TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

twitter

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

For those of you on twitter can't we get the super league grand final trending before the game tonight? Should be a great game, does anyone know if there is an official hahtag? Or is it #slgf ? Get tweeting :-)
Posted Image

#2 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

I think #SLGF is the most commonly used.

RL trends quite regularly these days but Saturday evening is not the best time with Premier League, Strictly and X Factor.

#3 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

Won't it be something like #SLGFWarWig if it follows the usual formula?

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

I'll go with #SLGF or just a general #rugbyleague generally does well.

#5 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

Won't it be something like #SLGFWarWig if it follows the usual formula?

It doesn't need to.

The reason that each game has a unique code is because of the way Twitter trends. Things trend if they see a sudden surge of popularity. The reason we don't just use #rugbyleague all the time is because it is difficult to get trending as it has quite a regular amount of traffic and would require a much bigger upsurge for it to be recognised by Twitter. However, if you create a unique hashtag like #SLLeeWar it will go from almost no usage to a large amount of usage and is more likely to be picked up.

#SLGF is a unique code in itself so doesn't need the unique club names.

When we first started a couple of years ago I became a little disillusioned by the RFL/SL's approach to it. In a matter of a week we successfully got a game trending and I had contacted the RFL, Sky and League Express about this, even getting an article published in LE about them. Super League has a designated person responsible for social media and he had shown no interest in them when I had contacted him. That was until about 2 hours before the SL Grand Final when he released a separate one to the one that we had been promoting through players, media and LE of course. He has rarely used them since.

There was a lot of opposition to it at the time but it has since become accepted and is regularly used and fairly regularly trends. We also see that now other sports in this country use them like Football and RU. It wouldn't take a lot to release the weekly hashtags under the official banner for people to use when watching Sky, even Sky could show them.

After all, anything that promotes people to talk about RL is surely a good thing.

#6 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Not trending yet... :( loads of tweets about it though..

Posted Image

#7 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Not trending yet... :( loads of tweets about it though..

Don't get your hopes up. If it will trend it will be during the game but like I said earlier, we're up against much bigger events like Strictly and the Premier League.

#8 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

Ian Ramsdale ‏@ianramsdale

"#SLGF" trending 5th in the UK; "#GrandFinal" trending 2nd in Manchester. "Warrington" TOP trend in London (above #MUFC Moyes & X Factor).

Posted Image

#9 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

According to Ian Ramsdale, 'Warrington', 'Pat Richards' and 'rugby league' were all at various points in the top ten trends in London just after the grand final.  He reckons he has never seen rugby league trending before in London.

World Cup effect?

#10 Mikeyg

Mikeyg
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

According to Ian Ramsdale, 'Warrington', 'Pat Richards' and 'rugby league' were all at various points in the top ten trends in London just after the grand final.  He reckons he has never seen rugby league trending before in London.

World Cup effect?

He just hasn't been paying attention. I've seen Rugby League things trending in London plenty of times.

Edited by Mikeyg, 05 October 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#11 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

Anyone see the Garry Schofield tweet? The miserable, negative, clueless weapon.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 06 October 2013 - 08:07 AM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#12 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Anyone see the Garry Schofield tweet? The miserable, negative, clueless weapon.

I don't follow him (coz he annoys me).  What did he say?

#13 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

“@GarrySchofield6: Game over Warrington win easily now”

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Ha!  What a plonker. 

#15 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

To be fair he was saying what many people thought. I certainly thought that Wire were in total control and not just on the score front, it was nearly switched over in my house!

#16 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 736 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

When we first started a couple of years ago I became a little disillusioned by the RFL/SL's approach to it. In a matter of a week we successfully got a game trending and I had contacted the RFL, Sky and League Express about this, even getting an article published in LE about them. Super League has a designated person responsible for social media and he had shown no interest in them when I had contacted him. That was until about 2 hours before the SL Grand Final when he released a separate one to the one that we had been promoting through players, media and LE of course. He has rarely used them since.

Compare this to the NRL approach - they had #NRLGF painted on the pitch at the half way line for the Grand Final. Who is the clown who thinks hashtags are not a good way of promoting the game?

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

To be fair he was saying what many people thought. I certainly thought that Wire were in total control and not just on the score front, it was nearly switched over in my house!

Wigan were still full if life, and were creating far more than wire.

#18 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

Seems a bit crackers though to be thinking Wire had won it when the halftime hooter hadn't even sounded?  We all know how momentum shifts in rugby league.  I enjoyed Warrington's purple patch solely because it was pretty much the only period of the game where some real attacking skill was on show but it never crossed my mind that they had won it.  There was way too much of the game still left to play and in recent years I have not seen a Wigan team of any description capitulate.  They aren't the most entertaining of Wigan sides but they are very determined and that can go a long way in any game, especially a knock out game.

Edited by Saintslass, 06 October 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#19 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Compare this to the NRL approach - they had #NRLGF painted on the pitch at the half way line for the Grand Final. Who is the clown who thinks hashtags are not a good way of promoting the game?

I think it's fairly well agreed that the RFL is hopeless when it comes to marketing our sport. 

Edited by Saintslass, 06 October 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#20 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

I highly doubt, even if they had asked, they would have been able to do anything similar on the OT pitch.

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users