johnson, were all voted into position at the AGM in January of this year along with the four club representatives. It is the prerogative of any of the clubs to offer alternative candidates for any and all of these posts and for successful nominees to be voted into post. Should any club feel that any member of the League Management is not fulfilling their roles in the best interest of the League and the member clubs, or indeed that they feel there is some new thinking needed, then they are at liberty to offer alternative candidates and vote against the re-election of any or all of the League Management Committee and for their own nominees at the next AGM. 

If it is felt that best interest of the League and its clubs are not best served by the League Constitution as it stands, then clubs are also at liberty to propose changes/amendments/additions which may then be voted on by the member clubs and be adopted or otherwise dependent upon that vote.
 However should the clubs feel that they cannot wait until the AGM, there is the facility to seek a Special General Meeting (SGM) which needs the backing of 30 per cent of the membership or in this case 15 clubs, with a specific motion or number of motions to be debated.
 We are well aware that there have been some issues that have arisen which need addressing as our second summer season has progressed and we are not immune to the fact that the current financial climate is hitting our sport, our clubs and our players hard.
 But we are fully committed to undertaking a review of the season (as we do at the end of every season) and are set to seek the views of the clubs at the end of the regular playing campaign to try and identify what does work, what doesn’t and what needs major overall or minor adjustments.
 All and any views are welcome, and as you all know my phone is always available, (preferably in the evenings though as I do have a day job), as are those of your other committee members. Emails or other forms of correspondence are also welcomed.
 Nobody said a transition to summer would be easy or that we would get everything right first time. Like all of you we have had to adjust our thinking and management processes and approach.
 The NCL Management are elected by you to run the League for you and you can all rest assured that we are fully committed to doing the very best for every one of our clubs as individuals and as the collective entity proudly known as the National Conference League.

Yours in Sport,
 Trevor Hunt
 Chairman of the National Conference League 

#3 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

How can it be an open debate when the people you voted in to represent you are not invited to attend ?

Or is it a vote of no confidence that is being sought ?

IMO this type of meeting serves no real purpose, if you cant air your opinions openly with everyone connected with the NCL then leave.

#4 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

I'm not aware of any particular remit or wish that the skirlaugh club return to winter, I believe this been driven very much by Myton to suit their own agenda, however I could be wrong

The only thing I would tweak would be the division size, perhaps down to 12 in the league to allow for a extra week or two off during the season

#5 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Sent to all NCL clubs by the above

First question why havent any of these clubs brought any issues up with the relevant bodies.

If they had and not received satisfactory answers then maybe call a meeting inviting all NCL but to call a meeting without even speaking to managment is the wrong way to do it.

As far as i am aware there is no agenda sent out why cant Myton and the other four Hull clubs say if it is about the future of the amateur game why not invite all clubs winter and summer based or is it more to discuss summer rugby.

#6 fcwarrior

fcwarrior
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

How can it be an open debate when the people you voted in to represent you are not invited to attend ?

IMO this type of meeting serves no real purpose, if you cant air your opinions openly with everyone connected with the NCL then leave.

i totally agree how can this be a open debate when the powers that run the ncl are not allowed the be at the meeting and why has des fox not invited them to have a open and honest debate you need all sides present it seems that the duke could be right and des fox maybe has a hidden agenda sorry i dont mean just to mention des fox but no other names from the other hull clubs he is representing are on here maybe they would like to comment on here as to why they are not representing them selves. 

and the meeting to discuss the future of the amateur rugby is a massive remit and hope every one has plenty of time because its going to be a long meeting 

#7 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

I cannot see any merit in a meeting of this sort. In my eyes the real purpose of this meeting is for Mr.Fox and a small minority of like minded people to pedal their propaganda to suit their own agenda with the aim of convincing a few others to form a splinter group to work against the NCL Management Committee.

In my opinion this is not the way a democratically run league should be acting. As others have stated there are ways and means of going about things and this stinks of skulduggery - especially by not inviting the management committee. I'm not saying that there isn't place for a debate but the clubs voted to commit to Summer RL for a minimum of 3 years - therefore surely a debate would surely be more sensible at the end of this period, with all parties including the management at the table.

