World Cup media coverage

• Please log in to reply
1640 replies to this topic

#901 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

James Martin is a big union fan, never shuts up about it.

There was a match report by Chris Irvine in the times today. Decent piece and no moans from Mr Happy. There was almost most of a page on Sam Burgess "He's not thug, say Mac" or something similar was the headline. The lD opposite me on the train to Bristol was reading it. Tiny bit in the Daily Mail, I saw on the train from Workington to Carlisle this morning.

Going to be a bit on BBC Radio Bristol in a few minutes apparently.

Edited by South Wakefield Sharks, 30 October 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#902 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,899 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

excellent read!!

#903 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 957 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

There was a match report by Chris Irvine in the times today. Decent piece and no moans from Mr Happy. There was almost most of a page on Sam Burgess "He's not thug, say Mac" or something similar was the headline. The lD opposite me on the train to Bristol was reading it. Tiny bit in the Daily Mail, I saw on the train from Workington to Carlisle this morning.

Going to be a bit on BBC Radio Bristol in a few minutes apparently.

You do Irvine a dis-service there. He described last nights game as 'outstanding', which is quite a change in vocab for him.

#904 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Basic stuff I know but let's always try and comment plus tweeting if we're happy with coverage.

Basic stuff I know but let's always try and comment plus tweeting if we're happy with coverage.

Quite agree, let them know when the coverage is both good and bad, powerful stuff this twitter !

#905 Cowardly Fan

Cowardly Fan
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

just read a Eurosport article by someone called Desmond Kane. what a tool. why do people choose to write about RL if they have no interest in it? why slag a sport off for the sake of it? what if a RL writer started to write articles about how boring football is, or why do RU copy everything from league? there would be uproar! rant over

This wound me up, so I have emailed ukcomms@eurosport.com about it, nothing too long just that they should get some qualified to write about RL.  Always a (small) chance that if they get a few emails (and read the comments) they will move him off RL and get someone with some sense in.   

#906 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,518 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

You do Irvine a dis-service there. He described last nights game as 'outstanding', which is quite a change in vocab for him.

I bet he had to look that word up in a dictionary it's been that long since he last used it. <_<
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#907 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

The Scotland v Tonga match gets all of 37 words in today's SMH ! Pathetic!

There is a big picture, though + a big article on Marwan koukash wanting to pay $BW $1m to play for Salford !

I do wonder about (the lack of) international TV coverage of this World Cup; the whole world should be watching this but they can't ...

without taking anything away from the organisers, who've done a great job, it's a lost opportunity. Shame. 

Edited by Jim from Oz, 30 October 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#908 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,391 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

The Scotland v Tonga match gets all of 37 words in today's SMH ! Pathetic!

There is a big picture, though + a big article on Marwan koukash wanting to pay $BW $1m to play for Salford !

I do wonder about (the lack of) international TV coverage of this World Cup; the whole world should be watching this but they can't ...

without taking anything away from the organisers, who've done a great job, it's a lost opportunity. Shame. 

Well according to something I was reading earlier, this will be broadcast in more countries than any previous WC.

#909 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:10 PM

I know any Daily Mail link can cause some of the forum members to spontaneously combust, but the RL web pages on the DM make for great reading at the moment.

http://www.dailymail...ague/index.html

#910 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

Another piece in the Daily Telegraph today although mainly about Sam Burgess being called a thug, with a small report on the Scotland game last night.  The rugby union appears to have taken over a bit now, sadly. Still, in the DT, any coverage is better than what is normally there and at least they haven't gone all Press Association like the Gruniad have (online anyway; I believe there is no coverage in their print edition but I don't buy the paper and so I don't know for sure).

#911 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

I hoped Lionel Richie was spotted at a game. :(

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#912 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

The world cup is obviously a sucess as those two tools on 5live Breakfast couldn't wait to get an opportunity to denigrate the USA match this morning whiclst talking up union on BT Sport.

#913 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

Still poor coverage in London. I do wonder whether at least one nation should have been based in London to help media coverage. I think the Aus V Fiji game should have been at Loftus Rd rather than St Helens who have done nothing by all accounts

#914 Phil C

Phil C
  • Coach
  • 443 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

Bristol Post match report from last night (written by the Sonics' full back):

http://www.bristolpo...tail/story.html

#915 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

Bristol Post match report from last night (written by the Sonics' full back):

http://www.bristolpo...tail/story.html

Don't think he should have brought the Bristol RU crowd into it given how precious union fans can be.

#916 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

The world cup is obviously a sucess as those two tools on 5live Breakfast couldn't wait to get an opportunity to denigrate the USA match this morning whiclst talking up union on BT Sport.

No surprise when a 7000+ crowd turns up, bigger than Bristol Rovers or Bristol RU have had this season, to watch two minnows in a competition that Campbell and Burden see as insignifican but are still worried by the potential of TGG.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 31 October 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#917 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

excellent read!!

Yes, very good. But what was the name of the puppy?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#918 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

How do you denigrate a match like that? What was the gist?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#919 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,159 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

just read a Eurosport article by someone called Desmond Kane. what a tool. why do people choose to write about RL if they have no interest in it? why slag a sport off for the sake of it? what if a RL writer started to write articles about how boring football is, or why do RU copy everything from league? there would be uproar! rant over

Every cliché going, including "flat cap and whippet". He even, with total irrelevance, brings up the Hopoate incident, for no other reason than to denigrate the sport. What a dinosaur - totally out of touch.

LINK TOARTICLE

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#920 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

How do you denigrate a match like that? What was the gist?

"A team made up from a couple of Americans plus "others" from elsewhere! Of course more rugby union is played in America" is about the gist of the bit I caught at the end of the piece.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users