Opening Ceremony

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#61 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

Have you already seen the opening ceremony?

Nope, but I have seen what everyone else has seen, and I have made a judgement based upon that. You may not agree with my opinion, and you may, in fact, be the world's biggest Strictly fan, but I don't like it.

I really do hope that having an opinion is OK with you.

#62 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Nope, but I have seen what everyone else has seen, and I have made a judgement based upon that. You may not agree with my opinion, and you may, in fact, be the world's biggest Strictly fan, but I don't like it.

I really do hope that having an opinion is OK with you.

Having an opinion on something you haven't seen yet (and hasn't even happened yet) is a little mental in my eyes, but not unusual for a RL fan.

Try watching it - if you think it's ###### then come back and moan.

#63 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 900 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Lobby is a Leigh dish and lobby isn't used in St Helens. 

I think you need to check a map!  Leigh doesn't merge with St Helens anywhere.  I'm sure it merges with Wigan though.

OK, its very close... just that when I sometimes take the "back roads" I get to St Helens in a blink from Leigh...

Hope your making some Lancashire Parkin for Bonfire night.... we'll be making some, although now we are in Yorkshire guess it will have to be Yorkshire Parkin...

#64 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

You can't win in rugby league really can you? I get the feeling that if we'd have managed to secure Kylie Minogue, Status Quo,Katherine Jenkins, Blur, Oasis, Paul Macartney, Bob Dylan, a couple of strippers & Spit the Dog someone would complain that there wasn't a marching band.

I'm just going to enjoy the tournament, the game & the spectacle.....maybe I'm in the minority

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#65 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

You can't win in rugby league really can you? I get the feeling that if we'd have managed to secure Kylie Minogue, Status Quo,Katherine Jenkins, Blur, Oasis, Paul Macartney, Bob Dylan, a couple of strippers & Spit the Dog someone would complain that there wasn't a marching band.

I'm just going to enjoy the tournament, the game & the spectacle.....maybe I'm in the minority

well said!

#66 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Having an opinion on something you haven't seen yet (and hasn't even happened yet) is a little mental in my eyes, but not unusual for a RL fan.

Try watching it - if you think it's ###### then come back and moan.

Have you never seen Strictly? Is it not therefore obvious what is coming?

You just don't want me to have an opinion, and question my state of mind for having one. If you do not have the imagination to see what is going to happen, please don't question me, better to question yourself.

If you think having Martin Offiah prancing around on a rugby pitch in sequins is what RL is all about, then God help us all.

#67 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

You just don't want me to have an opinion, and question my state of mind for having one. If you do not have the imagination to see what is going to happen, please don't question me, better to question yourself.

If you think having Martin Offiah prancing around on a rugby pitch in sequins is what RL is all about, then God help us all.

Ah, I get it, so you have 'imagined' what is going to happen.

Nobody has stopped you having an opinion, it would be impossible for me to do that, but if you post your opinion on a forum, expect people to question it, especially when it is you criticising something that hasn't happened and you have imagined.

Opening ceremonies are not what the sport is all about. The Olympic Opening Ceremony was outstanding, but very little to do with the actual olympics.

#68 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

No we don't.

yes we do lass, snap is a local st helens term for food, especially a packed lunch for work, and lobbies is the old st helens name for hot pot...............how do i know this? i am a st helener born and bred from the regal district of fingerpost.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#69 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

Why are you harping on about the opening ceremony? ;)

#70 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

Lobby is a Leigh dish and lobby isn't used in St Helens. 

I think you need to check a map!  Leigh doesn't merge with St Helens anywhere.  I'm sure it merges with Wigan though.

lass wrong again, lobbies is a sthelens term for hotpot my mam used it and my grand mother did as well, even though she was irish.and lobby is a dish of south west lancashire in general. it is exactly the same as hotpot, except we don't put black pudding or offal in it...............

Edited by Viking Warrior, 16 October 2013 - 11:07 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#71 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

OK, its very close... just that when I sometimes take the "back roads" I get to St Helens in a blink from Leigh...

