Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wow! - RL Good News Story on Front Page of Daily Mirror

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Just got today's Daily Mirror and couldn't believe that RL had made the front page!  Not only that, it has a double page spread in the front section all about the Burgess brothers and the RL World Cup. 

Usually, this type of treatment is reserved purely for bad news RL stories.  Well done Daily Mirror.

#2 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

Can only be good for the game and the profile of the World Cup.

Their dad Mark used to coach me years ago and was a top bloke - he would be extremely proud.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

I can't help but picture the headline

Heartbroken mother Lukes on as McBanana picks Burgess brothers. Farce.

Ohhh it's the Daily Mirror, ahh.

;)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

In my opinion for what its worth,  the Daily Mirror and the Daily Star are the best national newspapers for Rugby League

#5 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,949 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

In my opinion for what its worth,  the Daily Mirror and the Daily Star are the best national newspapers for Rugby League

Has the story been given the same prominance nationally though.

Is it front page news in the London version.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#6 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

Just got today's Daily Mirror and couldn't believe that RL had made the front page! 

This wouldn't be International RL news would it?

Maybe the quicker we get Toulouse in and England playing France the better eh?

#7 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

Whoops I hadn't spotted this thread when I posted ahoy today's a Daily Mail.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#8 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

The Burgess Brothers are now one of the top trends on twitter.  Just behind Barack Obama

#9 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

I've seen the picture of the 4 of them and their mother in a few of the papers today
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#10 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

Mrs Burgess was on 5Live this morning chatting about her sons.....she did a great job talking about the world cup, how big RL is in Sydney, how the media treat it like the English media treats Football, she came across very well

#11 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Julie is on the front page of the BBC website talking about her upset at Luke not being picked. There' a link to an interview in there too so I'm guess it's the 5 live interview.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#12 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

I'll buy a copy tonight

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#13 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

Make your own conclusion...   https://plus.google.com/+Mirror/posts

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#14 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Mrs Burgess was on 5Live this morning chatting about her sons.....she did a great job talking about the world cup, how big RL is in Sydney, how the media treat it like the English media treats Football, she came across very well

Julie Burgess was also on BBC Radio 2 with Chris Evans this morning too.

International RL generating publicity, who'd have thought it?!

The whole Burgess family are great ambassadors for the game

#15 muimui

muimui
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

It was on pages 16/17 in all editions nationally and also featured on the front page in Yorkshire and Lancashire. Bit of a result I'd say...

#16 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

A few people (myself included) question Tom Burgess' inclusion in the squad. However, given the unprecedented coverage of this story today, is there a case that for the media boost alone this has been a good decision? Particularly given that the likelihood is that Tom Burgess (or Crabtree, Carvell or whoever else missed out in his place) are unlikely to get a game ahead of Mossop, Hill, Sam Burgess, George Burgess, and Graham anyway?

#17 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

A few people (myself included) question Tom Burgess' inclusion in the squad. However, given the unprecedented coverage of this story today, is there a case that for the media boost alone this has been a good decision? Particularly given that the likelihood is that Tom Burgess (or Crabtree, Carvell or whoever else missed out in his place) are unlikely to get a game ahead of Mossop, Hill, Sam Burgess, George Burgess, and Graham anyway?

I doubt this would have been a factor in deciding the squad but its definitely a great story. We have characters in our sport with great stories and if we can inch further and further into the minds of the nationals then these players can become household names. Its always going to take time but for once I feel positive that with this world cup we will see an improvement. 

#18 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

You cant knock the media boost and in some way, Lukes omission will have helped that giving both the family pleasure and pain, desperately sad however that is on a personal level.

Havent seen enough NRL to make a call on Tom's call up though.

#19 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

Havent seen enough NRL to make a call on Tom's call up though.

He's been good when he's played but he's not had a huge amount of game time. He's not made the impact George has but George has an extra year in the bank at Souths.

#20 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

This is a prime example of how international profile is the only way to get the media interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users