RFL & SLE set to clash

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#1 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

It's the big meet (RFL EGM) Wednesday to determine the future of the league format.

A "majority" of SL clubs are meeting today unhappy he RFL are pushing new structures the top clubs say they have not yet voted to accept.

Mr. Sadler who brings this inside news says "Most of the money generated by RL in this country is generated by Superleague" and adds that any fresh impetus has to come from the SL clubs themselves, in the wake of NRL/RU/EPL being driven by member clubs rather than governing body.

So it could be the future agenda is set to be hijacked today. By "Majority" I wonder whose not at the meeting and would guess London? and maybe any other club whose boss isn't prepared to put money into their clubs as SL moves on?? Conversely those non SL clubs who have rich owners may be hovering around?

Interesting times...

#2 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

I can't believe the SL clubs will vote for the new structure.

The top clubs may well not care too much, but could see the danger in ending up playing the same teams too many times. The likes of Cas/Wakey/Hull KR will be like turkeys voting for Christmas, replacing fixtures with Leeds/Wigan etc. with Leigh/Batley/Sheffield with the added bonus of relegation as a possibility. Oh, and probably a reduction in income too.

Interesting times indeed.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#3 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

Mr Wood, Mr Rimmer;

Your chickens are coming home to roost

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#4 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

Mr Wood, Mr Rimmer;

Your chickens are coming home to roost

Nec, are you expecting fowl play?

#5 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

Nec, are you expecting fowl play?

Very good.  I expected a comment about Nigel eating the chickens (deep fried), but you did much better.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#6 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

RFL to be left with egg on their face

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Despite not existing any more in any meaningful sense will the London Broncos get a vote?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

The story gets a better run in League Weekly. Ian Lenaghan is leading the revolt. Claims that Wire, Hull, Hull KR, Huddersfield, Saints & London are all critical of the RFL Board. The approach is to put the SL clubs in control of the TV revenue, rather than the RFL.

Danny Lockwood quite rightly points out that virtually none of those running the SL clubs were around in 2000 and will remember how a similar approach by Lindsey, Caisley & Hetherington brought the game to its knees. It is only down to a fully independent RFL that looks after the whole game that the game got up off the floor and is able to put on this year's World Cup.

Am surprised that Lenaghan is trying to be so disruptive, he has come across well in the past. Clearly problems with the marketing of the game, but I can't see why the SL clubs as a collective can't get their act together and promote the SL comp in a better way themselves, rather than blame the RFL for their failings.

This could be a critical week.

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

The story gets a better run in League Weekly. Ian Lenaghan is leading the revolt. Claims that Wire, Hull, Hull KR, Huddersfield, Saints & London are all critical of the RFL Board. The approach is to put the SL clubs in control of the TV revenue, rather than the RFL.

Danny Lockwood quite rightly points out that virtually none of those running the SL clubs were around in 2000 and will remember how a similar approach by Lindsey, Caisley & Hetherington brought the game to its knees. It is only down to a fully independent RFL that looks after the whole game that the game got up off the floor and is able to put on this year's World Cup.

Am surprised that Lenaghan is trying to be so disruptive, he has come across well in the past. Clearly problems with the marketing of the game, but I can't see why the SL clubs as a collective can't get their act together and promote the SL comp in a better way themselves, rather than blame the RFL for their failings.

This could be a critical week.

The difficulty is that the RFL has, to this outsider, been playing a very odd game of scaling back ambition and focusing only on things that benefit handful of Championship clubs.  The positives were either already there or had momentum beforehand - so CC1's expansion to Hemel, Oxford and Gloucester was in train a while back and is now being ignored by these baffling rushjob changes.

I really don't want to see the SL clubs stage a coup but with the current RFL Brains Trust it's not surprising to see it threatened.

- Severus, July 2012

#10 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 490 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

So 6 out of 14 clubs. I thought it'd be more

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

So 6 out of 14 clubs. I thought it'd be more

6 + Lenaghan?  So, half.

That'll be fun.

- Severus, July 2012

#12 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 490 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

Oops. Didn't count Wigan. Still thought it'd be more than half

#13 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

It fits with League Express' agenda to flower up any potential disputes, the publication has been against restructure from the start. 

It reads to me like a bit of sabre rattling aimed at squeezing a few concessions from the RFL.

Time will tell.

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

Oops. Didn't count Wigan. Still thought it'd be more than half

That's those who've broken cover before the meeting.

Expect epic willy waving come Wednesday.

- Severus, July 2012

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

It fits with League Express' agenda to flower up any potential disputes, the publication has been against restructure from the start. 

It reads to me like a bit of sabre rattling aimed at squeezing a few concessions from the RFL.

Time will tell.

the publication has been against restructure from the start. 

Quite right, too.  The proposed restructuring is in my view akin to rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic instead of trying to avoid the iceberg. 

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

That's those who've broken cover before the meeting.

Expect epic willy waving come Wednesday.

Some willies are smaller and limper  than others...or so I am led to believe.   :laugh: :laugh:

#17 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

i would expect marwan koukash and steve o'connor to come down firmly with the clubs already mentioned, who would want to pump money into a club on the premise that they have a license only for the goal posts to be moved to satisfy a handful of championship clubs.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#18 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

Time will tell.

Maybe, but it seems League Weekly have gone into far more detail on the story. What has their stance been - haven't read it in months?

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#19 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

Maybe, but it seems League Weekly have gone into far more detail on the story. What has their stance been - haven't read it in months?

I haven't detected an agenda in League Weekly, they have just reported on the facts, rather than editorialised the issue.  That said, I don't get it every week.

#20 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

the publication has been against restructure from the start. 

Quite right, too.  The proposed restructuring is in my view akin to rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic instead of trying to avoid the iceberg. 

In your opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users