TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

RLWC13 Cardiff

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Let's not get carried away. Even if they don't sell another ticket it should be a decent crowd. Possibly the biggest RL crowd at the Millennium.

No its not as big as RU or whatever but it is still a bloody good effort.

What about the 3 near sold-out Challenge Cup finals at Cardiff?

#22 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

It's up to Cardiff council to promote the comp in Cardiff. They bid for it. But they did nothing for the Magic Weekends when they were held in Cardiff so it's no surprise they are doing nothing for the world cup either.

i think that's true for everywhere except the opener, semis and finals which were picked for a number of different reasons. We all know these are the key games and are overwhelmingly the strategic responsibility of the rlwc organisers. If they choose to leave it the tender mercies of Cardiff council then that was a serious strategic blunder
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

how come all this negativityhas come about?

#24 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Let's not get carried away. Even if they don't sell another ticket it should be a decent crowd. Possibly the biggest RL crowd at the Millennium.

No its not as big as RU or whatever but it is still a bloody good effort.

But should we be satisfied with that?  I don't think so.  I think because it is our world cup we should be pushing for the best.  'A bloody good effort' is old style British thinking.  We are post Olympics, post Wimbledon men's tennis champ being British, post a Brit winning the Tour de France for the first time, post a couple of Aussie bashing wins at the cricket Ashes.  We are no longer a country of 'well, we tried'.  We are now a country of 'only the best will do'. 

So I think it's outright pathetic of Cardiff and of whoever else may have had a hand in the lack of promotion for our event in the city where we are holding our opening ceremony that such a situation should have been allowed to happen.  A bloody good effort?  Nope.  Not good enough!

#25 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

i think that's true for everywhere except the opener, semis and finals which were picked for a number of different reasons. We all know these are the key games and are overwhelmingly the strategic responsibility of the rlwc organisers. If they choose to leave it the tender mercies of Cardiff council then that was a serious strategic blunder

Actually, I think you are correct.  I remember reading recently that Cardiff came about because Wales are a host nation and the Welsh regional authority are paying towards the opening ceremony.  Which means then that the responsibility for promoting the matches in Cardiff probably lies with the RLWC office as do the final and The Big Hit (the latter having had its own promotional day plus posters and other initiatives around London). 

#26 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

from me it stems from that they have done so much right but I can't ignore the fact that currently Cardiff has 1 preview mag for every 100,000 people in the city! It's just frustration more than negative really, still looking forward to it massively but seeing what Bristol can manage for USA versus Cook Islands just raises the expectations
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

#27 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

Actually, I think you are correct.  I remember reading recently that Cardiff came about because Wales are a host nation and the Welsh regional authority are paying towards the opening ceremony.  Which means then that the responsibility for promoting the matches in Cardiff probably lies with the RLWC office as do the final and The Big Hit (the latter having had its own promotional day plus posters and other initiatives around London).

As I understand it, the WG have contributed a significant six figure sum in legacy funding beyond the RLWC, so it's highly unlikely the lack of promotion is down to them.

I'd have to say the RLWC are the ones responsible.

#28 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

But should we be satisfied with that? I don't think so. I think because it is our world cup we should be pushing for the best. 'A bloody good effort' is old style British thinking. We are post Olympics, post Wimbledon men's tennis champ being British, post a Brit winning the Tour de France for the first time, post a couple of Aussie bashing wins at the cricket Ashes. We are no longer a country of 'well, we tried'. We are now a country of 'only the best will do'.

So I think it's outright pathetic of Cardiff and of whoever else may have had a hand in the lack of promotion for our event in the city where we are holding our opening ceremony that such a situation should have been allowed to happen. A bloody good effort? Nope. Not good enough!

RL is not the Olympics, Wimbledon or the TDF. It isn't that big a sport and it doesn't have to keep comparing itself with its bigger and richer rivals. It has to do the best it possibly can and if it does that then we can't complain.

#29 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

theres gonna be more fans at cardiff for the double header than there would be for the same event in sydney.....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#30 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

What about the 3 near sold-out Challenge Cup finals at Cardiff?

I meant to say International crowd.

#31 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

I meant to say International crowd.

But that's only 18k - so pretty obvious really.

#32 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

But that's only 18k - so pretty obvious really.

Yeah, so we have absolutely smashed the previous record. 

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

so last i heard we have around 35-40k advance sales and this is bad?

#34 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

Yeah, so we have absolutely smashed the previous record. 

I agree and I think we have to put this into perspective. Say the attendance is 57,000 it will be 60-70% higher than the opener for the 2008 WC and 16k higher than the 1995 world cup.

I actually believe this game will get close to sell out. I have never heard a buzz about a competition like this - in RL terms. I think another 20,000 tickets could be shifted in the next 3 weeks.

Edited by Scubby, 05 October 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#35 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

I agree and I think we have to put this into perspective. Say the attendance is 57,000 it will be 60-70% higher than the opener for the 2008 WC and 16k higher than the 1995 world cup.

