Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

EDL Leaders quit

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,094 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

Robinson and Carroll quit. Apparently, they've only just noticed that their followers are drunken boneheads who like causing trouble and intimidating brown people.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

The EDL is marching in Bradford this Saturday.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,718 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

The EDL is marching in Bradford this Saturday.

Haven't heard about this. Where exactly?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

http://www.thetelegr...tration/?ref=mr

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,718 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

They better watch out, they are starting work on the Westfield project this month. The council said so. :rolleyes:

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#6 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

Not sure if this is good or bad new for the EDL.

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

Organisations like the EDL and BNP always have a bunch of hotheads who seek mission-creep. They exist in a series of phases, with each phase always ending in tears and bloodletting.

#8 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

Mission creep? How so?

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

As I see it:

The English Defence League  started out as a campaign to make Moslems have to follow the same rules as everyone else and to subscribe to traditional British standards of social freedom. The EDL membership's basic feeling was that we were being too soft on Moslems who, as a social grouping, were taking this country for a ride. EDL Supporters included a notable proportion of people from a range of non-muslim faiths and ethnicities.

Tommy Robinson now says that, over the past year or so, the organisation has been infiltrated by groups that wish to actively discriminate against Moslems. He no longer feels able to direct its activities and policies in what he sees as the correct manner.

Presumably, during and after his spell in prison, he's had his power-base irrevocably eroded.

It's certainly true that this claimed disruption/infiltration of the EDL coincides with a contemporary major schism in the British National Party.

Edited by Wolford6, 08 October 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#10 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:42 AM

It doesn't read like mission creep to me. A group set up to target one specific part of society.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 09 October 2013 - 02:17 AM.

#11 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:20 AM

As I see it:

The English Defence League started out as a campaign to make Moslems have to follow the same rules as everyone else and to subscribe to traditional British standards of social freedom. The EDL membership's basic feeling was that we were being too soft on Moslems who, as a social grouping, were taking this country for a ride. EDL Supporters included a notable proportion of people from a range of non-muslim faiths and ethnicities.

Tommy Robinson now says that, over the past year or so, the organisation has been infiltrated by groups that wish to actively discriminate against Moslems. He no longer feels able to direct its activities and policies in what he sees as the correct manner.

Presumably, during and after his spell in prison, he's had his power-base irrevocably eroded.

It's certainly true that this claimed disruption/infiltration of the EDL coincides with a contemporary major schism in the British National Party.

As an aside, why is it that you consistently use the term muslim and not Muslim, when the convention in modern day Britain is the latter?

Edited by Larry the Leit, 09 October 2013 - 05:49 AM.

#12 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:11 AM

As I see it:

The English Defence League started out as a campaign to make Moslems have to follow the same rules as everyone else and to subscribe to traditional British standards of social freedom. The EDL membership's basic feeling was that we were being too soft on Moslems who, as a social grouping, were taking this country for a ride. EDL Supporters included a notable proportion of people from a range of non-muslim faiths and ethnicities.

Totally inaccurate. EDL was ALWAYS well populated by known fascists. Yaxley Lennon is himself a former member of the BNP. Many of the EDLs regional organisers are still active fascists.

Please stop using the term "muslim". It is simply.wrong.

LUNEW.jpg

#13 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:04 AM

Please stop using the term "muslim". It is simply.wrong.

Why?

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

The English Defence League  started out as a campaign to make Moslems have to follow the same rules as everyone else and to subscribe to traditional British standards of social freedom.

The mission creep seems to me that they started out as a racist drinking and fighting club and then accidentally stumbled on a specific cause to hurl cans at.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#15 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

I just briefly heard Tommy Robinson (ex of the EDL) on the wireless.  I suspect that he must have already aroused the interest of the English Language Defence League.

#16 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

Tommy Robinson was asked about previous comments he made at EDL rallies announcing his hatred for all things Islam.

"It's no good dwelling on the past" he replied.

If he really thinks that then perhaps we won't get any more of these cr ap tv programmes where he goes round with a JCB digging up people's nicely lawned gardens looking for rotting artefacts and claiming they're summat exciting.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#17 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

Does racism exist outside the EDL and can you be a racist and be non white in the UK ?

#18 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,521 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

Does racism exist outside the EDL and can you be a racist and be non white in the UK ?

of course it does

of course you can.

racism is a long time discussion topic on this forum including the aspects of it that you raise: almost entirely in an articulate and informed way. In all the years that this topic has been discussed from a wide range of perspectives and specific subject matters and nobody from whatever viewpoint on this topic that any posters come from would be as ignorant to have the ideas you suggest.. The two scenarios you raise are ridiculous and in my view disingenuous

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#19 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

Tommy Robinson was asked about previous comments he made at EDL rallies announcing his hatred for all things Islam.

"It's no good dwelling on the past" he replied.

If he really thinks that then perhaps we won't get any more of these cr ap tv programmes where he goes round with a JCB digging up people's nicely lawned gardens looking for rotting artefacts and claiming they're summat exciting.

Boom.

I await a Boo Radley reference.

#20 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

I await a Boo Radley reference.

Well I'm awake and it is a beautiful morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users