Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup media coverage

• Please log in to reply
1640 replies to this topic

#1601 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

http://www.canberrat...130-2yio5.html? 

Posted Image

#1602 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

http://www.canberrat...130-2yio5.html?

45 million listening on the radio is fantastic!

#1603 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

Nigel Wood was interviewed on Radio 4 this morning. All questions about negative issues and nothing about the positivity of the World Cup. That didn't take long did it.

#1604 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

More from Chris Irvine in The Times. I haven't seen the print edition yet today so don't how prominent it is in there..

Unprecedented success of World Cup could be wasted if British fans have to wait for meaningful international competition

Rugby league stands at a crossroads after a hugely successful World Cup. The tournament will either be a heady six-week memory, or a genuine building block for popular and commercial growth. The sport dare not fritter away this opportunity.

Take the example of para-cycling in the 2012 Paralympics. Its popularity in London was phenomenal. Since then, the sport has entered the “dark ages”, according to Jody Cundy, Great Britain’s bronze medal-winner, with the UCI still to confirm any track meetings before the next Games in 2016.

That is partly league’s dilemma — a fallow period of three years internationally in this country before the 2016 Four Nations. Does the World Cup shift to a two-year cycle, alternatingbetween the hemispheres? For theinternational game to drive the sport, as it has over the autumn, there must be the stimulus of more competition.

That sport generally has fundament-ally shifted to an events culture was perfectly illustrated by an international record 74,468 crowd filling Old Trafford on Saturday for a final not involving the host nation. Organisers successfully tapped the “events” market in selling more than 450,000 tickets and fulfilling commercial objectives.

The backdrop, however, has been an uneasy peace, with the past month or so resembling the Christmas truce and football games on the Western Front. Clubs fighting over the composition of the Super League from 2015 and overall control of the game are about to take up arms again. Whether in public orprivate remains to be seen.

Any self-congratulation would quickly end should London Broncos go out of business, thereby reducing the Super League to a 13-team competition next season. Without an eleventh-hour deal, either with Barnet or LeytonOrient, the Broncos will enter administration tomorrow night, and it is not the only clock that is ticking.

How does the RFL appease rebel Super League clubs, now in a majority but significantly not with the support of Leeds Rhinos and St Helens? Moreover, just how far is Ian Lenagan, the Wigan Warriors chairman, prepared to push for the leading clubs to control central television funding, at theexpense of those in the lower divisions?

If the RFL is to avoid a full-scale breakaway, hierarchical change would seem to be the price. For Nigel Wood, the Super League chief executive, his part in the World Cup’s success as tournament director certainly offers him a timely exit strategy. A new broom at the top may be able to work with the clubs, for whom the first World Cup dividend would appear to be a Super League sponsor; there are at least three interested companies.

In stark contrast with the financially disastrous 2000 World Cup, this one has delivered a profit of up to £5 million. “In terms of attendance and TV audience, spectacle and profile, commercial and financial success, the tournament has met and, in most cases, exceeded expectations,” Wood said. “It has lit the blue touchpaper for every arm of the sport. It’s my hope everyone involved in rugby league at every level makes the most of the opportunities that now exist. Its success provides the Rugby League International Federation with resources to move the sport forward.”

As RLWC2013 general manager, Sally Bolton delivered a tournament that, as well as showcasing the sport, importantly built on community and cultural roots with potentially long-lasting effects. “Countless people will have been bitten by the bug,” she said. “It’s safe to say there’s never been a better time to be a rugby league supporter.”

Competitive tickets prices undoubtedly helped the World Cup to tap into new markets. A bigger database is all well and good, but the trick is converting that support for what is still a club-based sport that feeds off its parochialism. When England next play is anyone’s guess. There is no longer a dedicated slot in the 2014 fixture list for a mid-season international, only a Four Nations series in Australia and New Zealand next October and November.

Brave new world or not, the sport has rarely had such a spring in its step. Not to take that confidence and reshape the sport to meet the demands of the future would be an appalling waste.

#1605 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

High-pitched BBC boxing pundit Steve Bunce, on 'Fighting Talk' on Saturday, talked about the England/NZ semifinal in just about the most glowing terms possible. I'm not sure I've ever heard him so much as mention the sport before. 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#1606 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

High-pitched BBC boxing pundit Steve Bunce, on 'Fighting Talk' on Saturday, talked about the England/NZ semifinal in just about the most glowing terms possible. I'm not sure I've ever heard him so much as mention the sport before. 

That's good as the RLWC was getting a few little digs on Fighting Talk in previous weeks, notably from Ian Stone (that said, Matthew Hoggard gave it a positive mention on semi-final day). I'm far from being Bunce's biggest fan and knowing he's on the latest edition would normally have me swerving the podcast but might give it a listen now.

