Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

League Restructure

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 901 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

I see the 'greedy' superleague club have forced a delay in the announcement as they are concerned about them losing any money. No interest in the health of the game as a whole then?

What a surprise!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#2 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

Wigan I believe..History repeating itself;

#3 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

Many clubs 'sold their souls' years ago - result, an unhealthy kind of RL.

:tease:

#4 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

If the truth be known - I am not a fan of Super League or any of the teams in it...........they should change Radio Manchester's Rugby League Hour ( if that's what it is still called) to Super League Hour that way I can stop listening to it in the vain hope there will news about clubs outside SL................

#5 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Spot on Wayne - me too. Saw right through Super Greed about 14 years ago and stopped watching it! You are lucky to get any Rugby League at all on GMR if there is a local football match on as well.

#6 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

Totally go along with the last two postings.

The word "super" in Super League should be replaced by something nearer the truth - the Boring and Grossly Overrated League?

:sungum:

Edited by Blue Monkey, 09 October 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#7 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

I'd rename superleague as the aussie has been league, far too many clubs sign over the hill aussies/New zealanders just looking for a payday, I do wish stevo would stop using words like stanza, paddock, shamozzle, claret, and not to mention go for a drop goal all the time.

#8 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:48 AM

I think super league is a fantastic spectacle
The grand final was a great match to watch and I've enjoyed many games throughout the season

The administration of rugby league is the let down from amateur level to the RFL and super league

The selfish attitude of many chairmen from many clubs is apparent.

#9 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

Tail wagging the dog as usual. The RFL is impotent.

#10 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

I've posted something similar to this before, but as Rugby League fans lets not knock Super league, which is the pinnacle of our sport, displaying the ultimate athletes - our problem is the RFL and we have discussed their failings many times before, changing the system just for changing sake, making the sport more complicated than it is etc etc

I was at Old Trafford last week with a group of Warrington, St Helens, Wigan supportters and they were very respectful of our history and current situation - I found myself yet again privileged to be a member of the 'Rugby League Family' - nothing wrong with our sport other than the administration (admittedly significant) but Super League shows our game at its best in my opinion.   

#11 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

...displaying the ultimate athletes    

"Athletes" yes, exactly, that's what the top players are nowadays and that's partly the problem in my eyes. The "F" in RLFC used to stand for rugby "football", a game played by rugby "footballers", result great entertainment. Nowadays we have more and more "athletes" turning out, result, a far less entertaining product.

#12 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

"Athletes" yes, exactly, that's what the top players are nowadays and that's partly the problem in my eyes. The "F" in RLFC used to stand for rugby "football", a game played by rugby "footballers", result great entertainment. Nowadays we have more and more "athletes" turning out, result, a far less entertaining product.

Couldn't agree less Keith!

There's far more kicking with the foot today than in the dark ages with unlimited tackles!

Are you telling me Danny Brough /  Kevin Sinfield are not footballers / entertainers? Perhaps I'm wrong but in my opinion, Sam Tomkins is hugely talented, and entertains as wel!.

The game we love (like life) has moved on, and my suggestion to you is move with it, rather than be stuck in a 60s time-warp.

Your move mate, and I await your answer with baited breath!

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#13 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

Well when the world cup starts and Greg Inglis and Billy Slater start their robotic athleticism we should find it relatively easy to combat

I doubt Rangi Chase or Sam Tomkins will be capable of creating a gap in any defence for Josh Charnley to zip through

As for the fijians. ...well they'll be full of players from the NRL who couldn't make it into the Aussie team so they'll be rubbish.

And that Anthony Milford for the Pacific Islanders...his step and swerve is overrated.

In fact this world cup will be rubbish

I think I'll stop watching altogether because the game causes me nothing but misery these days

#14 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

Can't agree with you on this one Keith - being athletic surely cannot be a problem in any sport - as John has said our game has moved on and Super League is now played by full time players who are subsequently fitter and therefore athletes to compare with any other sport - and in my opinion the skill factor and entertainment is still their in huge amounts and can still compare with what I saw in the 60s - but that's just my opinion  

#15 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

Couldn't agree less Keith!

There's far more kicking with the foot today than in the dark ages with unlimited tackles!

Are you telling me Danny Brough /  Kevin Sinfield are not footballers / entertainers? Perhaps I'm wrong but in my opinion, Sam Tomkins is hugely talented, and entertains as wel!.

The game we love (like life) has moved on, and my suggestion to you is move with it, rather than be stuck in a 60s time-warp.

Your move mate, and I await your answer with baited breath!

Spelly.

You obviously don't go to the same opticians as I (and others?) do, do you? 

#16 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

- being athletic surely cannot be a problem in any sport -   

Well, of course it's not a problem, any idiot would agree with that. The problem, as I see it, is that nowadays the Super League 'stars' are athletes first and footballers second (or maybe third).

Whereas in the game's glory days, before the Murdoch/Sky takeover, it was just the opposite with athleticism being an additional asset to a rugby footballer's natural ability.

If you think hard about it for long enough, surely you must see there's got to be sense in my point of view - or are you simply too proud to own up and admit it?

#17 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

I think you have a point blue monkey but I think you are over generalising

In my experience watching Swinton from the 70s on we would have half a decent team and a couple of pot bellied forwards who could barely run a winger who could barely walk and a half back who couldn't pass
What has happened now is 17 fit players. Thats all.

There is no way players are less skillful ...that simply can't happen. Fitness and defence are of so much a higher standard and gaps aren't as easy to find

There are many many fantastic players. Maybe you need to watch them a bit more . Open your mind as much as you're asking us to.

#18 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

Well, of course it's not a problem, any idiot would agree with that. The problem, as I see it, is that nowadays the Super League 'stars' are athletes first and footballers second (or maybe third).

Whereas in the game's glory days, before the Murdoch/Sky takeover, it was just the opposite with athleticism being an additional asset to a rugby footballer's natural ability.

If you think hard about it for long enough, surely you must see there's got to be sense in my point of view - or are you simply too proud to own up and admit it?

Fine Keith - you used the phrase 'partly the problem' - I have thought about it and I will completely admit to the pure skills of the players of the past but I do feel that the (sorry to use the phrase) athleticism of todays players adds to the value of rugby league - and if their is one thing I am proud about, it is I was lucky enough to be a Swinton supporter in the 60s, but as I am now into my 70s I realise things do move on

#19 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

Just to add to this discussion - surely when we (as rugby league fans) watch the skills of Danny Brough, Sam Tomkins,Lee Briers etc etc are we not so appreciative of their sills and entertainment value, or have I got it wrong?? 

#20 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

Keith,

Let me ask you this please!

If tomorrow, you could return to unlimited tackles, and contested scrums, that we had in the (not so) good old days, would you give it the thumbs up?

What about the standard of goal-kicking? Were Gowers and Blan, better exponents of it than Morty?

Why when other sports have improved over the years yet RL (in your opinion) gone backwards?

There is far more of the  game played with the foot these days than the ones you hold so dear, so how can you say that today's stars are not footballers?

I've watched the Lions for nearly as long as you, so I'm hardly a new boy to the Greatest Game on the Planet, but if I had the chance to turn the clock back to when I first cut my teeth, I'd turn it down flat, as the Rugby League of today is far better in all contexts!

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users