TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

MPs call on Virgin Media to show RLWC13 on Premier Sports

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

Now being reported on twitter by Loverugbyleague MD that this is now a done deal. Brilliant if true.

#22 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,252 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:43 AM

If I had a pound for every work colleague who's asked me in the last two or three weeks where they can watch the RLWC only for me to have to advise them it's on a  subscription sports channel that they as not regular RL fans have probably never heard of, I'd have about £13.. (you get the point)

I still insist that selling the rights to Premier Sports for the whole RLWC package (I know the England games are on BBC) is the biggest mistake of this event. Especially considering the interest it seems to have generated in this past week or so with friends and colleagues who wouldn't otherwise be that interested in Rugby League but will follow the International game in an event such as this.

I'm not on Virgin myself, but I really hope they manage to show it for free for the duration, but as other posters have quite rightly stated, they're under no obligation to do so. 

#23 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

How much did Premier (and the BBC, for that matter) actually pay for the 2013 RLWC ?

#24 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Did anybody else want to show it?

#25 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

Did anybody else want to show it?

I read somewhere (no idea how true it is) that Sky were willing to pay more for the rights but wouldn't let the BBC have any matches.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#26 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,714 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

If I had a pound for every work colleague who's asked me in the last two or three weeks where they can watch the RLWC only for me to have to advise them it's on a  subscription sports channel that they as not regular RL fans have probably never heard of, I'd have about £13.. (you get the point)

I still insist that selling the rights to Premier Sports for the whole RLWC package (I know the England games are on BBC) is the biggest mistake of this event. Especially considering the interest it seems to have generated in this past week or so with friends and colleagues who wouldn't otherwise be that interested in Rugby League but will follow the International game in an event such as this.

I'm not on Virgin myself, but I really hope they manage to show it for free for the duration, but as other posters have quite rightly stated, they're under no obligation to do so.

I agree, showing it on Premier Sports guarantees tiny viewing figures. Also, it doesn't make it seem like a big event to be on such an obscure channel. At least the biggest games are on the BBC.

#27 thehullram

thehullram
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

This is a difficult one for me. It seems to be a balance between everything on Sky or the situation we have now with the bigger matches on BBC and the rest on Premier.

Of the 2, I think Rugby League as a whole will benefit more from the 2nd option. The BBC is so big there are Rugby League adverts in many obscure places at the moment (BBC3, BBC Radio 6Music, etc....) as well as the website publicity they have given us. If Sky had been the sole broadcaster we would not have got any of this

#28 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

The BBC reaches the parts other broadcasters can not reach.  It always has and continues to do so.

Murdoch knows this and has had numerous attempts at trying to change the BBC's unique broadcasting position.

Edited by L Bow, 23 October 2013 - 07:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users