Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

On-line broadcasting of World Cup?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

The BBC2 showing was definitely nationwide so presumably these days 'nationwide' means England only?  That would be my guess, if BBC Wales is an different entity (as opposed to simply being the BBC represented in Wales).

Perhaps I missed it as it was on at lunchtime.  I can't honestly say for sure. Still, RL gets less than minimal exposure in Wales so my campaign continues! 

#22 Town Globetrotter

Town Globetrotter
  • Coach
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:58 AM

I emailed Premier last week but I've had no reply from them.  Does anyone know whether they have form for ignoring emails or not?

The Premier Sports website has a handy table to confirm which sports, including a separate column for the RLWC 2013, will be broadcast in each country. The one issue the table confirms is that the RLWC will not be broadcast via Premier Player in the USA (refer to the link below and the link on the webpage "for a full list of what sports are available in your country"):

http://www.premierpl...be/new-customer

I have also noticed via the Fox Soccer Plus facebook page that they will not be broadcasting the RLWC in the USA; therefore the question is...who will be? (refer to the comments underneath the Wigan Grand Final photo):

https://www.facebook...cerplus?fref=ts

It would be scandalous not to at least allow the Premier Player to broadcast the RLWC in America; especially considering the US are playing in the tournament, plus the number of expats based in the country. I hope the RLWC operating committee swiftly agrees terms with a broadcast partner to air the RLWC in the USA; otherwise I'm going to have to rely on dodgy/poor quality streams.

#23 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

The Premier Sports website has a handy table to confirm which sports, including a separate column for the RLWC 2013, will be broadcast in each country. The one issue the table confirms is that the RLWC will not be broadcast via Premier Player in the USA (refer to the link below and the link on the webpage "for a full list of what sports are available in your country")

So, the countries it's not available in are:

Australia

New Zealand

Fiji

PNG

France

Canada

United States

India

Bangladesh

Pakistan

Algeria

Bahrain

Egypt

Georgia

Iran

Iraq

Isreal

Jordan

Kuwait

Lebanon

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Malaysia

Morocco

Oman

Qatar

Saudi Arabia

Singapore

Syrian Arab Republic
Tunisia
United Arab Emirates
Yemen

Australia and NZ have their own deals, which I assume covers Fiji and PNG. I also expect France has a deal with BeIn Sport (has that been confirmed?). This leaves the groups of North America, Indian subcontinent, MENA (not sure if India counts as MENA)

There's not much interest in RL in the subcontinent that I'm aware of, but there's a decent amount of support in North America  and MENA that I would hope that something is sorted out. Possibly Al Jazeera in MENA as they run BeIn Sports in France

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#24 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

The Premier Sports website has a handy table to confirm which sports, including a separate column for the RLWC 2013, will be broadcast in each country. The one issue the table confirms is that the RLWC will not be broadcast via Premier Player in the USA (refer to the link below and the link on the webpage "for a full list of what sports are available in your country"):

Yes I have seen that, and it looks okay but I have a slight niggle in that I'll subscribe in the UK and watch abroad.  Regrettably I have a couple of tour dates in France (with my band) during the World cup so it may be that I watch those game via other methods.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#25 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

There must be a reason those countries are blocked specifically for the RLWC,

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,900 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

BBC will have a highlights programme running during the competition but if its anything like the Super League Show it will be on at 4 o'clock in the morning!

To be fair to the BBC, their highlights packages for SL Playoffs and Internationals have been scheduled in a much more civilised slot than the SLS over the last few years.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#27 Town Globetrotter

Town Globetrotter
  • Coach
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:42 AM

I have also noticed via the Fox Soccer Plus facebook page that they will not be broadcasting the RLWC in the USA; therefore the question is...who will be? (refer to the comments underneath the Wigan Grand Final photo):

https://www.facebook...cerplus?fref=ts

It would be scandalous not to at least allow the Premier Player to broadcast the RLWC in America; especially considering the US are playing in the tournament, plus the number of expats based in the country. I hope the RLWC operating committee swiftly agrees terms with a broadcast partner to air the RLWC in the USA; otherwise I'm going to have to rely on dodgy/poor quality streams.

Today I received the following message from the official RLWC 2013 facebook page:

"We are looking into getting coverage on the Rugby League World Cup in America, Hope this helped and enjoy the World Cup."

Hopefully they will secure a deal; it would be best to do it through Fox Soccer Plus since it's the home of US rugby (Union and League), where hopefully a few non-league fans will check out a game.

To digress Rugby 7s is the most popular form of rugby in the US; especially since Union 7s became an Olympic sport, in fact 7s is actually giving the USRU authorities some minor headaches because the typical US player prefers 7s over 15s with the reasons generally being that they don't like the technicalities of scrums, line-outs, rucking and mauling. With this in mind you would hope that some 7s players would give league ago if they caught a RLWC game or two.

Edited by Town Globetrotter, 17 October 2013 - 04:45 AM.

#28 Moomintroll

Moomintroll
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

There must be a reason those countries are blocked specifically for the RLWC,

Dubai-based OSN will broadcast the RLWC to the Middle East and North Africa.

Edited by Moomintroll, 17 October 2013 - 05:00 PM.