Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sonny Bill Williams (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#21 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

More of the same eh? Can you not make your point backed up rather than just like a child, he's a mercenary, end of.....?

Seems a reasonable request

Southerner has covered the point of nicely.  

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#22 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

A bit harsh on SBW there. If he was purely doing it for money it is unlikely he would go to NZ Rugby Union as he would make more in Europe.

I suppose it depends how much he wants to play in the World Cup and the approach of the NZRU and how much they are prepared to pay him.

He may have another spell playing in Europe but there are obvious drawbacks in playing RL & RU most of the year.

SBW seems to like setting himself challenges and he doesn't seem to aspire to a conventional rugby career path.

#23 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

That would depend on what he is actually getting paid.

Wouldn't put nothing past that roosters mob, they've been known to cook the books.

The Chooks cook the books? Fowl play indeed. (Second one of the day.)

#24 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

I think we could have marketed him, but always thought it would be astonishing for him to associate his brand with the Kiwis' World Cup, given the inherent risks.

#25 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

SBW is a professional sportsman talented enough to excel at the highest level at RL and RU, played in Oz and France, won trophies, become NZ Heavyweight boxing champion, why stick to one sport?

#26 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

This is how I see it; it's a shame for the WC as we need the best players on the field to help promote the comp. This is now two of the biggest profile players not anticipating, SBW and Benji Marshall. However on the flip side it probably gives England a better chance of winning and further upsets against NZ now more likely.

SBW has obviously been influential for Roosters this year, however this morning (apart from his two big 2nd half plays) he made lots of early mistakes, falling off tackles and knock ons. He was probably the worst player in that 1st half.

He is one of the biggest mercenaries this sport has ever seen. Drifting in and out, seemingly without a care for the sport itself and fans alike (although that's his prerogative). Arguably his biggest desire is to raise his bank balance and satisfy his ever growing ego. Possibly the exact opposite to Darren Lockyer, who served the game so well. Rant over.

Obviously I don't know SBW and I can't say how he thinks or feels, but I reckon you're being harsh there Southener. I was appalled at what he did to Canterbury but given the situation he was faced with I can see why he did it, even if the way he went about it was regrettable. We also have to consider that he rejected what was reportedly an enormous contract offer from Toulon in order to sign with the Crusaders so that he could pursue an international career with the All Blacks. Surely that's more the action of an ambitious sportsman than it is a mercenary? I don't believe that he doesn't care about Rugby League and its fans, there's been no indication that there's a problem with his commitment or attitude this year, far from it. Since the Roosters' victory I'm sure I read that he's acknowledged that League will be fine with or without him, which suggests that he's not egotistical enough to believe that he's bigger than the game despite the desperation for him to stay. I get the impression that he respects and enjoys the sport, but that he also feels the same way about Union and boxing.

I wasn't happy with how he left the Bulldogs, nor with his return to the Roosters, but over the course of the season the level of animosity which I felt towards him has faded. If that was his last year in the great game of Rugby League then it was certainly a good one.

If he's ever dismissive of League in the future then I doubt I'll have any quibbles about reverting to my previous opinion of him, but as things stand I wish him well.  

Edited by MrFussy, 07 October 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#27 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

The best athlete in either code that's allowed him to be successfull were ever hes been including boxing. Huge shame he won't be playing World Cup and rugby league nxt year but hopefully he'll be back 1 day

#28 MamaKangaroo

MamaKangaroo
  • Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

I did notice yesterday that he refused to take a sponsor's ball onto the podium during the presentation; everybody else seemed to do so...

On the flip side, he made the biggest fuss out of all the plyers of the little girl on the podium. The amount who just walked past her was shocking!

#29 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

On the flip side, he made the biggest fuss out of all the plyers of the little girl on the podium. The amount who just walked past her was shocking!

I noticed that too, I like the way he hardly speaks on the field, if he does a big hit or takes one he doesn't flinch or ever contest decisions,
He left Toulon to go back to NZ and took almost a 50 percent pay cut so he could play for the all blacks,

#30 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

I'm glad you mentioned that because I wondered if I was being too sensitive, but I found it really infuriating to see so many of them seemingly not even acknowledging her. What the heck is wrong with them? Good on Sonny for that, it's a pity he was the last one on (I think?) because a lot of them could have done with following his example.

#31 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

And don't forget if a player is not good enough or gets injured he's released ASAP. Clubs show little loyalty to players. The only loyal people are the fans.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 07 October 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#32 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

Plenty other people have covered my point nicely too, I was after your opinion

Anyway....

#33 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

I think it's a sad indictment of how important our World Cup is if he chooses not to partake

#34 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

I think it's a sad indictment of how important our World Cup is if he chooses not to partake

I think it's a sad indictment of SBW that he chooses not to partake.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#35 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Why is it? Perhaps he wants to do something else?

#36 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

He probably does, which shows how low our World Cup rates in his priorities. That is a sad indictment

Terrywebb, i have to agree with you

#37 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

Plenty other people have covered my point nicely too, I was after your opinion

Anyway....

My opinion is probably not a popular one. I don't believe that any player can play our game in their formative years, get given very healthy professional contracts and fancy anything else, except for money, as the game is so fantastic to play and be a part of. It's fierce, it's fast, it's a brotherhood.

Why would any player not want to be a part of it?

It's not like SBW would have been on tax credits in his next contract is it?
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#38 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

Ok let's put this another way; it's the equivalent of me or you working for a company who pays for us to go on a course and gain a qualification, to then decide to leave that company (League) for their fiercest competitor (Union) simply for selfish reasons.

He has a chance of putting on the NZ shirt to play in a World Cup for his country and his people. An amazing honour one could have to represent your country on the world stage. However it seems he's decided for selfish reasons to decline that opportunity.

#39 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

I admire your loyalty to the greatest game, but we're all individuals, if he wants to box or play yawnion, who are we to argue, if we were all the same the world would be a dull place.

It's a shame we've missed his talent while he's been away, and maybe he's missed out on playing our great game too, I really don't think he's done any of these things solely for the money, he's achieved as much as he can and gained life experiences we can only dream of, I say fair play to him, I'm sure he can sleep soundly in his bed, loyalty only takes you so far, sometimes in life you have to do what's best for yourself, even if it upsets people

#40 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

He probably does, which shows how low our World Cup rates in his priorities. That is a sad indictment

Terrywebb, i have to agree with you

Me to. Put anyway, this absolutely does display a snub to R/L and provocatively, even moreso to R/L in New Zealand.

He quite plainly did not let cash stand in the way of playing for the 'all blacks' yet he plainly feels no remorse and, offers only an offencive and blatant 'sod-off?' to New Zealand R/L.
He got his breaks with and through R/L initially but does (well it seems so to me) consider R/L as an inferior aspect to the other sports he excelled within.