Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What next for Warrington?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

First of all congratulations to 2 both teams last night putting on such a fantastic game.
As for what next, I was struck by the ages of the 2 teams last night when reading through the players profiles. Wigan still have O'Loughlin but apart from that the rest pretty much seem to be on the right side of 30. With Richards going the average age will drop again and I think it was already about 24.
As for Warrington I was surprised at how old they all are and a player under 30 was an exception.
I hope they can step up next year but unless they have some good youngsters ready to make the transition to the 1st team sooner rather than later I think they'll struggle.
Wigan however already have players ready to step up that have had a taste this year and I think can view the future with a bit more confidence than Wire. That will will now just add to that feeling.

Pains me to say it but with the quality of youngsters coming through the ranks at Wigan they are going to be winning a lot more challenge cups and grand finals in the coming years.

#22 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Wigan should have put Wire away early, if it wasn't for Goulding have tripsy fingers they would have been ahead at half time so it was surprise to see Wigan win. Young legs v old heads in that intensity was always going to be a challenge for Wire.

Same top 4 next year, with perhaps Saints swapping for Leeds as they seem to be where Saints are this year, rebuilding, bringing through the next crop of stars. Wire are having a clear out and about time too. Hull need a couple of seasons. KR as well, and more investment. Saints on the up again, Giants more grunt up front so more options, need a new half back though. Wigan are in the driving seat again, I don't expect any recruitment there at all after they got Bowen.

I agree but with saints struggling at stand off I can see Leeds edging saints out of the top 4, if only Gary wheeler could stay injury free thinks might be different.

#23 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

Warrington will be fine - no reason for anyone to overreact to one disappointing loss. All teams have them, it was just unfortunate for Warrington that it happened on the wrong day, with a couple of unfortunate injuries not helping.

Short term yes but can Warrington keep buying players or with the likes of cashed up Salford attract players instead of producing their own? Apart from Ben currie I'm struggling to name any quality youngsters coming through at Warrington, Rhys Evans and Gareth o'brien maybe.

#24 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

Currie was signed from Wigan, by the way. Wonder if he's having second thoughts...

#25 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

Note as a reminder, Warrington actually won the under 21's last year..... So we do have youngsters coming through.

As to what next...... Same as usual, but must try harder!!

Briers needs to retire...... Not knee jerk reaction

#26 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,428 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

I fear that Warrington won't loan us Ben Evans for another season. 

He's made a sterling contribution for the Bulls this season and would, in my opinion, have performed at least as well as any of the Warrington props that turned out last night.

He's not a great basher, but he's a tackling machine and works his socks off.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#27 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

Note as a reminder, Warrington actually won the under 21's last year..... So we do have youngsters coming through.

As to what next...... Same as usual, but must try harder!!

Briers needs to retire...... Not knee jerk reaction

Warrington may have the youngsters but they aren't coming through are they?  Otherwise surely some of them would have been played during the season.  The only Warrington academy player I can think of who has a spot in the first team is Riley.  Who else is there?

#28 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

6th?
Wow!

Nah. Wigan will finish higher than that.

#29 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Warrington will be fine still got bags of quality and experience in the squad, yes on paper may be weaker but they'll certainly be up there and be in the big games, Time for some of the young players to be given an oppitunity now

#30 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Asotosi for Morley, Ben currie will be a star next year(the best teenage forward in the NH) Rhys evans will push out Bridge, Obrien to retire Briers eventually.

G Riley is a good prospect and Penny? a better bet than Williams and if he has developed the rest of his game then we all know he can finish. Smith is no fool and money is never a problem so we should still be a force, trophies depend on lots of luck at the right time(injuries,form etc).

#31 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Asotosi for Morley, Ben currie will be a star next year(the best teenage forward in the NH) Rhys evans will push out Bridge, Obrien to retire Briers eventually.
G Riley is a good prospect and Penny? a better bet than Williams and if he has developed the rest of his game then we all know he can finish. Smith is no fool and money is never a problem so we should still be a force, trophies depend on lots of luck at the right time(injuries,form etc).

Ben currie is quality, Rhys Evans looked a great prospect when he broke into the team 2 years ago I think and I really hope Kevin penny has improved his positional play and defence because his speed and finishing was amazing, always rember the tries he scored against saints in the challenge cup.

#32 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

They start next year with no points like the rest of us.

Warrington are a fine side who lost a play-off final in which they suffered some unlucky injury losses during the game, and even then if [big word, I know] that charge-down at 16 - 6 had gone to a Warrington hand I think they would have probably won. They'll lick their wounds and come back stronger is what will happen.

That charge down was one of the most nieve plays I've seen. Wigan were kicking from just outside their twenty, wire would have had a first tackle on their thirty and should have spoiled more pressure.

If they had be 16-6 down with 15 mins left then the charge down would have been on.

#33 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

Warrington may have the youngsters but they aren't coming through are they?  Otherwise surely some of them would have been played during the season.  The only Warrington academy player I can think of who has a spot in the first team is Riley.  Who else is there?

Cooper, wood, Riley

There's a few lads coming through with more to follow.

On the plus side, we only had two overseas yesterday , we used to get slated.

#34 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

I fear that Warrington won't loan us Ben Evans for another season. 

He's made a sterling contribution for the Bulls this season and would, in my opinion, have performed at least as well as any of the Warrington props that turned out last night.

He's not a great basher, but he's a tackling machine and works his socks off.

They already have, to the best of my knowledge the deal is done.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#35 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

academy players who have played this year in super league
Wood, C Riley, G riley, M Cooper, R Williams, G Obrien, R Evans, D Bridge, J Laithwaite, B Currie
T Mccarthy, B Dwyer, B Harrison.
12 players out of a 28 man squad
2 others on loan at the Bulls
3 others signed as teenagers C Bridge, S Grix Myler
ONLY four overseas players.
Can't wait till we start producing academy products

#36 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

warrington do need abit of a rebuild,not massive,just shift out the oldies...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#37 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

warrington do need abit of a rebuild,not massive,just shift out the oldies...

Carvell, Hodgson and Morley over hundred years being moved on.

#38 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

Ratchford
Monaghan
Evans
Atkins
Riley
Briers
Myler
Hill
Higham
Wood
Waterhouse
Westwood
Currie

Asotasi
Monaghan
Grix
Harrison

Still looks a very strong lineup to me

#39 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

Ratchford
Monaghan
Evans
Atkins
Riley
Briers
Myler
Hill
Higham
Wood
Waterhouse
Westwood
Currie
Asotasi
Monaghan
Grix
Harrison
Still looks a very strong lineup to me

Very strong, you think Ben currie will be first choice?

#40 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Warrington will be fine - no reason for anyone to overreact to one disappointing loss. All teams have them, it was just unfortunate for Warrington that it happened on the wrong day, with a couple of unfortunate injuries not helping.

Well said, although Wigan did blow some good chances before the injuries.