Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup media coverage

• Please log in to reply
1640 replies to this topic

#1401 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

It's a learning experience though. If we keep getting great viewing figures and as we've had massive crowds we have objective evidence to bring to the table next time. Even the most virulent anti league press outlets haven't been able to vilify us this time. It's not where we want to be , but it's progress.
We'd all like our game to get the press it deserves, but this will take time. Keep the faith - we've come a long way in simply establishing the credibility of our World Cup. Let's learn, build and build. As Bennett says it's about what game we hand over to our children. That will take time but we've made massive strides already.

I agree that we have made huge strides since 2000, but am still mightily annoyed at the total lack of build-up to the semi-final.

There should be a review of the tournament to date, features on the stars, the teams, host venues (Fiji and Rochdale for example)...etc etc.

I'm not arguing for parity with the Ashes but just a little more would be nice.

#1402 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

Timing.

it's only Wednesday and although the committed viewer will have no need of a BBC reminder, the uncommitted will in my view make a viewing decision much nearet the event.

That makes sense. Hopefully, we'll see the BBC step things up in the next few days.

#1403 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,677 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

That makes sense. Hopefully, we'll see the BBC step things up in the next few days.

Yeah, because that is what the BBC will be doing for the Six Nations etc. The fact that they haven't had some kind of midweek show and haven't had a single phone-in to gauge the mood of the fans is a scandal. They have done nothing to convey the excitement of the tournament week-to-week. Bunging highlights shows on at midnight is a clear example of this.

#1404 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves also calls out SBW after video goes viral... Very funny!

Posted Image

#1405 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,683 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

Then BBC's view of "must not miss" sports

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/17151954

#1406 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Yeah, because that is what the BBC will be doing for the Six Nations etc. The fact that they haven't had some kind of midweek show and haven't had a single phone-in to gauge the mood of the fans is a scandal. They have done nothing to convey the excitement of the tournament week-to-week. Bunging highlights shows on at midnight is a clear example of this.

It's a bit like when the SL Show wasn't shown nationally, and when the BBC relented they televised it at a rather unfriendly time.

#1407 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

Then BBC's view of "must not miss" sports

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/17151954

That's funny - I could have sworn that earlier in the week they had Formula 1, League, then Union as the order of listings on that page - and they tend to renew it just once per week, typically on a Monday. Now it's Formula 1, Union, then League.

Edited by Banbury Wolf, 20 November 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#1408 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

A decent piece from The Roar(!), Rugby League's media revolution.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#1409 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

That is it. We are not talking about being miffed at short mentions/snippets etc. This is a choice to ignore the build up completely - the BBC despite having the rights seem utterly compliant in this.

Anyone who disagrees simply needs to looks at the first 30 pages of this thread to see what were are getting prior to the tournament. Saying that, we could be ringing up the BBC and other outlets and complain in droves but I think we are resigned to a feeling of 'we know our place' etc.

Anyone know the best way to complain to the BBC, email etc? I'm definitely going to, even if I'm the only one. Didn't it get a mention a couple of weeks ago because of complaints. I think as many people on this Forum as possible should do likewise

#1410 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

Timing.

it's only Wednesday and although the committed viewer will have no need of a BBC reminder, the uncommitted will in my view make a viewing decision much nearet the event.

I don't buy that at all. It is a matter of days now to the game, after which England may be out. It could be the last time that the non RL fan gets to see them. What possible benefit is it to the BBC or the game of RL if they decide to start advertising it 24 hours before the game and thus possibly minimise the number of viewers? They certainly don't do it for other big sporting events, and while RL may not be as huge as some of the other events, surely it warrants more than this? 

Remember, I aren't suggesting we deserve 5 hour build ups or hours of phone ins dedicated to it but what would it take for some person to say (every day leading up to the game from the previous Saturday) 'and don't forget there is the RLWC between England-NZ on BBC1 this Saturday afternoon'. What would that take...5 seconds? It really is not good enough and definitely shows up all their previous defences to be just hot air.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#1411 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

It's a learning experience though. If we keep getting great viewing figures and as we've had massive crowds we have objective evidence to bring to the table next time. Even the most virulent anti league press outlets haven't been able to vilify us this time. It's not where we want to be , but it's progress.
We'd all like our game to get the press it deserves, but this will take time. Keep the faith - we've come a long way in simply establishing the credibility of our World Cup. Let's learn, build and build. As Bennett says it's about what game we hand over to our children. That will take time but we've made massive strides already.

