Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

USA World Cup Squad / Coaching (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,611 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

I thought David Niu had moved on to promoting Gridiron in Hawaii or something?

Whatever, it is a travesty that people who have put so much time and effort into the game in the US are just being trampled underfoot. I could even understand it if they were being replaced by top class players -but they aren't. Generally, I say it is bad to have a team getting hammered and it is better to get some decent heritage players but in this case, I think it is important to get the regular US RL players involved. I'm all for heritage players to develop the first team but this is ridiculous and sad to say, does actually make the game look a farce.

If nothing did before (and it did) this highlights the importance of an International body with some teeth.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#42 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

whats the issue with this squad? genuinely I know little about the usa team

My original concern was that they wouldn't pick any USARL players. I was feeling optimistic though with the inclusion of a couple of players against Canada.

It seems however, they've gone the route of picking Australian amateur players and American union players and barely picked any AMNRL players either!

This is after the threats to clubs that if they left the AMNRL and joined the USARL that the players wouldn't be eligible to play for the Tomahawks. My hope is that with this squad announcement, there will be more teams that defect (after all, the main point of staying in the AMNRL was international representation), and the USARL become recognised as the governing body. (USARL being the one that wasn't sold to a private company...)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#43 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

Terry Matterson has been announced as the new head coach of the USA national side.

Matterson, 46, takes over following the decision by Brian Smith to step down from the position due to a pressing family engagement.

http://www.loverugby..._medium=twitter

It's time to park the camels.

#44 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

Terry Matterson will take charge of the United States side during the World Cup later this year.

Click here to view the article
League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#45 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Deletin my original thread and dat

It's time to park the camels.

#46 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

Good luck to him. He'll need it.

And I don't for a minute believe that Brian Smith has an urgent family engagement

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#47 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Good luck to him. He'll need it.

And I don't for a minute believe that Brian Smith has an urgent family engagement

He may have to comfort his bro tomorrow night.

(Btw, if any serious news comes to light then this light-hearted comment will be retracted. This does affect your statutory rights)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#48 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

He may have to comfort his bro tomorrow night.

(Btw, if any serious news comes to light then this light-hearted comment will be retracted. This does affect your statutory rights)

Agree with your disclaimer. But it seems to me to be a face saving statement for the AMNRL and whoever it is that owns them now

#49 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

Interesting quotes that the former USA coach made last year

“I think the next process for us to enter into is to look at the dynamics of the squad,” Coach Elliott told WeAreRugby. “I think it’s vital to support the local element from the US to make sure there’s the right balance in the squad. This is so important.

“I think what’s going on down South and what’s going on in Hawaii is good and needs to be part of the selection process.

“Ultimately, it’s essential to get representation from each of the regions. This is only a personal opinion, but players coming out of the AMNRL has to be a priority.

It would be completely absurd, in my opinion, if we stacked the squad with players from Australia, New Zealand and Britain because it completely negates the work that’s been done.

“There are some guys in the overseas contingent, like Joe [Paulo], that are in the must-have category because of their skills and experience and then we can start to look at who’s got the versatility and ability that we want to round out the squad.

“The front end of the process is that we need to make sure that the players out of the AMNRL are the best we can get. I think Marcus has done a remarkable job and I think we’ve got the expertise to identify the best domestic players.”

He had the right attitude in my opinion

http://www.amnrl.com...s-train-squad-0

Edited by brooza, 04 October 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#50 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,611 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

Let's hope Terry Matterson has different views on the matter.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#51 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

Nail on the head there

Who does run the AMNRL and why is it still choosing the national squad if its the minority and least well run organisation?

#52 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

Nail on the head there

Who does run the AMNRL and why is it still choosing the national squad if its the minority and least well run organisation?

AMNRL was originally set up by David Niu and was the sole governing body for the sport in the US and so were also in charge of the national team. A number of teams were unhappy with the way the game was being run and broke away to form the USARL. Due to threats from Niu that leaving the AMNRL and joining the USARL would mean you would be ineligible for selection for the Tomahawks. This has led to having players that live in USARL areas being registered for AMNRL teams that have never played a game and only exist on paper!

