Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup media coverage

• Please log in to reply
1640 replies to this topic

#1 emigrated roughyed

emigrated roughyed
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

I thought we could have a dedicated topic for this subject leading up to the World Cup. I will start with this http://www.independe...up-8860091.html the author tells me it's on the back page of the paper. I have told her to spread the word to her colleagues in the press.

#2 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

Great article. Picked it up on Twitter.

#3 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:10 AM

Seemed to be moaning and putting us down against other sports for the most part. More people do gymnastics, the ruwc twitter account has 100k+ more followers etc.

It's time to park the camels.

#4 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

Seemed to be moaning and putting us down against other sports for the most part. More people do gymnastics, the ruwc twitter account has 100k+ more followers etc.

She is telling it just as it is KC, if you are not aware of the deficiencies you cannot make improvements.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#5 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

What a strange article, a mix of 'show your support for the game' alongside putting it down as a minor sport. Does this journalist support Rugby League...... NO.

One of his superiors probably told him to cover this story as no one else wanted it.

To sum up this article has gained no postitive coverage for the sport and the world cup, shame!

#6 RLX111

RLX111
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

What a strange article, a mix of 'show your support for the game' alongside putting it down as a minor sport. Does this journalist support Rugby League...... NO.

One of his superiors probably told him to cover this story as no one else wanted it.

To sum up this article has gained no postitive coverage for the sport and the world cup, shame!

Well it has because it is saying in 3 weeks time a major sports event is happening which deserves better.It is raising awareness in people who did not even know it exisited or even was happening.

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

She ends thus, "It is our civic duty as sports fans – and yes, as journalists in a southern-biased media – to help ensure its success for the greater glory of our “golden decade of sport”. 

Is she wrong?  

http://www.sportsjou...ve-times-sport/

#8 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

Presumably this is the lady in question.

The article is completely muddled.  Apparently she'd not heard about it until she heard about it on radio 5 Live yet on the related links to her article Ian Laybourn wrote a piece in 2011 when the initial plans were outlined.  Pretty poor research on her part in the era of the internet.  Let's not forget it is her job to keep track of these things as she proudly announces.  To me that comes across as a back handed way of saying that if she's missed it it is not her fault but the fault of those organising it because she's that good at her job that even a speck would show up on her radar.  So why was she made redundant with no position to go to lined up?

Accuracy on numbers is not great either.  The Millennium Stadium's website shows the official capacity as 74,500.  I'm not sure where we get 80,000.

I'd also love to meet one or two of these 49,100 adults that take part in gymnastics once a week.  I've never met anyone who does gymnastics as an adult.  I'm sure there are some who continue into adulthood but it would not surprise me if the figure quoted includes juniors.  Bowls, well are we really comparing like with like? I'd be interested to know how many people bowl between the age of 40 and well pick any number 75 .... 80.....Let's then compare that with those still playing RL in that age group.  The point being it is ridiculous to compare something like bowls which has a wide age range to recruit from with RL which has a narrower age range because of its very nature.  

Why do we need to know that Sport England cut the funding?  Were we the only sport to suffer such a fate?  How is relevant to trying to encourage people to go to this World Cup?  The whole narrative about declining numbers and cutting funding sends the message that we are declining sport.  Hardly an enticing preamble rallying the sports lovers in the nation to jump on board and buy tickets!

#9 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

There is no negativity in this report at all, it does exactly what it says on the tin, it tells it has it is, and it will no doubt make people aware of the fact that that there is a RLWC going on for those who have no interest in following the sport in media.

As an example despite the fact that I am some 11 miles west of Manchester, 23 from Liverpool, 9 from Bolton and 6 from Wigan I have not a clue who those towns football teams will be playing this,next or any other week, the reason, I am not remotely interested in football, I find it the most obnoxious, yawn creating, insomniac cure of a sport, I don't read, don't listen or don't watch anything to do with it, but I some times come across it in exclusive articles such as this.