#1607 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

That's good as the RLWC was getting a few little digs on Fighting Talk in previous weeks, notably from Ian Stone (that said, Matthew Hoggard gave it a positive mention on semi-final day). I'm far from being Bunce's biggest fan and knowing he's on the latest edition would normally have me swerving the podcast but might give it a listen now.

But thats the whole point of Fighting Talk isn't it, to have digs at stuff.

I keep wanting to watch the England v NZ game again as it was such a great game, but still not managed to bring myself to do it.

Edited by scrape_goose, 02 December 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#1608 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

I think the one unfortunate thing about the timing of the World Cup is that it doesn't flow straight into the season. It's only 2 months, but it would have been ideal if the season was two weeks away. 

#1609 Cookiepuss

Cookiepuss
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

Irvine's piece was a good two-thirds of a page with only an ad beneath it and no other sport on the page. It was obviously dwarfed by the Wales-Australia coverage but that's to be expected.

I saw Calvin's piece last night and I can only assume that at one time or another a leading RL figure has perpetrated some horrendous crime against either him or his family. It was relentlessly negative and aggressive - and pretty much out of step with how the majority of people saw the competition.

Australia's display was as complete as any I can remember and if he can't - or chooses not to - see the sheer quality of the players who carried it out then he shouldn't be doing the job.

#1610 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

But thats the whole point of Fighting Talk isn't it, to have digs at stuff.

I keep wanting to watch the England v NZ game again as it was such a great game, but still not managed to bring myself to do it.

Good point.

Maybe I was just feeling chippy when I heard it as (i) I don't find Ian Stone funny and (ii) I was sitting in a traffic jam at the time!

Edited by Kenny Bania, 02 December 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#1611 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

I think the one unfortunate thing about the timing of the World Cup is that it doesn't flow straight into the season. It's only 2 months, but it would have been ideal if the season was two weeks away. 

Yep and with most juniors now playing summer rugby teams aren't even training at the moment. So any kids wanting to go down to there local club and try the game will have to wait til after Xmas and by then they'll prob all want to be footballers again.

#1612 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

Good point.

Maybe I was just feeling chippy when I heard it as (a) I don't find Ian Stone funny and ( B) I was sitting in a traffic jam at the time!

Stone is representative of a still-large (but hopefully shrinking) percentage of the UK in that for him, if it isn't Football, it isn't even remotely significant. His loss.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#1613 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

Good point.

Maybe I was just feeling chippy when I heard it as (a) I don't find Ian Stone funny and ( B) I was sitting in a traffic jam at the time!

Ah in that case I will forgive your chippiness. At least we are getting a mention. And it's good to laugh at yourself sometimes.

#1614 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Irvine's piece was a good two-thirds of a page with only an ad beneath it and no other sport on the page. It was obviously dwarfed by the Wales-Australia coverage but that's to be expected.

I saw Calvin's piece last night and I can only assume that at one time or another a leading RL figure has perpetrated some horrendous crime against either him or his family. It was relentlessly negative and aggressive - and pretty much out of step with how the majority of people saw the competition.

Australia's display was as complete as any I can remember and if he can't - or chooses not to - see the sheer quality of the players who carried it out then he shouldn't be doing the job.

Calvin earlier today with a typically incisive piece.

Calvin-calvin-and-hobbes-623063_500_346.

Edited by JohnM, 02 December 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#1615 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Any time someone rubbishes something, it means they have something to fear. Who goes out of their way to slag something whose presence they are comfortable with? I'm guessing the World Cup made some of the gatekeeper establishment a tad uncomfortable. 

#1616 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

I don't care what Calvin wrote. The Independent is off-limits to me now, whether printed or online. Ignore it and it will die. And the buffoonish shock-jock Calvin will be out of a job. :) 

#1617 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

I don't care what Calvin wrote. The Independent is off-limits to me now, whether printed or online. Ignore it and it will die. And the buffoonish shock-jock Calvin will be out of a job. :)

Just gone on to its website. For those who aren't boycotting the paper:

http://www.independe...nion/<br><br> As you can see, the second column of the rugby league section is filled with stories from other sports whereas the union equivalent is not. Great stuff from a "quality" title(!)

#1618 RLX111

RLX111
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

The WC has shown us who are friends are.I was totally surprised that Nigel Wood was on SKY after the feature blackout on SKYsports News for 5/6 weeks.A change of heart at Sky?

#1619 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

The WC has shown us who are friends are.

The Telegraph - who'd have guessed?

#1620 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

The transformation of Hadfield into Judas Lickspittle has been especially disappointing.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users