Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Boxing Day

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

I have this conversation with my son, minus the Leslie Driver reference. I waited a half a century for some real success, I just hope he does not have to wait so long.

Didn't Driver once turn down an advance from millionaire businessman Leslie Silver to buy the club in the early 1980's, before he went on to buy Leeds United?

Posted Image

#22 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

Listen, RHP, wearing bridesmaids outfits doesn't make Equalizer a sad person.

A little unusual, perhaps - but in these enlightened days we mustn't mock those brave enough to challenge the norms of our society.

There's room enough for all views in this world.

Even Dewsbury supporters.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#23 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

Didn't Driver once turn down an advance from millionaire businessman Leslie Silver to buy the club in the early 1980's, before he went on to buy Leeds United?

Never heard this one, though I know Silver was prominent in the town through SPL and then Kalon. Driver seemed to be one of those very 70's figures to me, who drove around in his Jag and oversaw a very ignominious period in our clubs history. I feel that if he was offered that amount of money then he would probably have taken it, but have no evidence on which to base that statement.

#24 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

i heard that but choose leeds united and then bally came along and saved the club with ronnie earnshaw and a few others

#25 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

Can't think why anyone would think that Dewsbury have signed rubbish for next season, they all look reliable to me. For one, Tom H would have walked into any other team this last season, and think he had a bad hand dealt at the back end when despite all he couldn't get selected. they also have a Salford lad with SL experience, we mustn't be too cocky until we see full confirmation of what is happening for us. Boxing day will be an interesting experience!

#26 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

Can't think why anyone would think that Dewsbury have signed rubbish for next season, they all look reliable to me. For one, Tom H would have walked into any other team this last season, and think he had a bad hand dealt at the back end when despite all he couldn't get selected. they also have a Salford lad with SL experience, we mustn't be too cocky until we see full confirmation of what is happening for us. Boxing day will be an interesting experience!

Boxing Day is always interesting regardless of the teams and has no bearing on the coming season as it is the first run out and generally involves wholesale changes.

However, I would suggest we have reason to look forward to the coming season after our finish to the last. Despite what others might think, cockiness is not a part of our make-up for the reasons discussed previously in this thread.

Edited by distantdog, 06 October 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#27 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Yep,remember times like that bsj..I don't think some of our younger supporters really realise how lucky they are to be supporting batley through times like these,or some of our older ones for that matter,we really should appreciate what is happening at the club both on and off the pitch,and pray the days of Leslie driver etc. never return.

we did finish in the top 16 playoffs  when it was just 1 division  whilst les driver was the chairman and aslo made some quite astute signings eg Stan Gittens,Tommy Martyn Snr,John Cooke, Tank walker,Keith Toohey,Phil holmes, Trevor oldroyd to name a few and in those days transfer fees were payable pre bosman era... and yes in answer to phildog .. leslie silver did approach the club but as far as i know he was turned down as he wanted 100% control of the club whilst still been involved with leeds Utd where he was ploughing a load of dough into

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#28 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

It would have been early 70's as inspector Harry Jones took over mid 70's then Peter Wilson back end of the 70's as charman before Peter mcveigh

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#29 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

Boxing Day is always interesting regardless of the teams and has no bearing on the coming season as it is the first run out and generally involves wholesale changes.

However, I would suggest we have reason to look forward to the coming season after our finish to the last. Despite what others might think, cockiness is not a part of our make-up for the reasons discussed previously in this thread.

Next season will be hard to call as far as who ends up where is concerned. The 2013 season finished with the top five being the predicted ones, and in truth they were always going to be better than the rest. Next season, I reckon one or two clubs will have invested heavily in their team - possibly more than they can afford to too. I think therefore, that the whole division will be much tighter, and that some clubs will bankrupt themselves trying to guarantee a place in the second tier. Looking at the current signings of the dogs and the Rams, I'd say the dogs look slightly weaker than last season, and the Rams slightly stronger, but both clubs are still in negotiations with players, so I guess it's hard to say how successful the teams might be. DR, might also have a bearing on the strengths of both teams. The dogs are tied to a stable club with a bigger (and higher quality) player base than the one the rams have climbed into bed with,  (I'm not convinced the Bulls will even get through the 2014 season), so I reckon you'll have the edge on the DR's. Interesting times ahead I feel.

#30 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Really can't see anyone being cocky on this thread? As for Hemingway, he's a great goalkicker, but 'would walk into any other team'? I think we need to get real here. Decent player and a capable stand-in while Moore was injured - yes, but no more than that. He's certainly nowhere near worth the money Dewsbury are allegedly paying him. If he was our first choice halfback for the season, I'd be worried!

Posted Image

#31 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Next season will be hard to call as far as who ends up where is concerned. The 2013 season finished with the top five being the predicted ones, and in truth they were always going to be better than the rest. Next season, I reckon one or two clubs will have invested heavily in their team - possibly more than they can afford to too. I think therefore, that the whole division will be much tighter, and that some clubs will bankrupt themselves trying to guarantee a place in the second tier. Looking at the current signings of the dogs and the Rams, I'd say the dogs look slightly weaker than last season, and the Rams slightly stronger, but both clubs are still in negotiations with players, so I guess it's hard to say how successful the teams might be. DR, might also have a bearing on the strengths of both teams. The dogs are tied to a stable club with a bigger (and higher quality) player base than the one the rams have climbed into bed with,  (I'm not convinced the Bulls will even get through the 2014 season), so I reckon you'll have the edge on the DR's. Interesting times ahead I feel.

As far as the forwards are concerned I think we are ok if we can cover the hooking position adequately. Walmesley is a workhorse and while he worked hard he rarely had a great impact. Hirst had a great play off series but was quite low key throughout the season. I do not think in that part of the game we will be significantly weaker. We are down on backs at the moment but as you quite rightly say, I think there are announcements to come so judgement has to be reserved. As of yet, I do not think any club's recruitment and retention has been particularly eye catching, especially if you ignore the rumours around Featherstone which if true would suggest they are running with a squad size of about 356 players!!!

#32 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

Listen, RHP, wearing bridesmaids outfits doesn't make Equalizer a sad person.

A little unusual, perhaps - but in these enlightened days we mustn't mock those brave enough to challenge the norms of our society.

There's room enough for all views in this world.

Even Dewsbury supporters.

Who was the first one to say you did the H.W Proud.

#33 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Fair play on your sporting well wishes - for which I thank you.

You were also the first to mention bridesmaids, to which I responded in similar vein.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users