Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup media coverage

• Please log in to reply
1640 replies to this topic

#1421 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

Looks good to me (and no union)  :O

Formula One, rugby league, cricket: Must-not-miss on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/17151954

#1422 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

We won't get a look in now....

looks like England RU clubs are going to be out of the Heineken Cup going forwards - no guessing what will be headlines tomorrow after the Ashes.....

#1423 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

Doubt it. The BBC only really care about internationals. They have never covered the club game

#1424 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,782 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

Pretty decent article about Rangi Chase in the print version of the Daily Mail here in London...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#1425 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,460 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

The RLWC2013 office tweeted a photo of one of the massive digital advertising boards around London on which there is a rather bright advert for the Big Hit.  Looks like the semi finals have been getting a good airing around the capital even if the BBC is still reticent to give the same game the build up it deserves (especially since they are actually televising half of it!).

#1426 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:04 AM

Thursday morning's Sydney Daily Telegraph gave a grand total of 4 small paragraphs to the RLWC ... grrrrr

#1427 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:21 AM

The Australian today had zilch news on league full stop. More on the stupis A$L draft.

#1428 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

Choked on my cornflakes when we got a mention on BBC Breakfast news at 6:30am, second after the cricket.  It was only 15 seconds about Chase being dropped, so nothing too exciting, but progress of sorts.

Guardian online has nothing new - plenty of ####### about St Jonny's kick from 10 years ago though.... :rtfm:

#1429 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:34 AM

BBC article on SBW

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#1430 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

BBC article on SBW

Yep, good piece that. Dirs has been less than complimentary about RL in the past, so a decent effort.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#1431 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,708 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

Riley just tweeted that they were due to do a feature with Sinfield this morning in 5live but England pulled it last night.

#1432 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

Yep, good piece that. Dirs has been less than complimentary about RL in the past, so a decent effort.

I had a very brief twitter chat with him after England lost the Four Nations match at Wembley vs Australia.  I'm not sure if it was the first time he'd watched league but I got the impression he hadn't quite grasped how pervasive the NRL is nor quite why the Kangaroos always sodding win.  Since that game he's clearly watched a bit more and seems to have moved from a "I don't know why they bother" stance to at least being able to find players and aspects of the game to admire.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#1433 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

Riley just tweeted that they were due to do a feature with Sinfield this morning in 5live but England pulled it last night.

I've just seen that. What's the story there? If we don't make key players, in this case the team captain, available for things like this how do we expect the media to take us seriously and give us column inches/air time? 

We are our own worst enemy at times, we really are.  :angry:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#1434 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

Choked on my cornflakes when we got a mention on BBC Breakfast news at 6:30am, second after the cricket.  It was only 15 seconds about Chase being dropped, so nothing too exciting, but progress of sorts.

Guardian online has nothing new - plenty of ####### about St Jonny's kick from 10 years ago though.... :rtfm:

When I saw the sports 'bulletin' around 7:30am on BBC Breakfast news, there was just an extended Cricket Ashes discussion then nothing else.

**HAVE THERE BEEN ANY ADVERTS FOR THE GAME ON BBC1 or BBC2 IN THE EVENINGS THIS WEEK?**

I don't watch tons of telly, but would have expected to have come across something this week!

(I'm resigned to the fact that an action clip with atmospheric music is way too much to ask).

Edited by Banbury Wolf, 22 November 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#1435 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thursday morning's Sydney Daily Telegraph gave a grand total of 4 small paragraphs to the RLWC ... grrrrr

In today's Metro, 49 words. This bloody country's media... :rolleyes: 

Sport magazine had a pretty decent piece on Sam Burgess.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#1436 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

We need to win this bloody cup

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#1437 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

Nigel Wiskar on the nitwit Rothfield and other World Cup subjects: Petero piles in, Bosc in panto, McIlorum says bottom and 10 other things from the world of rugby league this week.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#1438 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

We need to win this bloody cup

Yes.  It would make a decent difference.

I don't see us getting past NZ tomorrow, but let's see.

#1439 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

I liked his tweet for this:

Nigel Wiskar
@nigelwis
It's Friday and I've got two semis on. Plenty of @RLWC2013 madness here mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le…

:)

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#1440 Cowardly Fan

Cowardly Fan
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Email I wrote to the Telegraph and the response.  From experience (albeit in the sport industry not journalism), a v.small amount of complaints can have a significant impact.  Isn't there some quote about how 10 angry housewives could change.  

"I am writing to you to appeal for you to address the sustained imbalance in your sporting coverage.  

Rugby Union and Rugby League have roughly equal levels of support and interest in the UK.  The Rugby League World Cup semi-final is tomorrow, but when I view your sport homepage more coverage is given to the Union World Cup from 10 years ago.  This even stretches, quite ludicrously to a minute-by-minute.  

I am aware of the main reason that Rugby Union consistently enjoys greater press - the vast majority of your sport writers will be from Rugby Union schools.  However, as journalists it is their job to follow the interests of your readership and not try to impose your own."  

"Many thanks for your email regarding coverage of the Rugby League World Cup in the Telegraph. I accept that we have occasionally slipped in the amount we have done but we are pleased and proud that we have given more support to the tournament than any other newspaper.

This has included devoting far more resource and space to it in the build-up than anyone else, leading our section with it on the day it started, having a committed correspondent covering matches, news and features, a weekly column from the England captain, coverage away from the big three teams including match reports and features and committing some of our top writers to the big matches.

The debate about how much rugby league cuts through when it is up against football, rugby union and cricket is one we regularly have and for which there is no scientific answer. But we feel the scale of our coverage - with a few exceptions when we have wrongly neglected it - has been balanced and fair. Anecdotally we know that there has been very positive feedback from organisers and people in the England camp about our coverage.

That is not to say we are resting on our laurels and feel we have cracked it - we are daily having to make calls about how much space we give to different sports all of which are very important in their own right and we cannot and do not please everyone with our decisions. But I hope you will give us another chance and enjoy our coverage of Saturday's very important matches from Ian Chadband and Paul Hayward.

Your feedback and support are greatly appreciated."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users