Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

USA World Cup Squad / Coaching (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

I find this news, and the news about the Tomahawks squad generally, really disappointing.  I don't think anything bar family crisis could justify what Brian Smith has apparently done, frankly.  (And no family crisis has been reported)  I do hope an alternative coach is found but I wouldn't be surprised if the USA pulled out of the comp as I'm not sure how they could possibly perform without a coach.

As for the squad, Steve Mascord said on Twitter that one of the pacific island teams ahead of one international comp (can't remember which one, although he did mention it) threatened to sue the rugby league authorities for allowing amateur players to play against fulltime professionals.  That is a good point.  Players like the fabulously named Apple Pope are amateur players.   We wouldn't allow amateurs versus full timers in this country; we can't really justify it at international level.  The risk of serious injury would be too high.  However, it is still disappointing not to have some real live Americans in the team or at least coming over with them, perhaps to promote the side while they are over here.

Either way, rugby league seems to shoot itself in the foot no matter where it is played in the world!

#22 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 613 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

deleted

Edited by ehbandit, 03 October 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#23 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

I find this news, and the news about the Tomahawks squad generally, really disappointing.  I don't think anything bar family crisis could justify what Brian Smith has apparently done, frankly.  (And no family crisis has been reported)  I do hope an alternative coach is found but I wouldn't be surprised if the USA pulled out of the comp as I'm not sure how they could possibly perform without a coach.

As for the squad, Steve Mascord said on Twitter that one of the pacific island teams ahead of one international comp (can't remember which one, although he did mention it) threatened to sue the rugby league authorities for allowing amateur players to play against fulltime professionals.  That is a good point.  Players like the fabulously named Apple Pope are amateur players.   We wouldn't allow amateurs versus full timers in this country; we can't really justify it at international level.  The risk of serious injury would be too high.  However, it is still disappointing not to have some real live Americans in the team or at least coming over with them, perhaps to promote the side while they are over here.

Either way, rugby league seems to shoot itself in the foot no matter where it is played in the world!

Not sure the amateur versus full-time pro thing is an issue. Happens all the time away from league fixtures eg Challenge Cup, domestic internationals.

#24 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

Tonga?

About the amateur v professional - what about the Challenge Cup?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#25 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

Not sure the amateur versus full-time pro thing is an issue. Happens all the time away from league fixtures eg Challenge Cup, domestic internationals.

Amateur teams don't play full time professional teams in the Challenge Cup.  They may play the lower echelons of the semi-pro game but not the full timers.  The full timers don't join the comp until well after the amateurs have been knocked out.

Which domestic internationals take place between full timers and amateurs?

#26 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

Tonga?

It might have been.  I can't remember and the Twitter discussion has now disappeared down my timeline!

#27 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

Amateur teams don't play full time professional teams in the Challenge Cup. They may play the lower echelons of the semi-pro game but not the full timers. The full timers don't join the comp until well after the amateurs have been knocked out.

Yes they do play the. if they win against semi pro. Plenty of amateur teams have played against pro teams. EG Woolston v Warrington, Simms Cross (or maybe Marie's) v Wigan

#28 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

Amateur teams don't play full time professional teams in the Challenge Cup.  They may play the lower echelons of the semi-pro game but not the full timers.  The full timers don't join the comp until well after the amateurs have been knocked out.

I agree about the amateurs vs pros, but the point is that a lot of the players selected play in local amateur leagues in Australia. I could understand if the selected players were all top pros like the Italy squad, but when you're ringing in nobodies from bush leagues that probably aren't much higher than the standard of the USA competitions then it's just an insult and a slap in the face to everyone who has worked hard for years to develop the sport in America, and all the players who have paid their own way to represent the national team in matches against Canada etc only to be replaced by a bunch of nobodies from Australia who will probably be flogged regardless, who have done nothing for the sport in the USA and who we're unlikely to ever hear from again.

#29 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 613 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

Amateur teams don't play full time professional teams in the Challenge Cup. They may play the lower echelons of the semi-pro game but not the full timers. The full timers don't join the comp until well after the amateurs have been knocked out.

I have played several internationals for barla against the full French international team.
also thorn hill played Catalans in the cup

Edited by ehbandit, 03 October 2013 - 09:25 PM.

#30 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

I see one of their players is from a suburban team in Canberra!! Surely replacing him with a US local wouldn't do any harm.

#31 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

I see one of their players is from a suburban team in Canberra!! Surely replacing him with a US local wouldn't do any harm.

3-4 real locals in the squad wouldn't of hurt?  Sad to see yet again in the USA.  One day they might get their act together along with a real RLIF!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#32 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

https://www.facebook...151974655508982

Message from Spinner Howland of the Jacksonville Axemen.

#33 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

From Matt Elliot last year
http://www.amnrl.com...s-train-squad-0

Can't grab it on my phone but go to the Link to read what he says about stacking the team with players who aren't in the US domestic comp.... He's against it. He says domestic comp players have to be a priority.

Edited by Copa, 04 October 2013 - 12:24 AM.

#34 BeerAndTrembling

BeerAndTrembling
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:22 AM

That message from Spinner is spot on. There is absolutely no reason that the USA team shouldn't feature Americans with only a few top level "heritage players." It is total BS for lower grade Australians to be in the squad. And the cause of the problem is that the team is not being selected by an American.

#35 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:50 AM

I'm amazed this apparently inept mob can even have the organisational skills to have a team fly to the UK and compete in an event....

They haven't kicked off yet though.

#36 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

I'm amazed this apparently inept mob can even have the organisational skills to have a team fly to the UK and compete in an event....

I was just about to say, they haven't started yet!
Posted Image

#37 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

It's my concern that they don't.

I really hope we see a representation from the USA, preferably one that can actually play the sport.  How embarrassing would it be if they didn't make it (not to mention very unfortunate for Bristol who have been so very good in promoting the match).

#38 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

Get Brian Noble over there to put a team of Americans together, if they get hammered who cares, all sports have world cups with a few big winning margins. I would rather hear an American accent on TV than another whining Aussy.

#39 7723

• Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

Get Brian Noble over there to put a team of Americans together, if they get hammered who cares, all sports have world cups with a few big winning margins. I would rather hear an American accent on TV than another whining Aussy.

If you want Americans in the team you don't want Noble as coach. He will try to find every Australian with American heritage before putting a real American in.

#40 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

I think that's a good idea

Get Nobby or John Kear involved, it would be awesome to see them play out of their skins. I don't think the squad can compete any better than a full battle hardened USA team that has just had an intense four match warm up against Canada.

Seems to me that Niu is still in the game somewhere and sabotaging the whole USA structure

Silly stupid idea not to let USA players in the squad, its not like the Italy squad where the decision was widely accepted months ago that a heritage team performing well would lift the profile of their game at home. And with the roster they have they have still got a number of Italian league players in there as well.