Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wow! - RL Good News Story on Front Page of Daily Mirror

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Julie Burgess was also on BBC Radio 2 with Chris Evans this morning too.

International RL generating publicity, who'd have thought it?!

The whole Burgess family are great ambassadors for the game

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b03brzdy 2 hours 34 mins approx 

Posted Image

#22 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

I don't like to be negative, but there is one negative with this publicity - all the people being talked about will be off back to Australia after the tournament ends.

We need some good news stories surrounding the English based players if this media love-in is going to continue past the WC.

Hopefully the likes of Sinfield and O'Loughlin, as well as others, will get some publicity as well

Edited by Gruff, 02 October 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#23 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

Good to have some coverage of the World Cup. Julie Burgess came over well; the interviewer didn't.

#24 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

Julie is on the front page of the BBC website talking about her upset at Luke not being picked. There' a link to an interview in there too so I'm guess it's the 5 live interview.

The sports guy on radio 2 this morning was hoping to interview her at about 8:45 on Chris Evens' show. Do know if he did, I was in work by then.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#25 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

The sports guy on radio 2 this morning was hoping to interview her at about 8:45 on Chris Evens' show. Do know if he did, I was in work by then.

Voila, as they say in Upholland.

#26 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

Shortlist, apparently (via @RLWC2013):

BVlaZjfCAAER0Oy.png

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#27 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

This is a prime example of how international profile is the only way to get the media interested.

Yes. That is all.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#28 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

Shortlist, apparently (via @RLWC2013):

BVlaZjfCAAER0Oy.png

Things seem to have ramped up this week. So far I've seen buses carrying adverts, online competitions where you wouldn't expect them and the official guide on the shelves in WHSmiths.

Aside from that, I was working out of Loughborough Uni today and they seem pretty proud of the fact that England are using it as their base - staff in the conference centre were telling me what a great team they are to have on site. It's a shame that England v Italy isn't at Loughborough Uni Stadium. Great little ground - I was tempted to think that 3,000 partisan spectators in a capacity crowd at the training base would have more impact than we might get at Salford.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#29 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

This wouldn't be International RL news would it?

Maybe the quicker we get Toulouse in and England playing France the better eh?

a bit tongue in cheek isn't it parky??
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#30 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

Things seem to have ramped up this week. So far I've seen buses carrying adverts, online competitions where you wouldn't expect them and the official guide on the shelves in WHSmiths.

Aside from that, I was working out of Loughborough Uni today and they seem pretty proud of the fact that England are using it as their base - staff in the conference centre were telling me what a great team they are to have on site. It's a shame that England v Italy isn't at Loughborough Uni Stadium. Great little ground - I was tempted to think that 3,000 partisan spectators in a capacity crowd at the training base would have more impact than we might get at Salford.

It would have been perfect and allowed a different set of supporters to see the England team play. Missed a trick there...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#31 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

I don't like to be negative, but there is one negative with this publicity - all the people being talked about will be off back to Australia after the tournament ends.

We need some good news stories surrounding the English based players if this media love-in is going to continue past the WC.

Hopefully the likes of Sinfield and O'Loughlin, as well as others, will get some publicity as well

All we have to do is win the Cup and the publicity will last for some time.

#32 irishfan

irishfan
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

The Burgess brothers story just got a mention on the The One Show.

#33 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,884 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

Just had a mention on the One Show. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#34 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

Wigan Council have been pushing it for quite a while they have already ahd an RL exhibition at the museum and a new one starts this saturday, thay have had the Tony Collins mini play on a few weeks back and I believe its on again this Saturday, there have been adverts on buses for a while and a van with world cup livery driving around town. There was a special World Cup day in the park during the summer and the latest is a series of floor adverts posted around the town centre.

On top of all that the council intranet and internet sites make continuous reference to it.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#35 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

St Helens Council are doing sod all so far.  No surprises there then.

#36 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

Wigan Council have been pushing it for quite a while they have already ahd an RL exhibition at the museum and a new one starts this saturday, thay have had the Tony Collins mini play on a few weeks back and I believe its on again this Saturday, there have been adverts on buses for a while and a van with world cup livery driving around town. There was a special World Cup day in the park during the summer and the latest is a series of floor adverts posted around the town centre.

On top of all that the council intranet and internet sites make continuous reference to it.

Really impressive stuff. Well done Wigan.

I might be wrong but in Leeds you wouldn't know it was happening, except for a banner outside the stadium trying to flog tickets.

The Yorkshire Evening Post rag carried a story about the RU World Cup though, because Leeds United is apparently a venue in two years' time. There's all sorts of PR arranged around it, including a promotion with giant rugby posts in Roundhay Park, an area of north Leeds that is true league heartland: http://www.yorkshire...ecial-1-6065533

#37 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

I might be wrong but in Leeds you wouldn't know it was happening, except for a banner outside the stadium trying to flog tickets.

The Yorkshire Evening Post rag carried a story about the RU World Cup though, because Leeds United is apparently a venue in two years' time. There's all sorts of PR arranged around it, including a promotion with giant rugby posts in Roundhay Park, an area of north Leeds that is true league heartland: http://www.yorkshire...ecial-1-6065533

When towns/cities made bids to host games part of the bid was promotion, surely the RFL should be looking at what is going on at various places that were awarded a game and see what they have done and see if they deserve any future games.

Wigan are certainly taking it very seriously, there is probably more promotion for Cooke Islands v Tonga at LSV than for the quarter final at the DW, knowing the QF will get a good response anyway.

#38 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 954 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

Their have been a couple of events in which the council have been part of the event pushing it... I have been to two of them, so at least x2.   But I agree with your observation I have not seen much promotion.  For me both the council/local authority and the local clubs should be stretching every sinew to drive the attendance at their games to ensure success.  I have not been impressed with Leeds and the Local Authorities activity to push the local games.   Don't know what all the other clubs around Leeds are doing but the impression for me seems to be not much more than something on the web-sites.

#39 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

Their have been a couple of events in which the council have been part of the event pushing it... I have been to two of them, so at least x2.   But I agree with your observation I have not seen much promotion.  For me both the council/local authority and the local clubs should be stretching every sinew to drive the attendance at their games to ensure success.  I have not been impressed with Leeds and the Local Authorities activity to push the local games.   Don't know what all the other clubs around Leeds are doing but the impression for me seems to be not much more than something on the web-sites.

Leeds can't be any worse than St Helens.

And as for Saints the club, aside from a visit from the WC trophy for our match against Warrington in the league, this is the sum total of their promotion so far, and I'd rather they hadn't bothered:

http://www.saintsrlf.../news/page/3419

Along with the sole flag on a lamp post that has been the Council's contribution, I'd be happy to suggest that neither the town nor the club deserves an international game in the future regardless of how posh the stadium looks.

I'm embarrassed by both of them so far.

#40 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

No wonder the RFU are pushing it in Leeds, have you seen the fixtures they have allocated to Elland Road? I wouldn't like to have to shift 80,000 tickets for matches between Canada and Italy and Scotland and USA. Dirge springs to mind.