Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

More embarrasment for the RFL

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

of course our premier competition should have a sponsor but having been to australia for the play off series i cannot see what it has to do with the eels getting a big deal, over there RL is the major sport on the east coast and has massive media coverage, whilst over here we are really limited to lancashire and the other county, in britain our sport is extremely regionalised and has little or no coverage in the national media....so to compare it to oz is a little strange if not ridiculous.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

To the OP. If you can do better getting a sponsor here are the details of the RFL:

Rugby Football League
Red Hall
Red Hall Lane
Leeds
LS17 8NB
Tel: 0844 477 7113
Fax: 0844 477 0013
Email: enquiries@rfl.uk.com

I'm sure they will be ever so glad of your help. Knock yourself out. :rolleyes:

Edited by Griff9of13, 02 October 2013 - 12:29 PM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#23 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

of course our premier competition should have a sponsor but having been to australia for the play off series i cannot see what it has to do with the eels getting a big deal, over there RL is the major sport on the east coast and has massive media coverage, whilst over here we are really limited to lancashire and the other county, in britain our sport is extremely regionalised and has little or no coverage in the national media....so to compare it to oz is a little strange if not ridiculous.

I agree Mr. TFIL doesn't have much of a point and should have known the answer to his own question.

But the clamour to say that RL can't get sponsorship because it's a regional game, and the idea some people have on here (not you good sir) that having SL clubs outside that region like Wales and London doesn't really matter, clash a little bit.

#24 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

Read the article. Its about the worse team the the NRL getting sponsorship. The RFL can't get a sponsor for the flagship Rugby League competition in the NH.

Maybe, but it's no news for the RFL and good news for the Paramatta Eels, who, of course, play in Australia under the NRL.

#25 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

I like the way you mention how every NRL game is televised as though this is a given - something that the NRL was handed on a plate at its formation. It is credit to the bold moves NRL undertook in the late 90s that this glorious situation now exists and the Aussies reap the benefits of this exposure.

How near is the RFL to getting all Super League games televised? Is there a framework for development towards this end? Does it even aspire to this scenario?

It's an excellent post and the sniggering back-biting towards it just testament to how insular and sensitive you all are as SL fans.

Thwe two leagues were not starting from the same place. Soccer and RU were nothing but minor sports in Australia. In fact, in 1908, when the whole of the RU game in Sydney went to league en masse, RU in Australia practically ceased to exist and one coukld make a case that the australian RL authorities were asleep at the switch for ever letting them regain the promionence that they enjoy today, minor as it may be.

That notwithstanding this lack of competition left RL in Australia in the cat bird's seat when TV came along especially since, at the time, the AFL was confined to the state of Victoria.

In this countrty soccer was always King and, since it went pro, RU has also commanded huge money and TV exposure by being the sport of the demographic advertisers love to pitch to.

Compared to Australia, RL in the UK is not on a level playing field. No wionder we don't dominate the TV market like Australian RL does.

#26 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

I like the way you mention how every NRL game is televised as though this is a given - something that the NRL was handed on a plate at its formation. It is credit to the bold moves NRL undertook in the late 90s that this glorious situation now exists and the Aussies reap the benefits of this exposure.

How near is the RFL to getting all Super League games televised? Is there a framework for development towards this end? Does it even aspire to this scenario?

It's an excellent post and the sniggering back-biting towards it just testament to how insular and sensitive you all are as SL fans.

Not a bad post considering you probably had to type it with your weaker hand.

Why do you consistently fail to recognise that RL in the UK is clearly going to struggle with football being as huge as it is in the UK. It's not the RFLs fault football is so big in the UK, they make do with the resources they have. They've able to get 2 games a week, all the tries and 3 programs of RL discussion on every week onto arguably the biggest television company in the UK and also get some RL pundits regular slots on the most watched sports news show in the UK. Added to the fact all the challenge cup games are on the BBC.

Why can't you just appreciate what we have instead of slating the game. One of the reasons why our game struggles is because of fans like you who slate it at every opportunity.

If you can't help but slate the English game, can you please stick to the NRL forum where at least the rest of us can enjoy it.

#27 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

The NRL wooden spoonist's get deals that the RFL would like to get for the Super League competition itself.

http://www.smh.com.a...1002-2usc2.html

Surely you should compare like for like... that is club sponsorship... not league sponsorship.  Yep RFL need to find sponsorship and I'm sure they work socks off to get a major sponsor, all be it without success.  But the clubs continue to get sponsorship.  Of course would be good to get even better sponsorship.

You seem to take great delight in rubbishing the game over here... maybe I misunderstand but that is how it comes across to me.

#28 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

If ever a post was doomed to failing it is one beginning I will finish this

OP does make a good point about sponsorship though, even if Super League and the Eels aren't like for like for various reasons (and the point has been made a gazillion times before...)

#29 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

Read the article. Its about the worse team the the NRL getting sponsorship. The RFL can't get a sponsor for the flagship Rugby League competition in the NH.

