Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Matt Sarsfield

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

Seems he has signed for Leigh next year.

#2 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

yay well done lions keep it up. :angry: still no news of any sort of a positive note.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#3 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

Maybe he was offered a better contract that we couldn't match!

#4 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Leigh are signing everyone. What a big loss. Probably last year's best find

#5 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

It's what comes of having nothing concrete to look towards, players need to know as much as we do!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#6 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

They have also re-signed Tom Armstrong according to their website!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#7 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

Sad to see Matt go but the best of luck to him at Leigh.  I wonder how much longer we will have to wait for a scrap of news to be thrown our way by our club.  Very frustrating.

#8 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

I think Matt Sarsfield will be the first of several of our better players leaving. I have been watching the Lions for 64 years, I went to my first match at the age of five in 1949and I have never felt has fed up as I do know. I am not or have never been a Salford lover bet how I envy them at this present time. A nice new ground even if its not where they wanted it. A owner with a vision and the ambition and financial clout to bring that vision to fruition, what a rosy future for the reds. What have we got?,30 years of false promises. A club run like a secret society. Utter comtempt for its loyal fans. No ground, no vision or ambition for the future, what a sad state of affairs. I posted a few days ago that I thought the issue with Gary was money I now think differently I think it was to do with ambition. Garys vision for the future and the Kidds lack of it.I have come to the conclusionthat the Kidds don't want Swinton in Super league 2 because of the expensethat it will entail I suspect that they would rather see us in championship north where it would cost a lot less to run the team. I am basing these thoughts on the fact that the ambitious teams in the championship are strengthening there teams for the future lets see whether we do the same, I very much dought it although I would be delighted to be proved wrong. I really think we are going to struggle to find a team to compete next season and Ifear the worst. Ijust wish the management would come out of there shell explain there plans for the Lions there ambitions and how the club is going to be financed in the short and long term .Do they want a team IN SL2? can we compete with other clubs for the better players? Are we going to get our ground or are we going to constantly get false promises. If the management come on here and lambast me and prove that what I have written is a load of rubbish I will be more than glad to aplogise, here I am living in hope but i'm not holding my breathe.

#9 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

I think Matt Sarsfield will be the first of several of our better players leaving. I have been watching the Lions for 64 years, I went to my first match at the age of five in 1949and I have never felt has fed up as I do know. I am not or have never been a Salford lover bet how I envy them at this present time. A nice new ground even if its not where they wanted it. A owner with a vision and the ambition and financial clout to bring that vision to fruition, what a rosy future for the reds. What have we got?,30 years of false promises. A club run like a secret society. Utter comtempt for its loyal fans. No ground, no vision or ambition for the future, what a sad state of affairs. I posted a few days ago that I thought the issue with Gary was money I now think differently I think it was to do with ambition. Garys vision for the future and the Kidds lack of it.I have come to the conclusionthat the Kidds don't want Swinton in Super league 2 because of the expensethat it will entail I suspect that they would rather see us in championship north where it would cost a lot less to run the team. I am basing these thoughts on the fact that the ambitious teams in the championship are strengthening there teams for the future lets see whether we do the same, I very much dought it although I would be delighted to be proved wrong. I really think we are going to struggle to find a team to compete next season and Ifear the worst. Ijust wish the management would come out of there shell explain there plans for the Lions there ambitions and how the club is going to be financed in the short and long term .Do they want a team IN SL2? can we compete with other clubs for the better players? Are we going to get our ground or are we going to constantly get false promises. If the management come on here and lambast me and prove that what I have written is a load of rubbish I will be more than glad to aplogise, here I am living in hope but i'm not holding my breathe.

Some good and, very valid points raised here most of which come straight from the heart. If only we had leadership akin to Dr K,'s things might look a whole lot better, especially with the return to S & P etc.

:shout:

Edited by Blue Monkey, 06 October 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#10 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

It is a crazy situation that now exists - the club can afford to sign players on anything longer than a 1 year contract and players will obviously move to any club that offers more money or better prospects, last season the club did not renew the contracts of several players, so I guess players take the view that nothing is secure and they look for the best deal available. The only thing we can expect from a player is that when at the club he does his best and I guess all the players now expect from the club is that it the pays them on time...........

As for next season - my view is the team / coach will be what it is - I cannot not influence that - if I won the lottery, well that would be a different matter, so in the meantime - all I do as a supporter is go the matches and hope for the best..............

#11 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

should have said the club CANNOT afford to sign players on anything other than 1 year contract

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users