I think attempting to shift the season back to winter so soon after moving to summer would be an unmitigated disaster and lead to the demise of the league as we know it.

Summer Rugby isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but working together we can make it better and let's not forget the fact that neither was winter.

In my opinion it is here to stay and in the long run will only benefit the game at all levels.

SINGING MY MUM'S A .......

Views are my own and not necessarily those of Thatto Heath Crusaders!!

#8 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Perhaps clubs can not survive the three years hence the need for the  debate .

#9 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

I don't think there is any motion from skirlaugh to move back, in fact we are the only NCL team in Hull not to enter a team into the local winter league, I wouldn't want the NCL management to think the club are involved in trouble causing, I'm fairly certain that if we had an issue the club would raise it through the right channels

I wonder where any club would go should they wish to return to winter

#10 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

If that is the case then they should be looking for help through the right channels or at least inviting the management committee into that debate as surely they are the ones best placed to assist in such a situation.

#11 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

Has anyone/club raised their concerns at the meetings with regards to the switch to summer and the quite clear problems being encountered by some clubs?
And als what has been the committees response to these concerns?

Perhaps some people think their concerns are not being listened to.

For all the comments on this n other forums with regards to summer rugby I am pretty sure that is trevor hunts first reply/comments.

#12 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

Each club is fully aware of the channels open to them regarding raising any issues. Obviously it is important that any issues/problems are highlighted at the earliest possible opportunity but I can't see how this 'debate' is going to help matters. I spoke to David Lowe at the beginning of August regarding the Summer/WInter poll I had posted on here. He asked me to forward a copy of it to him so the league could look at it in regards to possibly adapting/including something similar in the end of season review with the clubs. The management are pro-actively trying to address issues that arise, but for them to do this surely it is best to raise them through the available channels.

The NCL Management have a good grasp of the issues the clubs are facing and are more than aware that issues have arisen since the switch to summer that perhaps weren't as prevalent before. However it should also be pointed out that some old winter issues such as postponed matches and huge end of season backlogs seem to be less of an issue since the switch.

#13 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:17 AM

If that is the case then they should be looking for help through the right channels or at least inviting the management committee into that debate as surely they are the ones best placed to assist in such a situation.

I have already stated that in my initial  post .

I was merely expanding the debate think most open minded people would have worked that out .

The bigger question is why do some delegates feel the need to have the debate without the management ?

Edited by TaxiEgg, 03 October 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#14 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

I don't think there is any motion from skirlaugh to move back, in fact we are the only NCL team in Hull not to enter a team into the local winter league, I wouldn't want the NCL management to think the club are involved in trouble causing, I'm fairly certain that if we had an issue the club would raise it through the right channels

I wonder where any club would go should they wish to return to winter

Surely Yorkshire based clubs wanting to return to winter could be accommodated in the pennine league??

Edited by gillmeister, 03 October 2013 - 02:28 PM.

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#15 casyorkie

casyorkie
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Will all clubs be attending or do people know of clubs deciding not to go

#16 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 444 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

I don't think every club will attend.  We've yet to decide whether we'll send representation, but without an agenda, management team input, or a nominated chair of the "debate/discussion" it seems unlikely we will, as I can't see it being a productive or controlled environment for debate, and will probably drag on all night long

#17 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 570 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

I don't see any benefit for any club officially going along to this. It's effectively as useful as some blokes chatting about stuff in a pub - if they then decide to do something official, then great, but why not make this official in the first place if they feel the need for something to be said/done.

It just ends up looking like playground politics.

#18 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

Is it a indication that some of the NCL Clubs have woken up and realised who is really pulling the strings and dictating policy regardless of who suffers.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#19 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

Only sensible answer so far, and if true we'll soon see if the brotherhood of all for one, one for all is really there in the NCL.

#20 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

Surely Yorkshire based clubs wanting to return to winter could be accommodated in the pennine league??

Not only Yorkshire clubs wanting a return and I'm rather surprised it's being brought into the open at this point, unless a short rearranged winter league season is on offer for any clubs wanting to return.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users