Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sonny Bill Williams (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

According to reports down under $BW has played his last rugby league game today and will head back to NZRU, he will also be attending to his boxing commitments, whatever that means. Can't say I'm that surprised.

#2 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

It would be a real pity if he didn't play in the world cup. I must be honest I wasn't particularly happy to see him return to the NRL and thought that the Roosters were daft for signing him. Quite the opposite has proved to be true, he's been sensational for them all season and whatever people might think about some of the decisions he's made I think that he's proved beyond any doubt that he's one of the greatest players in the world in either code of rugby (though my knowledge of Union players is limited). I want to see him light up the world cup, but if he switches codes again then I'll have no complaints this time, he's fulfilled his contract and I think he's given the game everything he's got this season.  

Edited by MrFussy, 06 October 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#3 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

Could have been good publicity for the world cup but it looks like he's chose not to represent his country at the rugby league world cup, good news for England.

#4 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

I think i read that Super Rugby team have to have their squads finalised by the end of the month so he may not have the option of playing in the world cup if he wants go back to RU.

I wonder if there would be a better chance oh him staying if he'd lost the grand final

#5 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

"Unlikely" events have eventuated in the past but it does appear that SBW being involved in the 2013 RLWC is, er, unlikely. Extremely unlikely!

Edit: If he's not involved, it's probably undesirable for the 'tournament' but good for England.

Edited by faz'_nose, 06 October 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#6 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

This is how I see it; it's a shame for the WC as we need the best players on the field to help promote the comp. This is now two of the biggest profile players not anticipating, SBW and Benji Marshall. However on the flip side it probably gives England a better chance of winning and further upsets against NZ now more likely.

SBW has obviously been influential for Roosters this year, however this morning (apart from his two big 2nd half plays) he made lots of early mistakes, falling off tackles and knock ons. He was probably the worst player in that 1st half.

He is one of the biggest mercenaries this sport has ever seen. Drifting in and out, seemingly without a care for the sport itself and fans alike (although that's his prerogative). Arguably his biggest desire is to raise his bank balance and satisfy his ever growing ego. Possibly the exact opposite to Darren Lockyer, who served the game so well. Rant over.

#7 Gosman

Gosman
  • Coach
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

A bit harsh on SBW there. If he was purely doing it for money it is unlikely he would go to NZ Rugby Union as he would make more in Europe.

#8 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:16 AM

That would depend on what he is actually getting paid.

Wouldn't put nothing past that roosters mob, they've been known to cook the books.

#9 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:54 AM

I stated some months ago that William's would not be in the Kiwi team.The guy thinks he is too big for the game.

#10 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:46 AM

I stated some months ago that William's would not be in the Kiwi team.The guy thinks he is too big for the game.

I did notice yesterday that he refused to take a sponsor's ball onto the podium during the presentation; everybody else seemed to do so...

Edited by GeordieSaint, 07 October 2013 - 06:47 AM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,618 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

He had a pretty good season overall and the Roosters will be pleased I'm sure. But I don't see the team falling apart without him, he's not *that* good, or at least isn't trying that hard anymore.

Either way, it's his choice and nobody is bigger than the game.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#12 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

I think the sponsors ball was an alcohol promotion - SBW is a Muslim so I suppose it was a conscience call. Given that the cricketer was recently given permission to play without a sponsors logo on his one day strip I doubt it'll cause a stir.

In fact the players were probably not even consulted about it - just handed them before getting on the podium.
www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

#13 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

Mercenary is too harsh, he's a supreme athlete trying to make the most of his talents in a relatively short career, if he wants to try his hand at several sports then so what? He'll be a long time retired and I applaud all the hard work he's put in to be a success at so many different disciplines. Sure he's done well financially, but which of us would turn it down, at least when he does retire he can look in the mirror and think to himself he did everything he could with the talent he had, something not all of us can, myself included. No regrets...

#14 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

would be a shame if he didn't play in the WC, but if he is going back to union id rather he didn't play for the kiwi's, and to be honest im not sure Kearney would have picked him if he knew he was going back.

SBW had a slow start to the season, as you'd expect, but think he's been great for the Roosters this year (channel 9 certainly love him also), he had a poor first half of the GF but played a big part in that Roosters come back.

We want the best players to stay in the game, but if he thinks his future is back in union, so be it. He's not irreplaceable, and id suggest him leaving the first time was a bigger loss than it is now.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#15 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

Mercenary is too harsh, he's a supreme athlete trying to make the most of his talents in a relatively short career, if he wants to try his hand at several sports then so what? 

He's a mercenary. It's a spot on comment.

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,765 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

There have been other players who have switched codes and sometimes switched back, but it was the manner of his departure from Canterbury that really left a nasty taste.

Remember, Mark Gasnier went to RU around the same time, but he conducted himself honourably and was wished all the best by most people.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#17 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

What's his playing record for the Kiwis. Has he ever won a Test?

They did OK without him in 2008, didn't they?

Hope we don't hear much more about him over the next couple of months.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#18 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

I take it all back Larry, with that cojent argument backed up with intelligent discussion you've convinced me....

#19 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

I take it all back Larry, with that cojent argument backed up with intelligent discussion you've convinced me....

Great stuff. Thanks for dropping by.

#20 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

More of the same eh? Can you not make your point backed up rather than just like a child, he's a mercenary, end of.....?

Seems a reasonable request

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users