With regards to who runs it now, Niu sold the AMNRL (I didn't realise you could sell a governing body) to a company called Grand Prix Entertainment, who also run rugby union in the US.

#53 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

New manager appointed, nq cowboys assistant coach
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#54 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Reading between the lines, I would suggest that Smith left because he did not have control over the squad selection and would have had to work with a bunch of players he neither knows nor has confidence in.

Seriously what is the point of the USA coming to play in the World Cup? The selection does nothing to encourage the ambitions of existing players, develop new teams or increase media exposure and the "Yanks" are unlikely to bring any fans. It also demeans the competition that one side is not taking the World Cup seriously and treating it as a jolly for fifth rate players who are not even familiar with the game.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#55 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

If the USA had qualified for the RWC with this selection, I wouldn't have felt quite as strongly. Okay, I'd still be disappointed at the decision, but this is just an egregious snub to the guys who fought their way to the big event.

I doubt Matterson will be given any say as regards selection changes.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#56 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

I agree about the amateurs vs pros, but the point is that a lot of the players selected play in local amateur leagues in Australia. I could understand if the selected players were all top pros like the Italy squad, but when you're ringing in nobodies from bush leagues that probably aren't much higher than the standard of the USA competitions then it's just an insult and a slap in the face to everyone who has worked hard for years to develop the sport in America, and all the players who have paid their own way to represent the national team in matches against Canada etc only to be replaced by a bunch of nobodies from Australia who will probably be flogged regardless, who have done nothing for the sport in the USA and who we're unlikely to ever hear from again.

That sums it up perfectly. I agee with you 100%. this will discourage the domestic US players who have been shafted whereas the reverse would have been true if they had been selected and played in the World Cup. As someone who is married to an American and has spent a lot of timne there, the patriotism of the average US citizen has to be seen to be believed and the US born players participation would have been the highlight of their lives and would have reaped immense benefit for RL in the US on their return.

What it will do for RL in the Queensland bush leagues is very much open to debate.

#57 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,302 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

I find this news, and the news about the Tomahawks squad generally, really disappointing.  I don't think anything bar family crisis could justify what Brian Smith has apparently done, frankly.  (And no family crisis has been reported)  I do hope an alternative coach is found but I wouldn't be surprised if the USA pulled out of the comp as I'm not sure how they could possibly perform without a coach.

As for the squad, Steve Mascord said on Twitter that one of the pacific island teams ahead of one international comp (can't remember which one, although he did mention it) threatened to sue the rugby league authorities for allowing amateur players to play against fulltime professionals.  That is a good point.  Players like the fabulously named Apple Pope are amateur players.   We wouldn't allow amateurs versus full timers in this country; we can't really justify it at international level.  The risk of serious injury would be too high.  However, it is still disappointing not to have some real live Americans in the team or at least coming over with them, perhaps to promote the side while they are over here.

Either way, rugby league seems to shoot itself in the foot no matter where it is played in the world!

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with what you write about Brian Smith.  However, there is a history of dishonesty in the AmNRL.  I find the excuse weak, but I think the reason for the excuse is likely to be for the AmNRL's sake rather than his. 

There are a large number of committed and dedicated people in the AmNRL.  However, it has been very badly run and indulged in ludicrous hubris on many occasions.  I am inclined to think that the selection body were completely unaware of any USARL candidates rather than snubbing them, but it is no better for that.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#58 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

I am inclined to think that the selection body were completely unaware of any USARL candidates rather than snubbing them, but it is no better for that.

I'm sure they were aware of Apple Pope (Jacksonville) as he was their captain!

#59 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

Apple Pope is mentioned as one to watch in the official preview guide...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#60 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

Nail on the head there

I believe this squad was selected by a guy called Steve Johnson, who lives in Australia and was appointed by Niu before he left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users