I agree with that, I think we as a game are doing a good job. I'm loathe to criticise the RLWC team, my anger is all aimed at the BBC.

#1412 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

Anyone know the best way to complain to the BBC, email etc? I'm definitely going to, even if I'm the only one. Didn't it get a mention a couple of weeks ago because of complaints. I think as many people on this Forum as possible should do likewise

Was mentioned on Points Of View ("coverage doesn't live up to the billing"), but the BBC assured us they were doing everything they could to cover all games ("all games live on BBC Radio Five Live Sports Xtra").

Jeremy Vine then rounded it off with something to the effect of "so there you have it, the BBC is providing really good coverage for rugby league fans. In fact you can watch highlights of the latest matches on BBC2 later tonight at eleven fifty."

Key points:

1) "for rugby league fans" - What about the casual sports viewer which the organisers of a world cup in any sport are hoping to reach? This timeslot makes it very difficult to achieve this goal.

2) "BBC Radio Five Live Sports Xtra" - Again, the savvy League fan would be able to tune in, but what about potential new fans?

#1413 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

Plus point for the BBC; the Radio 5 sports panel this Monday, possibly because Tony Livesey was the stand-in presenter, didn't relegate Rugby League to the last 30 seconds of the programme. In fact, not only did it start with the World Cup, it actually was an extended discussion, rather than one brief interview and a hurried "now here's the news".   :O

LINK TO PROGRAMME - skip to about 17 minutes in for the start of the sports panel, with guest pundits Henry Paul and Luther Blissett.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#1414 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

Plus point for the BBC; the Radio 5 sports panel this Monday, possibly because Tony Livesey was the stand-in presenter, didn't relegate Rugby League to the last 30 seconds of the programme. In fact, not only did it start with the World Cup, it actually was an extended discussion, rather than one brief interview and a hurried "now here's the news".   :O

LINK TO PROGRAMME - skip to about 17 minutes in for the start of the sports panel, with guest pundits Henry Paul and Luther Blissett.

To be fair the Beeb have done some great one-off articles/programmes on radio to cater for RL fans. The issue many of us have is of course promotion of their coverage of the tournament to a potentially much wider audience.

#1415 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

To be fair the Beeb have done some great one-off articles/programmes on radio to cater for RL fans. The issue many of us have is of course promotion of their coverage of the tournament to a potentially much wider audience.

That's exactly the issue. We know what is happening but how many don't? It's not logical to broadcast something like this and not tell the wider audience about it.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#1416 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,677 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

To be fair the Beeb have done some great one-off articles/programmes on radio to cater for RL fans. The issue many of us have is of course promotion of their coverage of the tournament to a potentially much wider audience.

Exactly, it almost feels apologetic if it is put in the sports bulletin. Why is any team announcement for Cricket, Football or RU followed by an interview with a reporter on the scene and a summary of the match ahead?

All the RLWC squad announcements appear to be in the "and finally" slot of 5Live's sport's bulletin - if at all. "and England have made one change to their side.... quick where's the travel"!

Edited by Scubby, 20 November 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#1417 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Exactly, it almost feels apologetic if it is put in the sports bulletin. Why is any team announcement for Cricket, Football or RU followed by an interview with a reporter on the scene and a summary of the match ahead?

All the RLWC squad announcements appear to be in the "and finally" slot of 5Live's sport's bulletin - if at all. "and England have made one change to their side.... quick where's the travel"!

Because so few BBC newsreaders/presenters know enough about the sport to make an informed comment on it, they probably feel it's better to say nothing rather than make a fool of themselves, perhaps?

#1418 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,677 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

Because so few BBC newsreaders/presenters know enough about the sport to make an informed comment on it, they probably feel it's better to say nothing rather than make a fool of themselves, perhaps?

They never rely on the newsreader though for team announcements for the other sports. It is "let's hear from our correspondent Ian Robertson, Jonathan Agnew, Alan Green, Cornelius Lycette etc.

#1419 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

The Small but Loud Show, where various slebs are nterviewed by an animated 'Beats by Dre' boombox. This one's Sam Tomkins, and there are others, with Josh Charnley, plus Sam & Josh together. Not the most intelligent or informed interviewer of all time, though!

Edited by Futtocks, 20 November 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#1420 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

That's funny - I could have sworn that earlier in the week they had Formula 1, League, then Union as the order of listings on that page - and they tend to renew it just once per week, typically on a Monday. Now it's Formula 1, Union, then League.

Looks good to me (and no union)  :O

Formula One, rugby league, cricket: Must-not-miss on the BBC

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users