Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Opening Ceremony

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

TV advert for the opening ceremony just been released. Looks fantastic.

http://m.youtube.com...eature=youtu.be

#2 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Pretty good Ad.

#3 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Looks good. Great to see big Sam and Widdop on there alongside Tomkins and Sinfield.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,274 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Looks awesome.  A 30 second version to be broadcast during England v Poland soccer next week.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

Clearly part of the "Big Push" we were promised.

http://www.rlwc2013....-tv-advert-will

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

pretty nice ad. nice to see they are going for a subtle approach rather than predictable rock music blasting out...

#7 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

pretty nice ad. nice to see they are going for a subtle approach rather than predictable rock music blasting out...

I like it! Just hope they do one for Wales as well to showcase that particular game to the Welsh...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#8 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

I love it. Come on England!

#9 LoinerDave

LoinerDave
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

I'm sorry, but really? That's the best we could come up with? I'm hugely disappointed. This advert won't excite any new people to this world cup. It's basically some sportsmen training, alone. We couldn't find any footage of tries, big hits, full grounds, the passion etc? I really don't wanna be a whiner, I'm not the negative type, and will big up our game wherever I can. But we all need help with the neutrals. And this isn't giving us any.

#10 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

I'm sorry, but really? That's the best we could come up with? I'm hugely disappointed. This advert won't excite any new people to this world cup. It's basically some sportsmen training, alone. We couldn't find any footage of tries, big hits, full grounds, the passion etc? I really don't wanna be a whiner, I'm not the negative type, and will big up our game wherever I can. But we all need help with the neutrals. And this isn't giving us any.

I agree.  I was hoping to see some rugby in it because after all they were supposed to be advertising the world cup, not England.  I am disappointed by it and I don't think it will have much if any impact at all as what is there in it to create impact? 

#11 donny donny

donny donny
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

If they could show this in one ad break and then follow it with action packed one in the following ad break they may have been onto something. If your watching the footy in a pub your more likely to take notice of the advert they have made for the Wembley Semis (http://www.youtube.c..._aae03OwQioIgBQ) than this one.

That's me being nit picky though!

Edited by donny donny, 07 October 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

on the contrary im glad they didnt go down the action packed route. Its predictable and often used and tbh i think a bit cheap.
We dont always need to be so shouty. It tells people about the WC and the opener, 14 teams and that England are preparing for it. Not sure what the big issue is.

#13 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

some of it was filmed at south leeds stadium last week , to be honest I lost interest about 20 seconds in, boring.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#14 LoinerDave

LoinerDave
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

on the contrary im glad they didnt go down the action packed route. Its predictable and often used and tbh i think a bit cheap.
We dont always need to be so shouty. It tells people about the WC and the opener, 14 teams and that England are preparing for it. Not sure what the big issue is.

It's boring. It's the equivalent of reading about a game to watching it. As has been spoken about a million times, our exposure needs raising. Why not show the many who aren't already aware, how brilliant our game can be. It's a missed opportunity. Yet again.

#15 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

that blokes voice sounds like he should be promoting the latest fashion in library books.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#16 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 944 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

It's boring. It's the equivalent of reading about a game to watching it. As has been spoken about a million times, our exposure needs raising. Why not show the many who aren't already aware, how brilliant our game can be. It's a missed opportunity. Yet again.

Most neutrals know exactly what rugby is about.... and it ain't got them coming through the turnstiles. What you think is of interest to you certainly isn't of interest to the wider public, otherwise we would have people flooding to watch our game.   So it needs an approach that is contrary to yours.  For all you know the type of things that excite you may well turn off the neutrals.

Edited by redjonn, 07 October 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

also, an ad agency will have come up with this. they usually have some knowledge of this kind of thing.

we have seen three ads in tge lsst 12 months, the extraordinary one, the Wiggins one, and now this. They all come across as though we are a confident sport who doesnt need to shout about how good it is. Its getting the message out there.

All good stuff.

#18 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Most neutrals know exactly what rugby is about.... and it ain't got them coming through the turnstiles. What you think is of interest to you certainly isn't of interest to the wider public, otherwise we would have people flooding to watch our game.   So it needs an approach that is contrary to yours.  For all you know the type of things that excite you may well turn off the neutrals.

YOUR FIRED :drag:

#19 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

Most neutrals know exactly what rugby is about.... .

I would guess most neutrals think that rugby is about rugby union, not league, wouldn't you?

#20 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 944 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

also, an ad agency will have come up with this. they usually have some knowledge of this kind of thing.

we have seen three ads in tge lsst 12 months, the extraordinary one, the Wiggins one, and now this. They all come across as though we are a confident sport who doesnt need to shout about how good it is. Its getting the message out there.

All good stuff.

I agree with you.... we sell the game the way we like it to be portrayed... yet it doesn't get the neutrals wanting to come along. So just maybe we don't do the game justice the way we sell it and just maybe the marketing company have done there job and analysed what would be the most effective advert.