Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup media coverage

• Please log in to reply
1640 replies to this topic

#741 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

Jiffy raising the old 'what's the point of a RL scrum' question....Nobby responded quickly with 'what's the point of a RU scrum?'

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#742 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

Jiffy raising the old 'what's the point of a RL scrum' question....Nobby responded quickly with 'what's the point of a RU scrum?'

I think the BBC coverage has been excellent, but I'm still unsure why Jiffy is used so much for rugby league matches. Fair enough for Wales games, but other than that I'm not really sure.

#743 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Was looking at the Guardian's live coverage, its being written by a self-confessed Union man who has already had a few digs at our code, and seems determined to do the occasion down as he forgot his ipod.

Come back Andy Wilson, please....

And he also thought Charlie scored for England in the 76th minute!

http://www.theguardi...tralia-live-mbm

#744 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 618 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

And he also thought Charlie scored for England in the 76th minute!

http://www.theguardi...tralia-live-mbm

And gives a union club game score update in the middle of the live text...I'm sure he'd do the same if the roles were reversed

#745 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,735 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

In amongst a great coverage today, Davies was ###### rubbish today. His 'hahaha' when Thurston scored that first Aussie try was even grimmer than Hemmings' 'oh nooooo' when Grix scored against Hudds in the SL semi.

Davies is literally head over heels with Australia, and hates England.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#746 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

Was first on the sports bit on bbc news good couple of mins clips and all positive talk just shows what international rugby can do

#747 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,920 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

Double page spread in the lanzarote edition of the mirror
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#748 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

Apparently, I read from David Liew on Twitter, there will be coverage in the first three sports pages of the Telegraph tomorrow.  He says that hasn't happened before.  I shall buy it and see if that's true!

Edited by Saintslass, 26 October 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#749 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

Worked as a volunteer in the media section today, very big interest, virtually every seat in the large press box was occupied.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#750 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,016 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Just doing a search this morning, and everything was resoundingly positive, even a good article from a woman newbie in iirc the Independent, who could see what the fuss was about but it wasn't for her.
Incidentally, I thought the opening ceremony was fantastic. To make so much of a limited budget was a work of genius. It was really atmospheric, and even the dreaded dancing sections worked brilliantly, as they were doing some slow tackles, to the ground, play the ball dance. Simply brilliant.

#751 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

I take umbrage with the Independent.More space given to a woman saying "Ive never been before & you know what,it's not for me" than to the 2 games combined . Then,4 pages of Rugger obviously. What will they run for the Semis?Yet another journo telling us that RL isnt their cup of tea? Hope they go bust

#752 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

Great match report in the Telegraph, even rounds the attendance up for a change.

http://www.telegraph...tch-report.html

On the other hand, this is a pathetically awful piece of pointless, unenthusiastic journalism by Sarah Morrison in the Independent

http://www.independe...es-8906300.html

Edited by Daltoni, 27 October 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#753 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

That's one hell of a round up of the attendance!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#754 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,016 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

Even the King of the Vichies Steohen Jones was struggling to put the jack boot in. Of course he did his best, but the hatchet jobs look more bitter and twisted than ever when set alongside the overwhelming majority of the coverage.

#755 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

Have seen on another forum that the England V Australia viewing figures peaked at 2.4m with and average of 1.8m and Wales v Italy peaked at 1m.

I have no idea what sort of viewing figures RL gets on the BBC normally, is this good, bad or indifferent?

#756 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

Have seen on another forum that the England V Australia viewing figures peaked at 2.4m with and average of 1.8m and Wales v Italy peaked at 1m.

I have no idea what sort of viewing figures RL gets on the BBC normally, is this good, bad or indifferent?

Well an average super league game on sky would get on average 150-200k viewers international slighly more

#757 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

The Challenge cup final gets around 1m, usually a bit less.

The 2000WC games got over 3m but I'd suggest that all figures have gone down since then.

#758 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Dave Woods cited these figures on Twitter today and he called those figures 'ace'.  The first, on BBC1, represented 21% of the viewing audience at that time, which isn't so bad I don't think.

#759 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Some journalists are determined to be negative.

Chris Irvine's article in the Times leads with 'McNamara's side exposed at the Millenium,' and then mentions how Australia were always ahead of us and will be comfortably ahead come 5 weeks time.

Even Steve Mascord focussed on a bad atmosphere and called the game slow bizarrely. I thought it looked really fast and intense, especially in the first half.

#760 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

Some journalists are determined to be negative.

Chris Irvine's article in the Times leads with 'McNamara's side exposed at the Millenium,' and then mentions how Australia were always ahead of us and will be comfortably ahead come 5 weeks time.

Even Steve Mascord focussed on a bad atmosphere and called the game slow bizarrely. I thought it looked really fast and intense, especially in the first half.

I didn't even bother with The Times today because I anticipated Irvine would be negative.  It's his raison d'etre.  I read the Telegraph instead and although the opinion piece was a bit patronising, overall the full page was a good read and having three full pages in three consecutive days in the Telegraph is in itself reason for a smile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users