Hope your making some Lancashire Parkin for Bonfire night.... we'll be making some, although now we are in Yorkshire guess it will have to be Yorkshire Parkin...

she must be from a posh part of st helens like eccleston or rainford. in the other less affluent areas we called it lobbies.

#72 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

Nice to see Chris Irvine also praising the use of the massively popular Strictly Come Dancing brand as part of the Opening ceremony. Oh no, hang on, he is moaning about it.

#73 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

Our game became so good as compared with RU in it's infancy, that when the locals wanted to particularly praise something they used to say it was the finest in the Northern Union.

I think this Rugby World Cup will be so much better than any of it's predecessors that we will be able to update to " A League on our own". I think this Cup will result in a re emergence of our game as something of substance in the eyes of the general public.

I think it will bear very favourable comparison with the stodgy, yawn inducing, 35 minute action borefests of penalty goals, rolling mauls and lineouts being pushed out as the pinnacle or Rugby excellence in the same month.

I can't hardly wait and am getting excited about the tournament.

As for the tongue in cheek comments about Sally Bolton. It seems to me that the woman has been an inspired choice to head up the world cup effort from the official opening at Salford to the host city bidding concept, which has resulted in some outstanding local efforts to market games in their local areas, to the volunteer recruitment concept, to the media awareness press events, to the early and timely release of tickets last October and the subsequent promotional deals to keep demand ticking over, to the trophy tour around the country and finally to the organisation of the opening ceremony.

there has never been anything remotely as professionally done in our game to my knowledge.

If they are looking for competent administrators at the RFL they could do much worse than sign her up.

#74 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:49 AM

Love it or hate it, Strictly is very very very popular in households across the UK and may actually get people through the door who may not have thought about going.

If tis opening ceremony stops Simmo going but encourages mr and Mrs middle class with 2.4 children then it'll do for me.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#75 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

Nice to see Chris Irvine also praising the use of the massively popular Strictly Come Dancing brand as part of the Opening ceremony. Oh no, hang on, he is moaning about it.

FFS.  Cretin.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#76 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

Maybe they could have done something to celebrate Rugby Leagues heritage, kind of like the 2012 olympic ceremony, chronicalling the games history through to the present day, all set to the music of Jean Michelle Jarre and Gary Numan........

#77 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

Never watched Strictly, not really my thing, but it's very popular & even I should be able to enjoy a little bit of dancing as part of the opening ceremony. I'm not a big opera fan, but I can appreciate a good, rousing song before a big match.

Chill, let's see what we get and enjoy.

#78 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:28 AM

My latest World Cup blog http://southwakefiel...-with-the-most/ includes a little bit on the launch of the World Cup which was on 30 November 2010 and the bidding process for host towns and cities.

You can see from that, how professional the whole thing has been. You can also see how the tournament planning has grown from there and much of what we see now, links back directly to those early plans.

#79 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

Never watched Strictly, not really my thing, but it's very popular & even I should be able to enjoy a little bit of dancing as part of the opening ceremony. I'm not a big opera fan, but I can appreciate a good, rousing song before a big match.

Chill, let's see what we get and enjoy.

I'm struggling to see a downside to pretty ladies thrusting themselves about before two matches of international rugby league.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#80 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

Ah, I get it, so you have 'imagined' what is going to happen.

Nobody has stopped you having an opinion, it would be impossible for me to do that, but if you post your opinion on a forum, expect people to question it, especially when it is you criticising something that hasn't happened and you have imagined.

Opening ceremonies are not what the sport is all about. The Olympic Opening Ceremony was outstanding, but very little to do with the actual olympics.

Not sure that is fair. What if they announced a game of RU as the Opening Ceremony. It may not have happened yet but most will have the imagination to safely say they wouldn't like it.

Just because its popular doesn't mean some strictly style theme during the show is going to bring people in. Celebrity Masterchef is popular but I don't see it as suitable for a live episode during the ceremony.

Lets stop bullshitting about what RL is and relying on phoney gimmicks. Get me a big rock band to play a one hour set with explosions and fireworks and then let's get the action started

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users