The RFL have 5 partners/sponsors/givers of money for our premier competition.

#30 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

If ever a post was doomed to failing it is one beginning I will finish this

To be fair, the OP doesn't say that.

#31 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

just looking at salford for instance, of course they will struggle for crowds and recognition with two massive football clubs on their doorstep. just three miles from the SCS is manchester united and not even many football clubs can compete with them let alone a rugby league club. they will always be up against it and it has been remarkable they are still going....that is the massive difference between britain and australia.....plus it should be noted that the biggest crowd ever in australia for a sports match was set this year when liverpool played at melbourne cricket ground and drew 95,000 fans. so not even RL can come any where near that,

Edited by Viking Warrior, 02 October 2013 - 05:08 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#32 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

just looking at salford for instance, of course they will struggle for crowds and recognition with two massive football clubs on their doorstep. just three miles from the SCS is manchester united and not even many football clubs can compete with them let alone a rugby league club. they will always be up against it and it has been remarkable they are still going....that is the massive difference between britain and australia.....plus it should be noted that the biggest crowd ever in australia for a sports match was set this year when liverpool played at melbourne cricket ground and drew 95,000 fans. so not even RL can come any where near that,

err i think if you check you will find that total has been beat at least twice.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#33 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Just checked and the 95000 crowd at Melbourne Cricket ground has been beaten x9 times....all AFL games.   Having checked I also noted that the AFL has the highest average crowds and is well ahead of NRL. Almost twice higher average.   I didn't realise how far ahead the AFL was with regards to gates.

Never-the-less the posters (my missus) comments are valid.

#34 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

the NRL has had two crowds above 100,000.

107,999 at stad aus

104,583  same place

Edited by my missus, 02 October 2013 - 10:04 PM.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#35 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

So, Aussie Rules, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Motor Racing and Horse Racing all have higher record attendances than that.

You were nearly right, though.

People called Romans they go the house

#36 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

don't blame me for the crowd fact..............it was announced on espn and sky sports. after the game was ended.

#37 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:05 AM

Only three games a week are shown on free TV in Australia and that would only be in the eastern states, two live one on delay.

Any other games are on Pay TV only.

Pay TV is in less than 30% of homes and subscriptions are falling (nothing to do with Rugby League)

All Fta games are nation wide these days mate, something the commission had to force ch 9 into..

And if you're the Broncos, you get every Friday night to yourself each and every single bloody week.

Edited by ParraEelsNRL, 03 October 2013 - 01:05 AM.

#38 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:10 AM

But where does it mention the RFL?

Comparing a minority sport where we struggle to get TV coverage outside of the Yorkshire/Lancashire areas to the same sport that has every game televised either live or on delay nationwide and has wall to wall coverage in the papers and on tv on the east coast is stupid.

You're talking like Parra are the equivalent of London too. They aren't! They still get good crowds, have a team that would push the top 4 over here and are traditionally one of the better and most popular teams.

This deal has no reflection on the RFL at all. It's like flipping it and an Aussie saying what an embarrassment the A League are because the worst team in the premiership have a sponsorship deal that brings in more money than they get.

Agree and disagree, the a league soccer was in the same boat as the ESL with 2 games a week being shown on Pay TV, after a few weeks of good ratings (good for soccer in Aus yet smaller than the SL gets in England) the fans bombarded Foxsports for more games to be shown. Within a few weeks, soccer had every game shown, the ratings stayed the same and now they have a new FTA deal about to kick off the season this Friday night on SBS FTA TV nation wide.

I have no idea why the ESL is still only getting two games a week on TV when it out rates plenty of things that don't get those ratings yet have more content shown. Something stinks somewhere, or the people doing the deals are ###### idiots!

#39 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:16 AM

Thwe two leagues were not starting from the same place. Soccer and RU were nothing but minor sports in Australia. In fact, in 1908, when the whole of the RU game in Sydney went to league en masse, RU in Australia practically ceased to exist and one coukld make a case that the australian RL authorities were asleep at the switch for ever letting them regain the promionence that they enjoy today, minor as it may be.

That notwithstanding this lack of competition left RL in Australia in the cat bird's seat when TV came along especially since, at the time, the AFL was confined to the state of Victoria.

In this countrty soccer was always King and, since it went pro, RU has also commanded huge money and TV exposure by being the sport of the demographic advertisers love to pitch to.

Compared to Australia, RL in the UK is not on a level playing field. No wionder we don't dominate the TV market like Australian RL does.

Wasn't like that at all, and RL was on the ball in Australia, they actually played against the wobbles at times and let them keep the money to help keep the code alive. There were other times where the Union and League got together and the League mob gave all the gate takings to the unions to get out of debt, that's how the QRU started back up in the late 20 early 30's.

RU wasn't killed off when RL started, they could still pull big crowds and the VFL has always been chipping away across the whole nation because it was here more or less first. It's not as straight forward in Australia as many think it is.

#40 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

It's just not a valuable commodity. That, or the RFL have some unrealistic demands. Probably six of one, half a dozen of the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users