TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

What next for Warrington?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

Although I think this was warrington's best chance for them lifting the super league trophy I don't believe that their chance has been and gone and I would expect them to be there or thereabouts again next season. The loss of Tomkins, mossop and Richards for wigan will be a far greater loss than Hodgson and Morley for the wire and with the likes of saints going through a transitional period, Wigan to a lesser degree with the likes of Hampshire, Powell, Williams, burgess etc looking to fill the gaps left I still think that the core players of ratchford, Monaghan, Westwood, briers etc will see them finishing in the top 2 next year. The only worry I have for Warrington in the long term is the quantity of young players produced by their academy as it still lags behind that of Wigan, Leeds and saints.

#2 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

What next for Wire?

The same as the rest of the SL teams as they all step aside and make way for the resurgence of the mighty Hull FC.

Next year WILL be our year.

(I'm off for a lie down now.)

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#3 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

I've heard it said that maybe Tony Smith took them as far as he could but Wire could and probably should have won last night. Wigan got on the front foot and never looked back but had Wire got the rub of the green at 16-2 and maybe scored again, I've little doubt that they would have won.

They'll still be around next year, no doubt about it.

#4 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Saints will be top 3 next year, Wire will also be up there in my opinion. Not sure who the 3rd club will be; Wigan, Leeds or an outsider like Hull FC.

Not convinced that this wasn't their best chance though!

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#5 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Just go again next year. Much to learn from two Grand Final losses, but Smith is a smart enough coach to know that there are lessons to be learned both by him and the players.

Should make next season even more interesting.

#6 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

They start next year with no points like the rest of us. 

Warrington are a fine side who lost a play-off final in which they suffered some unlucky injury losses during the game, and even then if [big word, I know] that charge-down at 16 - 6 had gone to a Warrington hand I think they would have probably won. They'll lick their wounds and come back stronger is what will happen.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#7 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

Saints will be top 3 next year, Wire will also be up there in my opinion. Not sure who the 3rd club will be; Wigan, Leeds or an outsider like Hull FC.

I'm a saints fan and can see us massively improving but I can't see us finishing in the top 3. Warrington, Huddersfield and Wigan in no particular order for me.

#8 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

I honestly believe Warrington need to move on from Lee Briers, he has been a fantastic player for a long time and is still their go to man.

But with Briers pulling the strings,  Richard Myler sits back and does very little, i don't know what it is with him but he isn't a teenager anymore, he needs to start taking control and getting dirty.

He still has his career in front of him but i am not sure he will make the step up until briers retires.

Next season Gareth O'Brien will push hard for some game time and Ratchford can play in the halves, they will still be a force next season.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#9 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

They start next year with no points like the rest of us. 

Warrington are a fine side who lost a play-off final in which they suffered some unlucky injury losses during the game, and even then if [big word, I know] that charge-down at 16 - 6 had gone to a Warrington hand I think they would have probably won. They'll lick their wounds and come back stronger is what will happen.

I agree, stefan ratchford is going to be key for Warrington next year and I have to admit just like with Ben Westwood I didn't see all the fuss about but I'm now a huge fan of his. he just needs a settled position to make his own, be it fullback or stand off.

#10 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Agreed, as I said in the match thread I don't think they'll get many better opportunities than last night. 

They should compete for trophies on all fronts again next year, but due to Briers' age I think their chances will start to wane after that. Perhaps I'm placing too much importance on him, and I do rate the youngsters (Ratchford, Myler and O'Brien) very highly, I guess it's just because he's still so important to them that I struggle to visualise them being as good without him.

#11 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

I am sure that they will be favourites going into the vast majority of games they play, and fancied to win the lot again next year.

#12 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,380 posts

I'm a saints fan and can see us massively improving but I can't see us finishing in the top 3. Warrington, Huddersfield and Wigan in no particular order for me.

We finished 5th, massively improving would be top 3 surely. Moving up 1 place to 4th isn't a 'massive improvement' surely.

Not sure on Huddersfield or Wigan to be honest, wouldn't be massively surprised to see them finish anywhere between 1st and 6th

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#13 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

I am sure that they will be favourites going into the vast majority of games they play, and fancied to win the lot again next year.

How does the song go?

'It's always your year, it's always your year, just like the last time, it's always your year....'

#14 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

We finished 5th, massively improving would be top 3 surely. Moving up 1 place to 4th isn't a 'massive improvement' surely.

Not sure on Huddersfield or Wigan to be honest, wouldn't be massively surprised to see them finish anywhere between 1st and 6th

6th?
Wow!

#15 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

First of all congratulations to 2 both teams last night putting on such a fantastic game.

As for what next, I was struck by the ages of the 2 teams last night when reading through the players profiles. Wigan still have O'Loughlin but apart from that the rest pretty much seem to be on the right side of 30. With Richards going the average age will drop again and I think it was already about 24.

As for Warrington I was surprised at how old they all are and a player under 30 was an exception.

I hope they can step up next year but unless they have some good youngsters ready to make the transition to the 1st team sooner rather than later I think they'll struggle.

Wigan however already have players ready to step up that have had a taste this year and I think can view the future with a bit more confidence than Wire. That will will now just add to that feeling.

#16 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

6th?
Wow!

If Hull FC improve then you will have potentially strong Saints, Wire, Wigan, Hudds, Hull FC & Leeds

Not sure I could predict accurately how the loss of key star, international players in your case or the disappointing end to the season in Hudds case will affect next year

Edited by nec, 06 October 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#17 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

6th?
Wow!

Between 1st and 6th, by which I assume NEC means you'll be a bit of an unknown quantity. I think that's fair enough at this point given the changes. 

#18 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

Massive improvement on the pitch in terms of players and consistency.

#19 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Wigan should have put Wire away early, if it wasn't for Goulding have tripsy fingers they would have been ahead at half time so it was surprise to see Wigan win. Young legs v old heads in that intensity was always going to be a challenge for Wire.

Same top 4 next year, with perhaps Saints swapping for Leeds as they seem to be where Saints are this year, rebuilding, bringing through the next crop of stars. Wire are having a clear out and about time too. Hull need a couple of seasons. KR as well, and more investment. Saints on the up again, Giants more grunt up front so more options, need a new half back though. Wigan are in the driving seat again, I don't expect any recruitment there at all after they got Bowen.

#20 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Warrington will be fine - no reason for anyone to overreact to one disappointing loss. All teams have them, it was just unfortunate for Warrington that it happened on the wrong day, with a couple of unfortunate injuries not helping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users