I actual believe this game will get close to sell out. I have never heard a buzz about a competition like this - in RL terms. I think another 20,000 tickets could be shifted in the next 3 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I would love the game to be a sell out. Realistically, that was never going to happen but there's no shame in that. I was in that stadium for the Gansongate affair and although there weren't that many people actually there in reality, the noise was mental. The point I am trying to make is that forget about the numbers but ensure everyone going enjoys it and the rest will take care of itself

#36 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

I wouldn't class this as negativity as I believe everyone debating on this thread would state the promotion of this World Cup has been good. However, we are stating that we could do even better. There is no doubt that we are only a minor sport in the grand British sporting landscape with a limited budget but there are many ways that the organisers can be pushing the game in Cardiff, which is arguably the most important date in the whole competition. It seems to me from the reactions here of our welsh compatriots and the interaction I've personally had with the RLWC13 team that there is an expectation and reliance on the core support from the heartlands attending in great numbers. However, the press releases of just 30% (lets say around 15k) show they aren't turning up in great numbers and expecting them to do so in the next three weeks isn't going to materialise in my opinion if the opinions on a couple of traditional forums are indicators?!

Therefore concentrating a bit of exposure in Cardiff and the rest of South Wales would be the ideal solution but listening to JannerboyUK and PBC, this isn't happening (my contacts down there have no idea it is going on!). The organisers would sell thousands of tickets through the South Wales Schools system if they tried but it took me providing details for them to get involved in this area. What about promoting at the castle, at Cardiff City today or the running event this weekend? The same with the British military offers available; nobody knew about them until a simple email prompted the RLWC13 team to actually push it...

It is fantastic news we've sold close to 50k for the opener and that already is a good crowd. But we shouldn't settle for it; we should continue to push and seek a sell out as the game deserves it. I do hope Scubby is right and it will be close to a sell out. But we really need to give ourselves the best chance of doing that and I think (as others do in the area), we are falling short...

Edited by GeordieSaint, 05 October 2013 - 10:55 PM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#37 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

I wouldn't class this as negativity as I believe everyone debating on this thread would state the promotion of this World Cup has been good. However, we are stating that we could do even better. There is no doubt that we are only a minor sport in the grand British sporting landscape with a limited budget but there are many ways that the organisers can be pushing the game in Cardiff, which is arguably the most important date in the whole competition. It seems to me from the reactions here of our welsh compatriots and the interaction I've personally had with the RLWC13 team that there is an expectation and reliance on the core support from the heartlands attending in great numbers. However, the press releases of just 30% (lets say around 15k) show they aren't turning up in great numbers and expecting them to do so in the next three weeks isn't going to materialise in my opinion if the opinions on a couple of traditional forums are indicators?!

Therefore concentrating a bit of exposure in Cardiff and the rest of South Wales would be the ideal solution but listening to JannerboyUK and PBC, this isn't happening (my contacts down there have no idea it is going on!). The organisers would sell thousands of tickets through the South Wales Schools system if they tried but it took me providing details for them to get involved in this area. What about promoting at the castle, at Cardiff City today or the running event this weekend? The same with the British military offers available; nobody knew about them until a simple email prompted the RLWC13 team to actually push it...

It is fantastic news we've sold close to 50k for the opener and that already is a good crowd. But we shouldn't settle for it; we should continue to push and seek a sell out as the game deserves it. I do hope Scubby is right and it will be close to a sell out. But we really need to give ourselves the best chance of doing that and I think (as others do in the area), we are falling short...

Sadly for core RL fans, 3 weeks is an age until a game. We are lazy g*ts and often need a kick up the backside to get ourselves into gear. We support a game where we expect a bargain and believe we can roll up at the last minute and pay on the day (or take it or leave it).

I think the surge will come and the crowd will be great on the day.

#38 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

I think the surge will come and the crowd will be great on the day.

I truly hope so mate.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#39 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

I wouldn't class this as negativity as I believe everyone debating on this thread would state the promotion of this World Cup has been good. However, we are stating that we could do even better. There is no doubt that we are only a minor sport in the grand British sporting landscape with a limited budget but there are many ways that the organisers can be pushing the game in Cardiff, which is arguably the most important date in the whole competition. It seems to me from the reactions here of our welsh compatriots and the interaction I've personally had with the RLWC13 team that there is an expectation and reliance on the core support from the heartlands attending in great numbers. However, the press releases of just 30% (lets say around 15k) show they aren't turning up in great numbers and expecting them to do so in the next three weeks isn't going to materialise in my opinion if the opinions on a couple of traditional forums are indicators?!

Therefore concentrating a bit of exposure in Cardiff and the rest of South Wales would be the ideal solution but listening to JannerboyUK and PBC, this isn't happening (my contacts down there have no idea it is going on!). The organisers would sell thousands of tickets through the South Wales Schools system if they tried but it took me providing details for them to get involved in this area. What about promoting at the castle, at Cardiff City today or the running event this weekend? The same with the British military offers available; nobody knew about them until a simple email prompted the RLWC13 team to actually push it...

It is fantastic news we've sold close to 50k for the opener and that already is a good crowd. But we shouldn't settle for it; we should continue to push and seek a sell out as the game deserves it. I do hope Scubby is right and it will be close to a sell out. But we really need to give ourselves the best chance of doing that and I think (as others do in the area), we are falling short...

the thing is though that a lot of marketing is targeted and not seen. Despite apparently no effort from Cardiff we will have a larger crowd than any heartland test for years - and there are still three weeks to go.

The opener has been pushed heavily recently but I think sometimes unless people see something on TV they assume nothing is happening.

#40 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

the thing is though that a lot of marketing is targeted and not seen. Despite apparently no effort from Cardiff we will have a larger crowd than any heartland test for years - and there are still three weeks to go.

The opener has been pushed heavily recently but I think sometimes unless people see something on TV they assume nothing is happening.

nobody has mentioned tv, it's all about what's on the ground in the Cardiff region. Just disappointed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users