Sonny Bill Williams (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#41 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

I admire your loyalty to the greatest game, but we're all individuals, if he wants to box or play yawnion, who are we to argue, if we were all the same the world would be a dull place.

"wants to play union" ? Do me a favour. It's dour.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#42 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

He probably does, which shows how low our World Cup rates in his priorities. That is a sad indictment

Terrywebb, i have to agree with you

It means that he is not bothered about it, or at least not enough to play in it. That's all, it's not as if it is a huge surprise is it?

#43 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

Ok let's put this another way; it's the equivalent of me or you working for a company who pays for us to go on a course and gain a qualification, to then decide to leave that company (League) for their fiercest competitor (Union) simply for selfish reasons.

He has a chance of putting on the NZ shirt to play in a World Cup for his country and his people. An amazing honour one could have to represent your country on the world stage. However it seems he's decided for selfish reasons to decline that opportunity.

Correct but that's the reality of modern life.

I would have liked him to play but he clearly is scared to. His choice and I aren't going to lose sleep over it.

#44 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

Not a huge surprise that he's turned it down, given that he is quite egotistical and only concerned about himself. That said, he is a wonderful talent, well known and marketable and it is disappointing that he won't be playing. And it is sad that boxing or regional rugby union rates higher on his priority list than the chance to represent his country in defending the Rugby League World Cup.

The saddest thing though for me is this just highlights how small and irrelevant our World Cup still is and how much of a challenge there is to gain recognition let alone credibility on the international stage, when one of the world's best players isn't bothered about playing in it.

#45 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

Correct but that's the reality of modern life.

I would have liked him to play but he clearly is scared to. His choice and I aren't going to lose sleep over it.

Scared? I would hardly say that. In fact that is the last word i would use to describe him. As much as i don't like him, he is extremely brave to have gone and ventured in unknown territory of boxing and throw himself and his reputation on the line when he could have taken the easy option of staying in rugby union. Also, his wish to come back to league (whilst predominantly determined by $) was brave considering the cloud in which he left and the fact that a number of people were looking to target him when he came back to NRL

#46 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

Scared? I would hardly say that. In fact that is the last word i would use to describe him. As much as i don't like him, he is extremely brave to have gone and ventured in unknown territory of boxing and throw himself and his reputation on the line when he could have taken the easy option of staying in rugby union. Also, his wish to come back to league (whilst predominantly determined by $) was brave considering the cloud in which he left and the fact that a number of people were looking to target him when he came back to NRL

I don't mean scared as in nervous but scared of being shown up.

#47 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

I don't mean scared as in nervous but scared of being shown up.

If he was scared of being shown up, he wouldn't have come back to league from union, especially under the cloud he left? There was so conjecture down under over the winter when he was coming back that everyone was going to target him. He coped with it admirably and has had a stellar season. I see no reason why he would be scared of competing in the World Cup

#48 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

I don't think he had a stellar season, just not bad.

#49 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

I don't think he had a stellar season, just not bad.

That's a mute point, he would still have walked into the NZ squad and would have been an asset marketing the World Cup

#50 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:22 PM

No issue with it - he was a mercenary when he left the Doggies, he was a mercenary when he came back to the Roosters. I don't know why anyone is surprised - at least he fulfilled his contract this time.

#51 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

That's a mute point, he would still have walked into the NZ squad and would have been an asset marketing the World Cup

I don't disagree but he's gone and that's that.

#52 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

The saddest thing though for me is this just highlights how small and irrelevant our World Cup still is and how much of a challenge there is to gain recognition let alone credibility on the international stage, when one of the world's best players isn't bothered about playing in it.

I have no idea how you make that connection.  This is the second time he's left league.  He's only been back a couple of seasons hasn't he?  He goes where he can make most money and love himself most.

At least with him gone our Burgess boys should be able to hog the limelight!

#53 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

I think it speaks loud and clear. ;)

#54 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

I have no idea how you make that connection.  This is the second time he's left league.  He's only been back a couple of seasons hasn't he?  He goes where he can make most money and love himself most.

At least with him gone our Burgess boys should be able to hog the limelight!

2013 was his first season back playing RL.

If SBW was motivated purely by money surely he would have stayed at Toulon, although episodes such as his short stint in Japan, suggest he's not averse to a quick buck.

He hasn't got many years left as a player now, so it will be interesting to see where he jumps.

#55 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

Larry I agree with you, we're league fans and like most of us I'm sure I can't understand why anyone would watch that sport ahead of ours, that's a whole other conversation, but just because you or I don't like watching it, or playing it, doesn't mean SBW doesn't, it gave him the chance to travel, play in France and for various other teams, and probably the greatest attraction for him, he played for NZ in the 2011 World Cup. As we sadly know unions international set up is far better than our own, so if that's part of his reason then again I don't blame him.

#56 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:03 AM

As we sadly know unions international set up is far better than our own, so if that's part of his reason then again I don't blame him.

It's not better. It's better funded. Try watching it, it's gash. I'd much rather watch an u11s league game than that rubbish.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 08 October 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#57 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Rumour is he's now availible - no thanks pal.

#58 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

If he wants to go play union then so be it, as good a player as he is i don't think it will be that much of a loss to the game. Personally i don' think many countries in RL put that much emphasis on the honour of playing for your country. So its hardly surprising when players act like this and don't seem that bothered.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#59 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 828 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

Don't think he is available unless he has changed his mind in the last 8hours.

Sonny Bill Williams @SonnyBWilliams 8h

Wishing the kiwis all the best in their title defence, having my first break since 2008. Looking forward to spending time with fam n friends.

The reports are that he has changed his mind

http://www.smh.com.a...d=1381217067297

Edited by flyingking, 08 October 2013 - 08:25 AM.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#60 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

I said the set up was better, not the actual game itself. You can't let your hatred of rugby union cloud your judgement of what a professional sportsman wants to do with his career

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users