Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wigan v Sydney Roosters

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 936 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Know its early,but where will the World Club Challenge going to be next year?

#2 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

Know its early,but where will the World Club Challenge going to be next year?

Down under, isn't it? I'm sure I heard something about it being played in Perth.

#3 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

Got to say even though I'm a saints fan if it is held down under I can't wait and I'll be shouting for Wigan.

#4 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'm sure it was mentioned in last night's GF commentary as being at the DW stadium (when it was certain Wigan were going to win)

#5 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

I'm sure it was mentioned in last night's GF commentary as being at the DW stadium (when it was certain Wigan were going to win)

If that's the case then I would be disappointed, the Aussies likely think it wouldn't sell to the Australian public like it does in the UK.

#6 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Down under, isn't it? I'm sure I heard something about it being played in Perth.

I think it largely depended on who won. Melbourne wanted to stage it at their home ground, and Souths reportedly wanted to play it in Perth. Not heard anything about what the Roosters would do, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

#7 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

Thanks a bunch for the spoiler, I haven't seen the NRL GF yet! I have been too busy browsing around RL message boards trying to avoid the result.

#8 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

I think it largely depended on who won. Melbourne wanted to stage it at their home ground, and Souths reportedly wanted to play it in Perth. Not heard anything about what the Roosters would do, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The problem is Roosters small fan base and the fact that they are not a team who thousands of neutrals are going to follow (especially in February). The DW makes sense this time or a non-Sydney venue (e.g. Perth, Wellington, Hong Kong etc.)

#9 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

I sincerely hope DP has watched the games. This thread could go on for days.

#10 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

The problem is Roosters small fan base and the fact that they are not a team who thousands of neutrals are going to follow (especially in February). The DW makes sense this time or a non-Sydney venue (e.g. Perth, Wellington, Hong Kong etc.)

Not sure about their supposed small fan base - they averaged over 19000 this year.

#11 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Thanks a bunch for the spoiler, I haven't seen the NRL GF yet! I have been too busy browsing around RL message boards trying to avoid the result.

Not being funny Scubby but if it was that important why even try coming on a RL forum into you did.

#12 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Not being funny Scubby but if it was that important why even try coming on a RL forum into you did.

whoooooosh! Bit of an in-joke mate.

#13 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

Hopefully it's in Sydney would be a great occasion but can see it just been played at dw which would be a shame

#14 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Good one :D

It's time to park the camels.

#15 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Not sure about their supposed small fan base - they averaged over 19000 this year.

Believe me, they have a small fan base. I have seen a lot of the Roosters this year and while they have had a few high profile crowds - like SBW's first game - the have one of the smallest core supports in the NRL. At times last year it was pretty much spot the fan (and on a few occasions in 2013).

Edited by Scubby, 06 October 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#16 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

Believe me, they have a small fan base. I have seen a lot of the Roosters this year and while they have had a few high profile crowds - like SBW's first game - the have one of the smallest core supports in the NRL. At times last year it was pretty much spot the fan (and on a few occasions in 2013).

Aren't they like the Monaco of the NRL? With wealthy backers and sponsors but a small fan base.

#17 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

If that's the case then I would be disappointed, the Aussies likely think it wouldn't sell to the Australian public like it does in the UK.

They managed to get over 40k at Brisbane for the Indigenous (sp?) All Stars v NRL game back in February, so I can't see why they couldn't sell the WCC to the Sydney public with some decent advertising.

#18 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

whoooooosh! Bit of an in-joke mate.

Aaaahhhh : /

#19 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

Expect it'll be at the DW, and should be a cracking night. Much as I'd love it to be in Oz, think we're several years away from the Aussies really getting how important international competition is.

#20 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

i expect the roosters to man up and host the game at the SFS...

don't forget the NRL clubs have the NRL 9's starting next feb....can't see the roosters wanting to travel to england too

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users