Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NRC and Championship finals

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 phildog

phildog
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

Just been watching Calendar, and on the sports round-up they showed the game at Morecambe over the weekend. I was in Morecambe a few months ago, and for any fans who want the Finals to be an away-day, then this is a modern up to date stadium which is surely worthy of at least a once over by the clubs involved in these competitions to see what the financial implications are. It is unfair to play a final on any ground which may turn out to be the ground of a potential finalist. if clubs DO vote to stay at a championship ground, then it should be left until the finalists are known before choosing the venue. When NRC finalists are known there is enough breathing space to enquire into availability of certain grounds, similarly at play-off time once the semi-finalists are known there is time to arrange a venue. It may be that such as Spotland, the Keepmoat, and any ground with a capability of housing the expected crowd can be sounded out. Are we really bound to The Shay or LSV? Are any SL grounds considered, Headingley or Central Park would be a experience for the players who may never have the opportunity to play there normally. With those 2 being grounds within the competition, what was the financial arrangement? Is it arranged via the stadium owners, or the local council, and do the clubs who play on those grounds receive any benefit (refreshment huts exempted). We seem to be suddenly presented with a fait accompli without knowing how or why the decision has been arrived at.

#2 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

Just been watching Calendar, and on the sports round-up they showed the game at Morecambe over the weekend. I was in Morecambe a few months ago, and for any fans who want the Finals to be an away-day, then this is a modern up to date stadium which is surely worthy of at least a once over by the clubs involved in these competitions to see what the financial implications are. It is unfair to play a final on any ground which may turn out to be the ground of a potential finalist. if clubs DO vote to stay at a championship ground, then it should be left until the finalists are known before choosing the venue. When NRC finalists are known there is enough breathing space to enquire into availability of certain grounds, similarly at play-off time once the semi-finalists are known there is time to arrange a venue. It may be that such as Spotland, the Keepmoat, and any ground with a capability of housing the expected crowd can be sounded out. Are we really bound to The Shay or LSV? Are any SL grounds considered, Headingley or Central Park would be a experience for the players who may never have the opportunity to play there normally. With those 2 being grounds within the competition, what was the financial arrangement? Is it arranged via the stadium owners, or the local council, and do the clubs who play on those grounds receive any benefit (refreshment huts exempted). We seem to be suddenly presented with a fait accompli without knowing how or why the decision has been arrived at.

Agree with most of that phildog - not sure whether Tesco's would be keen on a match being staged on the car park of their wigan branch though. ;)

#3 phildog

phildog
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

Nice one gor!!

#4 bazbulldog

bazbulldog
  • Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

The Globe Arena at Morecambe is apparently a fine modern stadium but only has a capacity of 6,476 which would have meant a capacity crowd for the play off final

assuming everyone who went to Leigh had gone to Morecambe but if the game had been between the 2 best supported clubs in Fev and Halifax it probably wouldn't

have been big enough,my choice for a neutral venue would be the Salford city stadium which would be big enough and has the advantage of being close to the

Trafford centre for people to make a day of it,just my opinion of course.

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,662 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

The Globe Arena at Morecambe is apparently a fine modern stadium but only has a capacity of 6,476 which would have meant a capacity crowd for the play off final

assuming everyone who went to Leigh had gone to Morecambe but if the game had been between the 2 best supported clubs in Fev and Halifax it probably wouldn't

have been big enough,my choice for a neutral venue would be the Salford city stadium which would be big enough and has the advantage of being close to the

Shopping and rucking eh?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

When Halifax played Featherstone in the 2012 Northern Rail Cup Final at Blackpool the crowd was 6,691. Halifax's hardcore support is about 1500 and Featherstone's 2,000. The stadium at Morecambe would be a good choice for the Grand Final. Supporters would have the choice of travelling on the day or stopping overnight.

Edited by bulldogtrev, 12 October 2013 - 06:32 PM.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#7 ginaldo

ginaldo
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

yes but what about the other 4 teams supporters in the grand finals day

#8 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

When Halifax played Featherstone in the 2012 Northern Rail Cup Final at Blackpool the crowd was 6,691. Halifax's hardcore support is about 1500 and Featherstone's 2,000. The stadium at Morecambe would be a good choice for the Grand Final. Supporters would have the choice of travelling on the day or stopping overnight.

Trev, the NRL final in 2012 was down in 2012 by a significant number of people that boycotted the day because of the trouble after the GF between Fev & Fax.

If you want to have a look at a football ground and maybe at the seaside then have a look at Blundell Park (Grimbsy, but really in Cleethorpes) which holds around 10,000.

However for me Headingley is the place to go.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users