Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup media coverage

• Please log in to reply
1640 replies to this topic

#1441 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Yes.  It would make a decent difference.

I don't see us getting past NZ tomorrow, but let's see.

I actually think we will but it is the aussies that usually put the boot in..then again, i wonder if the aussies will be able to sustain that previous level of perfomance over 80minutes that they were famous for. :ph34r:

Edited by jacksy, 22 November 2013 - 02:51 PM.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#1442 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

Email I wrote to the Telegraph and the response.  From experience (albeit in the sport industry not journalism), a v.small amount of complaints can have a significant impact.  Isn't there some quote about how 10 angry housewives could change.   "I am writing to you to appeal for you to address the sustained imbalance in your sporting coverage.   Rugby Union and Rugby League have roughly equal levels of support and interest in the UK.  The Rugby League World Cup semi-final is tomorrow, but when I view your sport homepage more coverage is given to the Union World Cup from 10 years ago.  This even stretches, quite ludicrously to a minute-by-minute.   I am aware of the main reason that Rugby Union consistently enjoys greater press - the vast majority of your sport writers will be from Rugby Union schools.  However, as journalists it is their job to follow the interests of your readership and not try to impose your own."   "Many thanks for your email regarding coverage of the Rugby League World Cup in the Telegraph. I accept that we have occasionally slipped in the amount we have done but we are pleased and proud that we have given more support to the tournament than any other newspaper. This has included devoting far more resource and space to it in the build-up than anyone else, leading our section with it on the day it started, having a committed correspondent covering matches, news and features, a weekly column from the England captain, coverage away from the big three teams including match reports and features and committing some of our top writers to the big matches. The debate about how much rugby league cuts through when it is up against football, rugby union and cricket is one we regularly have and for which there is no scientific answer. But we feel the scale of our coverage - with a few exceptions when we have wrongly neglected it - has been balanced and fair. Anecdotally we know that there has been very positive feedback from organisers and people in the England camp about our coverage. That is not to say we are resting on our laurels and feel we have cracked it - we are daily having to make calls about how much space we give to different sports all of which are very important in their own right and we cannot and do not please everyone with our decisions. But I hope you will give us another chance and enjoy our coverage of Saturday's very important matches from Ian Chadband and Paul Hayward. Your feedback and support are greatly appreciated."

Got to agree with the Telegraph on this one. Throughout the World Cup, I think they have been one of the best.

#1443 Cowardly Fan

Cowardly Fan
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

One of the best, but it's not the stiffest of competition.  

We should praise them for good coverage (I have before), but also criticise them for the bad/lack of coverage.  1 day before the semi-finals they are giving more press to Union, which isn't acceptable and they shouldn't be given a pass because of what they have done before.  Instead encouraged to match/surpass their previous coverage

#1444 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

One of the best, but it's not the stiffest of competition.  

We should praise them for good coverage (I have before), but also criticise them for the bad/lack of coverage.  1 day before the semi-finals they are giving more press to Union, which isn't acceptable and they shouldn't be given a pass because of what they have done before.  Instead encouraged to match/surpass their previous coverage

Don't disagree. We've started from a very low baseline in coverage. It's lifted during the World Cup, and I think the Telegraph have probably been the best of a bad bunch. I am a bit surprised that generally there doesn't seem to be that much interest in the semi-finals in the press.

Not sure why. It's a semi-final. It's at Wembley. There will be a very big crowd. It's live on BBC on Saturday afternoon. It's the biggest England/GB international for years. The coach has made a significant team selection change.

Seems a bit odd to me.

#1445 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

I have not come across anyone in London in the last few weeks who is unaware of the World Cup. When my PA - who is proper sarf lahndon - has an opinion on tomorrow's game from the London breakfast show - NZ are the strongest team in the competition - I think we can relax.
(Of course, according to Northern Sol, Bromley is not in London, but as he never reads any thread that doesn't involve the demise of a club I'm safe having a dig :) )

#1446 faithfulbyname

faithfulbyname
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

Don't disagree. We've started from a very low baseline in coverage. It's lifted during the World Cup, and I think the Telegraph have probably been the best of a bad bunch. I am a bit surprised that generally there doesn't seem to be that much interest in the semi-finals in the press.

Not sure why. It's a semi-final. It's at Wembley. There will be a very big crowd. It's live on BBC on Saturday afternoon. It's the biggest England/GB international for years. The coach has made a significant team selection change.

Seems a bit odd to me.

Its more than odd, its ##### frustrating

#1447 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

England's Kevin Sinfield ready for New Zealand in RLWC semi-final

http://www.theguardi...inal?CMP=twt_gu

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#1448 thehullram

thehullram
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:29 AM

A good double page spread in the Telegraph this morning and a full page in the Daily Mail.

#1449 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

A good piece on BBC news with Adrian Morley on the sofa this morning.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#1450 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

Was a good extended piece on BBC London news yesterday evening
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#1451 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

A good piece on BBC news with Adrian Morley on the sofa this morning.

Wow, I just passed out when I read that Morley was on the sofa! You mean they did an interview with an actual league player on the BBC national breakfast program?!

#1452 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

Wow, I just passed out when I read that Morley was on the sofa! You mean they did an interview with an actual league player on the BBC national breakfast program?!

Most people on here would see that as an improvement on the amount of coverage they usually give to rugby league.
So spare your infantile sarcasm, and it's programme by the way.
  • abd likes this
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#1453 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

Most people on here would see that as an improvement on the amount of coverage they usually give to rugby league.
So spare your infantile sarcasm, and it's programme by the way.

Steady on, You've took my comment the wrong way Bearman don't be so defensive, I'm actually having a dig at the BBC. I am genuinely shocked, it's fantastic that a player of such high status in our game is on the BBC breakfast programme ( is that better) i wish I'd seen it.
Oh and thanks for correcting my spelling, I hope it made you feel better.
Come on England!

Edited by Daltoni, 23 November 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#1454 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

Hadfield straight in with the cold water in the Indy this morning. Feelgood factor harmed by Broncos demise.
Just what we need.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#1455 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hadfield straight in with the cold water in the Indy this morning. Feelgood factor harmed by Broncos demise.

No one likes a cheerleader.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#1456 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Times was ok - Irvine astonishingly fair and with something to say without shoe horning in doom and gloom non sequiturs.
Everyone on our train from Surrey is aware of the game at Wembley. We under estimate the cumulative effect of all the media outlets we have used on this.
Given the instinctive antagonism and our minimal budget it's been a triumph.

#1457 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

Times was ok - Irvine astonishingly fair and with something to say without shoe horning in doom and gloom non sequiturs.
Everyone on our train from Surrey is aware of the game at Wembley. We under estimate the cumulative effect of all the media outlets we have used on this.
Given the instinctive antagonism and our minimal budget it's been a triumph.

That is one good post.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#1458 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Just what we need.

Agreed.

Both stories deserve coverage but why lead with the bad news. Was chuffed to see RL on the front cover of the i this morning. I get the paper home, go to read the story hoping for a nice feel good piece before the game and it's all doom and gloom instead :rtfm: . If it was in mid-season not a problem but on the day of the biggest match of the year, very poor effort.

Would have made more sense to have two pieces, main story on the semis, sidebar on the Broncos. What am I thinking, two pieces on the same day! Silly me. Good job it only cost 30p,

#1459 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hugh McGahan: Cup has been entertaining

http://www.nzherald...._medium=twitter

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????