Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup media coverage

• Please log in to reply
1640 replies to this topic

#41 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:15 AM

So if it is true we are at 280,000, then this is already the third most attended World Cup ever! I see only positives in that... it indicates to me we are on track for 300,000+

The RWLC's goal, though, was to sell 500,000.  If the 280,000 is accurate - and we don't actually know that, it's just a figure quoted in the press - then we are a long way from the tournament's target figure. 

#42 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,272 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

The RWLC's goal, though, was to sell 500,000.  If the 280,000 is accurate - and we don't actually know that, it's just a figure quoted in the press - then we are a long way from the tournament's target figure. 

Yes.

It's vital we bring the focus back to the negatives.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#43 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

Telegraph article starts off with negatives from previous World Cup in UK but then gets better.

http://www.telegraph...-World-Cup.html

I like the comment on there too!

#44 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

Yes.

It's vital we bring the focus back to the negatives.

Actually, why is it a negative not to reach 500,000?  And why has everyone accepted the Daily Mail's figure of 280,000 as if it's gospel?  Wouldn't you say that was a negative?  For all we know we could be on 450,000 tickets sold.

#45 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,272 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

Actually, why is it a negative not to reach 500,000?  

The negative is the flurry of posts, comments, opinions we'll get from people if we don't get to 500,000 - calling it a failure for not being a complete sell out when we are already talking about something close to the most popular international rugby league tournament ever held.

- Severus, July 2012

#46 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

I like the comment on there too!

Thank you, as Tesco reminds us every little helps. I think it is important that whenever we see something in print relating directly or indirectly to the World Cup that we all give the competition a little plug in the comments sections. The best a comment posted in this forum might do is persuade an existing fan to put aside their club tribalism to experience the international game. Comments in national and local media and other online discussion forums have the capacity to attract completely new fans unfamiliar with the sport to attend the event.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#47 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,767 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

Got my RWC preview mag on Friday (WHSmith in Brent Cross shopping centre) and liked what I saw as I flicked through. Looking forward to a more comprehensive read when I have time.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#48 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Got my RWC preview mag on Friday (WHSmith in Brent Cross shopping centre) and liked what I saw as I flicked through. Looking forward to a more comprehensive read when I have time.

Now available on line as an App.

#49 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

According to journalist Nigel Wiskar, the Mail on Sunday is claiming that the world cup will be a 'damp squib' and that there have been 'little more than a third of seats sold and just 280,000 tickets shifted'.

The world cup crew need to counter some of these articles IMO.

good stuff from the Mail. Im pretty sure that 280k tickets sold is more than a third of seats so something doesnt add up!

#50 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

good stuff from the Mail. Im pretty sure that 280k tickets sold is more than a third of seats so something doesnt add up!

About half I think. Didn't they state 575,000 as the overall available?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#51 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,272 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

RLWC advert will air during the England v Poland football on 15 October

- Severus, July 2012

#52 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

Really interesting those stats. Shows how much of it is down to presentation. The worst World Cup in 2000 was only 2k less that the best World Cup in 1995. The last World Cup, regarded as a massive improvement on 2000 was only 30k more than 2000!

There can be no argument that this World Cup has been the best organised and planned of any of the world cups. There is a real sense of occasion about this World Cup, so not only should the crowd record be broken, but the whole event should feel so much more special.

It's worth noting the 1995 World Cup only had 15 games versus 2000 which had 31, so whilst it drew a smaller aggregate, it had a higher per average per game....  That said 95 worked so well because it over achieved in many's eyes.  No one was expecting a big crowd for the opening clash at Wembley, but over 40,000 turned up.  England then drew 26,000 against Fiji and 14,000 against South Africa which meant any highlights looked great.

Compare this to 2000, a lot of promise of a big crowd at Twickenham yet only 33,000 there.  Throw in then 5,700 for England v Russia and 10,000 for England v Fiji, the tournament didn't really redeem itself in terms of attendances until the Final, which was too late.

We might still be a distance from the target, but we are on track for record World Cup attendances which is worth being positive about.  I sincerely hope we make the target, or better yet exceed it, but if we get to the end of the tournament, and we end up with 350K plus, and the crowds at Cardiff, London, Manchester, and the other England games are great, then I won't be complaining.

The vast majority of people who will interact with our tournament will be with those games, either by attending, reading about or watching on BBC.  So lets hope they are all successes and lets hope for a strong England performance.  The media won't care about who plays for Scotland if England does well in the World Cup.

Posted Image

#53 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

one thing to bear in mind is that games like the quarters will probably be selling poorly as they are quite difficult to market. When they come around though we should sell thousands during the tournament.

#54 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

There are plenty of sports that would be over the moon to have sold 280000 tickets. So it isn't as many as other sports -so bleeding what? It's a blinking good effort so far.

#55 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,767 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

There are plenty of sports that would be over the moon to have sold 280000 tickets. So it isn't as many as other sports -so bleeding what? It's a blinking good effort so far.

And now, with the SL season finished, people's attention can now be directed towards the RWC and we will see what constitutes the 'big push'. Anyone wailing and gnashing their teeth at this point has definitely jumped the gun.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#56 League Express

League Express
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

RLWC advert will air during the England v Poland football on 15 October

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#57 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

one thing to bear in mind is that games like the quarters will probably be selling poorly as they are quite difficult to market. When they come around though we should sell thousands during the tournament.

This is borne out by the fact that it looks like 1542 TERRACE tickets have been sold so far for the New Zealand v Samoa group match at Warrington, whereas only 583 tickets have been sold for the quarter-final at the same venue. I don't think anyone is suggesting that we won't get several thousand more than that on the day.

#58 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

Would like to see RLWC13 partner with a newspaper or magazine to produce and distribute some short highlights DVDs, the Mirror might be an ideal newspaper to do this with. While it might be a rag of a newspaper, it has been quite favourable for RL in recent times. DVDs aren't expensive to produce these days, and a DVD giveaway of highlights from previous World cups in one of the editions would be great exposure for the tournament.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#59 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

Let's not forget sales on the day of the game.

I've booked all the tickets i've wanted for games outside the city I live in (Leeds).

Regarding the 2 games at Headingley I will be paying on the gate (unless I hear news of 'selling out' being spoken) because it's 10 mins down the road.

Anyone else doing this or am I on my own with this one lol!

All I'm getting at is pay on the day supporters will increase attendances quite high so if 280,000 is the correct figure quoted I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Roll on the 26th!!!

#60 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

This is borne out by the fact that it looks like 1542 TERRACE tickets have been sold so far for the New Zealand v Samoa group match at Warrington, whereas only 583 tickets have been sold for the quarter-final at the same venue. I don't think anyone is suggesting that we won't get several thousand more than that on the day.

Exactly!!!