Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

when did we go soft?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

please don't pick hock for England he might give a couple of penaltys away, it just isn't the done thing in England, sod that! lets stick it up em and give it to em rough n ready, did the aussies worry when les boyd and the likes were roughing us up? simple answer- no, its world cup- its war - its do or die-nice gets get hurt and the good die young- step up hock - step up james graham - step up any player who cares about smashing the opposition, am glad frank Bruno types like crabtree and jjb are not in contention, they may worry more about damaging their tv persona rather than the other team.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#2 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

You can be tough as nails without giving away silly penalties. Penalties can lose you matches. A player who gives many away needs to sort it out or they shouldn't be considered for selection.

We haven't gone soft, we just want to win RL games.

#3 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:57 AM

Also hes rubbish.

#4 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:25 AM

Agree with the original post think we need players with a bit of mongrel about them, as for Hock being rubbish nah hes far from rubbish.

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

That's exactly what we need right from the first kick off, a really pepped up bloke charging headstrong into the first carrier! Yeah!

Oh....

It's all about playing tough and smart, Hock and McIlorum are neither of those. I'm sure the lads would love an extra few sets of defence on their line.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 7723

• Coach
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

Willie Mason never seemed to have any problems playing dirty in international matches. The refs just told him off and let him do it again.

#7 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Willie Mason never seemed to have any problems playing dirty in international matches. The refs just told him off and let him do it again.

Aye but the difference is Morley was the victim of an English ref, whilst Mason had an Aussie ref who took no action at all after he both flattened Fielding and took Long's head off. 

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

Whilst I don't want to see outright thugs on the field, we definitely need some players who aren't afraid to mix it up a bit.

The Morley sending off, whilst probably technically correct, was OTT.

#9 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

If our forwards just hammer the other team we should be OK, just get Graham and Weatwood running at them all game.

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

its not a case of going soft. Westwood is the most penalised player in sl but people are happy with his selection as he plays the game on the edge and is rough and tough. Hock has an issue in that he often loses it when he actually has the ball and can give posession away. If he can control that he could do well.

#11 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

For every good thing Hock does he also does 3 stupid things

#12 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

We have to score points to beat the Cons, Hock can break the line
Stick it right into them upfront and create the spectacle that will ignite interest

#13 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

please don't pick hock for England he might give a couple of penaltys away, it just isn't the done thing in England, sod that! lets stick it up em and give it to em rough n ready, did the aussies worry when les boyd and the likes were roughing us up? simple answer- no, its world cup- its war - its do or die-nice gets get hurt and the good die young- step up hock - step up james graham - step up any player who cares about smashing the opposition, am glad frank Bruno types like crabtree and jjb are not in contention, they may worry more about damaging their tv persona rather than the other team.

Hock may give penalties away at a turning point that decides a game.

What does he really bring to a team that will upset Australia? you don't think the Oz team selected mainly from State of Origin squads have not seen all of the hard running, gang tackles and shitehouse tactics being used? Its always skills that decide the outcome.

England needs solid Forwards that at least hold their own and Halves that can kick for field position and distribute the ball to Backs that can score more than they concede.

Hard running loose cannons are a waste of a team spot, better putting Sinfield into the Forwards and bringing in a constructive Half.

Edited by AndyCapp, 03 October 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#14 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

We have to score points to beat the Cons, Hock can break the line
Stick it right into them upfront and create the spectacle that will ignite interest

The "cons" will have never seen a player like Hock before I guess.

:no:

Edited by AndyCapp, 03 October 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#15 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

Since i can remember the aussies have bloodied our noses. Gave it us in the tackle or roughed us up and too many times england have worried about gettin sent of to much to do something about it or to mix it with them. Im not sayin play dirty, jus need a few players who aint scared wen they start throwing cheap shots. Hock and mcillorom are two such players. i agree when ever we have a english ref we get penalised more often for little things but wen ther is a nrl ref then it seems to be a tougher game and nt as many penaltys get thrown about.

#16 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,592 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

You can be tough as nails without giving away silly penalties. Penalties can lose you matches. A player who gives many away needs to sort it out or they shouldn't be considered for selection.

We haven't gone soft, we just want to win RL games.

Ward from Castleford and St Helens was the toughest forward I ever saw but he didn't get sent off or sin binned and leave us short in big games against the Aussies and Kiwis like Hock is likely to do. There's being tough and there's being a head case and  the head cases cost you games.  

#17 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Since i can remember the aussies have bloodied our noses. Gave it us in the tackle or roughed us up and too many times england have worried about gettin sent of to much to do something about it or to mix it with them. Im not sayin play dirty, jus need a few players who aint scared wen they start throwing cheap shots. Hock and mcillorom are two such players. i agree when ever we have a english ref we get penalised more often for little things but wen ther is a nrl ref then it seems to be a tougher game and nt as many penaltys get thrown about.

Maybe you are young.

http://youtu.be/6TN6wcCiG_Q

http://youtu.be/VWqvmGddkyw

#18 Gally

Gally
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

This time last year I thought Hock would walk, not just into the squad, but the starting XIII

After all the stupidity that surrounded his career up to his ban, he genuinely seemed to be that bit more disciplined and reliable whilst keeping his aggression.

All of which makes the madness of last summer all the more frustrating. In throwing his toys out of the pram, he basically forfeited the chance to be playing at a high level in the year leading up to a World Cup on home soil, which puts him at a massive disadvantage to other, arguably less talented players. Why should he be picked ahead of Kirmond now that he's not been playing in matches closer to test standard?

He could end up doing something off the cuff which wins a tight game for us, but he's still unbelievably lucky to be in the squad imo

#19 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hock may give penalties away at a turning point that decides a game.

What does he really bring to a team that will upset Australia? you don't think the Oz team selected mainly from State of Origin squads have not seen all of the hard running, gang tackles and shitehouse tactics being used? Its always skills that decide the outcome.

England needs solid Forwards that at least hold their own and Halves that can kick for field position and distribute the ball to Backs that can score more than they concede.

Hard running loose cannons are a waste of a team spot, better putting Sinfield into the Forwards and bringing in a constructive Half.

Andy, I have valued your opinion but I am sorry that (highlighted) is the biggest tosh I have read on here for a while, please tell me who you would even consider removing from the pack to accommodate "King Kev" I don't imagine for one moment you mean Hooker or you would have said Hooker so I am taking it you mean Back Row or Lock? I would sooner him sat in the stand next to me than on the pitch - in any position.

Anyway, back to the question of Hock, if as is expected Cudjoe and Watkins are our centres, (which one would play left side I don't know as they both play right side for their clubs) left side running is the part of the field that Hock does his best work and I think that he would add a much needed dimension to the attack.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#20 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,592 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Andy, I have valued your opinion but I am sorry that (highlighted) is the biggest tosh I have read on here for a while, please tell me who you would even consider removing from the pack to accommodate "King Kev" I don't imagine for one moment you mean Hooker or you would have said Hooker so I am taking it you mean Back Row or Lock? I would sooner him sat in the stand next to me than on the pitch - in any position.

Anyway, back to the question of Hock, if as is expected Cudjoe and Watkins are our centres, (which one would play left side I don't know as they both play right side for their clubs) left side running is the part of the field that Hock does his best work and I think that he would add a much needed dimension to the attack.

Ablett is the in form second row at the moment and he runs on the left side., has some aggression and dosn't get sent off or fail various tests.