Ho and by the way the reporter is a women.  

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

Presumably this is the lady in question.

The article is completely muddled.  Apparently she'd not heard about it until she heard about it on radio 5 Live yet on the related links to her article Ian Laybourn wrote a piece in 2011 when the initial plans were outlined.  Pretty poor research on her part in the era of the internet.  Let's not forget it is her job to keep track of these things as she proudly announces.  To me that comes across as a back handed way of saying that if she's missed it it is not her fault but the fault of those organising it because she's that good at her job that even a speck would show up on her radar.  So why was she made redundant with no position to go to lined up?

Accuracy on numbers is not great either.  The Millennium Stadium's website shows the official capacity as 74,500.  I'm not sure where we get 80,000.

I'd also love to meet one or two of these 49,100 adults that take part in gymnastics once a week.  I've never met anyone who does gymnastics as an adult.  I'm sure there are some who continue into adulthood but it would not surprise me if the figure quoted includes juniors.  Bowls, well are we really comparing like with like? I'd be interested to know how many people bowl between the age of 40 and well pick any number 75 .... 80.....Let's then compare that with those still playing RL in that age group.  The point being it is ridiculous to compare something like bowls which has a wide age range to recruit from with RL which has a narrower age range because of its very nature.  

Why do we need to know that Sport England cut the funding?  Were we the only sport to suffer such a fate?  How is relevant to trying to encourage people to go to this World Cup?  The whole narrative about declining numbers and cutting funding sends the message that we are declining sport.  Hardly an enticing preamble rallying the sports lovers in the nation to jump on board and buy tickets!

A true RL SNAFU post. I though there was too much positivity around but you have restored the balance.  Have you been following her on Twitter?  Try it. You could even join and and  put your comments directly to her. 

#11 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

A true RL SNAFU post. I though there was too much positivity around but you have restored the balance.  Have you been following her on Twitter?  Try it. You could even join and and  put your comments directly to her. 

sorry I may be thick but SNAFU ?

#12 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

I don't think it was unduly negative. Not everything in the game is great, but it is a great game, and the point of the article was that people should get out and watch it.

Not her job as a general journalist to gloss over some of our negative points.

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

sorry I may be thick but SNAFU ?

mea culpa. Its an Americanism. Situation normal: all f####d up.

#14 Chris22

Chris22
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

I think it's a very good and informative article. She only states facts, which should be of a concern to organisers and the RFL. She doesn't revel in our shortcomings and encourages readers to attend the tournament. Moreover, articles like this increase awareness of the tournament. It would be nice to have all positives, but the fact is, not all is positive.

The article is balanced with an undercurrent of encouraging, rather than discouraging, success of the tournament.

#15 emigrated roughyed

emigrated roughyed
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

Noted this http://www.express.c...pening-Ceremony don't know if it's in the paper, but still good.

#16 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Got the preview mag, well worth the four quid, very good quality and some nice articles just needs better distribution
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#17 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

Got the preview mag, well worth the four quid, very good quality and some nice articles just needs better distribution

Currently on sale at WHSmith in London Kings Cross, despite someone's best efforts to hide it...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#18 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

On sale in WH Smith in St Helens, at the back with all the other rugby league papers/magazines, etc.  I bought a copy today and it is really good value, very well presented with some interesting articles in it as well as analysis of all the teams involved.  I'd recommend buying it.

I'm not sure anyone could get any wider distribution really than WH Smith.  The shop is pretty much everywhere.  The problem  is whether the staff at each outlet bother to display the magazine.  There is only so much that can be done by the rugby league people.

Edited by Saintslass, 05 October 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

Nothing too much wrong with the article really. She clearly is no expert on the game but I don't think there is any malice, more naive confusion that it hasn't sold out a year ago. Little does she know...

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#20 emigrated roughyed

emigrated roughyed
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:14 AM

Excellent article in the guardian http://www.theguardi...p-family-values

0 user(s) are reading this topic