RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

D-Day This Week

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

Just finished listening to the audio of the Fans forum,thanks Roger for that.Sounds like we will finally know all the new league set up for 2015.Hope it goes the way Mark is hopeful it will,because maybe we can look forward to exciting times for is Rams fans.Sponsors can be announced,get both sides behind the posts sorted.Lets make sure we are in the mix when 2015 comes around and we can live the dream.

Edited by andyram, 06 October 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#2 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

Sounds as thought the meeting planned for tomorrow has been canceled,looks like a few Super League clubs are not happy with what's on the table for them.This delay will put things back for the rams about announcing the new club sponsors if this is true.

#3 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,530 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Sounds as thought the meeting planned for tomorrow has been canceled,looks like a few Super League clubs are not happy with what's on the table for them.This delay will put things back for the rams about announcing the new club sponsors if this is true.

It will be a long delay too, probably until the RLWC has finished.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#4 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

It would appear that, the Wigan chairman was not happy with changes to funding and called on like minded SL clubs to a meeting and seven turned up, They have now decided the new arrangements are not the best for their clubs. With that in mind the RFL has to postpone the EGM until after the World Cup and to concentrate on that competition.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#5 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

And the seven who turned was???

Guessing at Wigan, Warrington,st Helens,Leeds,hull,Widnes,Salford?

Pure guess work?

#6 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

Could have a knock on effect in our division if it does'nt come off affecting some teams that may have overstretched their playing budget in the hope of naking SL2 and Jam tomorrow?

Can you take a guess who they might be Coolie?

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#7 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

Think the game is in a sorry state really
Fantastic product overseen by complete idiots, money men closing in wanting an even bigger slice of the cake.
Personally I'd let super league go on their own little quest into oblivion.
Restructure the championship into one division dropping teams from outside the M62 corridor into a national league,switch back to winter rugby and sort a deal out with BT for tv coverage,let Yorkshire tv produce a magazine show for a midweek night showing highlights from the week before and features on the weekend games to come, each club running a supporters bus where supports pay a charge for the bus and the home team gives 56 tickets for a fiver each to the supporters bus.. You have to be a season ticket holder to use the bus... This would encourage away support traveling... Times are hard for everybody... But if we all get on the same page,it would get easier

Edited by coolie, 08 October 2013 - 11:27 PM.

• Piggy's mate likes this

#8 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

Think the game is in a sorry state really
Fantastic product overseen by completei idiots, money men closing in wanting an even bigger slice of the cake.
Personally I'd let super league go on their own little quest into oblivion.
Restructure the championship into one division dropping teams from outside the M62 corridor into a national league,switch back to winter rugby and sort a deal out with BT for tv coverage,let Yorkshire tv produce a magazine show for a midweek night showing highlights from the week before and features on the weekend games to come, each club running a supporters bus where supports pay a charge for the bus and the home team gives 56 tickets for a fiver each to the supporters bus.. You have to be a season ticket holder to use the bus... This would encourage away support traveling... Times are hard for everybody... But if we all get on the same page,it would get easier

Some great ideas here,sadly most clubs in our league would not break away to have our own league and tell the rugby league to stick it where the sun don't shine .

#9 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:11 AM

Andy the way it's going

They might not have a choice in breaking away... More been cast adrift by super league... That's the danger.

#10 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

Without promotion or relegation why would you pump serious money into a championship club?

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#11 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Without promotion or relegation why would you pump serious money into a championship club?

. That's the problem at the minute for us but like the superleague tossers give a toss .. If I was sawyer if tell Glenn to get rid of the dual reg with Bradford because I bet you now the bulls was one of the 7 rebels... As Gary heatherington called them yesterday! Shocked his club wasn't one of them

#12 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

You could argue, WITH promotion and relegation, why would you pump money into a SL club (like say Salford). Presumably this is why the proposed restructuring will fall flat on it's face - SL don't want change. They have, however, had all season to voice their concerns, and the RFL have had the same amount of time to explain to EVERYBODY what the restructure was going to entail - why wait until championship clubs have almost completed their preparations for 2014 ?. We now have a situation whereby some clubs will almost certainly have already over extended, and sponsorships secured by clubs will now be in danger of being withdrawn. MS admitted that the Rams directors had dipped into their own pockets to give the coach a fair chance of being able to compete - he must feel well and truly slapped in the face. The ramifications of this debacle will be far reaching I fear.

#13 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

It also does little to gain improved crowds for our league too as without promotion you can't play the best! Which is what fans want to see their team playing, the best teams week in week out

#14 Wilsden Ram

Wilsden Ram
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

Why are you surprised DTID that the Rhinos were not one of the Rebels?

The Headingley set-up is one of very few Clubs that actually make a Trading Profit.

Whether you like Heatherington or not at least he fronts a well run club, who are not
totally dependent on the Sky Hand-out.

#15 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

Why are you surprised DTID that the Rhinos were not one of the Rebels?

The Headingley set-up is one of very few Clubs that actually make a Trading Profit.

Whether you like Heatherington or not at least he fronts a well run club, who are not
totally dependent on the Sky Hand-out.

That is very true. Bradford are clearly one of the rebels though so why not get rid if our partnership with them ? They don't care about us , we're just a dumping ground to give their reserves a game to them

#16 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

Does seem strange as GOR says why wait till now to say they aren't happy. Ideally everything would be just about in place by now. I don't think there will be any break away leagues. I would guess some of the money for the top 4 championship clubs will be reduced to be added into a parachute payment for relegated SL clubs. Or we could see the whole thing kicked into the long grass and we just carry on as we are.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#17 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

The cynic would say that this is deliberate to knock Championship clubs off their stride giving an unfair advantage to SL clubs in the middle 8. Then the SL clubs can claim the format as a disaster.

#18 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,530 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

Some quite amusing points on here really.

What do you think the reaction of the SL clubs would be if the rest of RL threatened to form a separate organisation - throw up their hands in horror or rub them together with glee?

Without SL we don't have a product to sell (give?) to BT, ITV, BBC or anyone else.

Sky want to see expansion, but only to create more viewers and only in SL (or SL2).

ALL of the Sky money will go to the SL clubs with nothing, or at best a token, going to the RFL.

No sponsors would be interested in being associated with such a minority sport.

No "moneymen", even in Featherstone would put money into a club heading towards a dead-end.

The best players would quickly switch to RU, where they would get better money.

A breakaway by the Championship clubs would be an unmitigated disaster.

• Piggy's mate likes this
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#19 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

Short-term the SL would benefit, long term they would lose the Challenge cup and support from Championship fans for the GF and internationals would reduce.

Long term a breakaway from either side would be a disaster.

#20 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

Interesting read on the club website about mark sawyers reaction to all this!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users