Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Proposed SL and Championships 2015

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 phildog

phildog
  • 318 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

Put a hold on the excitement we all felt at the announcement of re-structuring, greedy SL clubs are about to kick us all in the teeth just for a change. The proposed meeting of Wednesday to sort it out has been shelved, as Wigan's chairman is evidently contacting the old boys' network to vote it down. They get double the voting rights you see, so they become 28 teams against 23 Championship clubs, so it only takes 12 SL clubs to stick together and the whole show is over. That said I can't see 2 clubs not voting for it, as the 2 likely bottom finishers won't want to sign their own death warrant will they? Greed, greed and more greed. I strongly urge the current championship clubs to form their own organisation and pull out of the Rugby Football League, (they hardly notice that we exist anyway) pick up their own sponsorships (thanks Kingstone Press and Northern Rail)seeing as SL don't actually have a contributing sponsor (ha ha Eddie Stobart)and take the Challenge Cup with them (it's not SL's trophy). What do we need to do to show these SL clubs that we are sick of their strutting and superiority?

#2 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

How long do you think we'd survive without SKY's money, and how much do you think Kingstone Press and Northern Rail pump into our sponsorship kitty???

Posted Image

#3 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

Championship clubs don't get that much from the sky funds and would survive without it. If a new governing body was formed for the good of the sport then the tv and sponsorship money for that could be split more equally. I'm not saying it would be an easy move but it is not impossible.

The RFL waste money on arranging these things only to be told what to do by Wigan and SL. That just doesn't happen in other sports. If the premiership (football) was locked off from the divisions below then you would see all teams losing fans as we have seen in the champ.

If championship clubs all got together and stood up for themselves and the sport I would get behind that and I'm sure most people would.

#4 Goooonnnnnnnnnnnnn Sean

Goooonnnnnnnnnnnnn Sean
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

I think one of the biggest issues with this is that clubs like Fev and Fax aspire to be in SL and would not be willing to cut ties with Red Hall as such a move would compromise this. Without the backing of the bigger clubs in The Championship it's difficult to see this gaining momentum.

In regards to Sky money I seem to remember the club getting an up front payment for a few years a couple of seasons ago. I can't remember the amount but I think it was quite significant.

#5 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

The whole sport bounces from one disaster to another.

I think this one may be the final straw depending on the outcome.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#6 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

There's a lot of dreamers posting on this thread.

Can we not just accept that sometimes decisions go against us but we don't need to take our proverbial bats home like spoilt kids ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#7 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

There's a lot of dreamers posting on this thread.

Can we not just accept that sometimes decisions go against us but we don't need to take our proverbial bats home like spoilt kids ?

So you are happy with how the sport is run?

#8 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

No.  Neither am I happy with how the country is run.

But I accept that, in a democracy, you don't always get your own way.

#9 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'll ask the same question on here that I asked on the rams forum - why now ? We know several clubs are "flashing the cash", based on the promise/hope of a SL2 place in 2015. It now looks as though their ambitions are going to be as dented as their bank balances. Why did the SL "rebels" not voice their concerns when the proposed changes were mooted and before anybody decided to go for broke in 2014 ? I would like to know what these changes in funding would have been, and whether it would have impacted on the top clubs anyway. One thought that occurs to me is that, by scuppering the restructuring proposals, the top SL clubs will be able to continue to manipulate the divisive DR system with impunity.

#10 phildog

phildog
  • 318 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Interesting comments, so someone thinks that Fev and Halifax wouldn't want to slip out of the RFL noose in case of hurting their chances. Does that make them as greedy as the current SL clubs? Would that make them 'outsiders' to the rest of us then? If 2015's revamp doesn't take place, how happy are they going to be sticking in the same old swamp? Many have commented on Fev's building of such a large squad (at the moment, imagine that one or two may be made available later). Is that because they were later intending to be one of the big fishes who would form a DR with a lower club and make some of their players available to it? This isn't a swipe at Fev and their fans, just a maybe of the way things might hang.

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

I'll ask the same question on here that I asked on the rams forum - why now ? We know several clubs are "flashing the cash", based on the promise/hope of a SL2 place in 2015. It now looks as though their ambitions are going to be as dented as their bank balances. Why did the SL "rebels" not voice their concerns when the proposed changes were mooted and before anybody decided to go for broke in 2014 ? I would like to know what these changes in funding would have been, and whether it would have impacted on the top clubs anyway. One thought that occurs to me is that, by scuppering the restructuring proposals, the top SL clubs will be able to continue to manipulate the divisive DR system with impunity.

I didn't realise that the whole restructuring proposals had been "scuppered".

I thought they'd just postponed a meeting.

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

Interesting comments, so someone thinks that Fev and Halifax wouldn't want to slip out of the RFL noose in case of hurting their chances. Does that make them as greedy as the current SL clubs? Would that make them 'outsiders' to the rest of us then? If 2015's revamp doesn't take place, how happy are they going to be sticking in the same old swamp? Many have commented on Fev's building of such a large squad (at the moment, imagine that one or two may be made available later). Is that because they were later intending to be one of the big fishes who would form a DR with a lower club and make some of their players available to it? This isn't a swipe at Fev and their fans, just a maybe of the way things might hang.

So we're saying that we want restructuring so that Div 2 clubs can get into $uperleague but they're greedy if they actually want to do that ....

My head's hurting.

#13 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

I didn't realise that the whole restructuring proposals had been "scuppered".

I thought they'd just postponed a meeting.

Rhetorical debate is something that makes a message board interesting. If you don't like it you know where the exit is.

#14 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

...especially when all clubs are equal, but some are more equal than others, to paraphrase Mr Orwell.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#15 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

It's easy to be altruistic and a steadfast supporter of the broader game when you aren't one of the successful clubs. I would respectfully suggest that if Batley were getting 5000 gates and likely to gain access to a higher division then the tune you would be whistling would be a different one.

Or maybe I'm just an old cynic?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#16 olddoggy

olddoggy
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

It's almost impossible to remain objective when dealing with proposals such as the ones in question.  I remember the old days when every club was in with a shout of winning the league (there only was one division).  I also remember the days of two proper divisions, when a club could earn promotion to join the big boys.  I know the game is very different today (sadly), but it's a ludicrous situation to invoke democracy as a justification for a system that has double votes for the haves and single votes for the have-nots.  Not much prospect of objectivity there either, is there?

Edited by olddoggy, 09 October 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#17 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

So you think the RFL is a democracy???

You must be delusional Griff or indeed very naive. Please tell me how the SL clubs' 2 votes to the Championship clubs 1 vote could be classed as a democracy????

Unless you are Robert Mugabe of course.

Edited by DOGFATHER, 09 October 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#18 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

Griff got spanked on the Fev forum so has now come over here

#19 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

I think all this is a prelude to a take over by the SL clubs of the RFL. They are already suggesting improved marketing and the SL players are said to be behind them. The SL clubs led by Wigan are in my opinion wanting to rule the roost. The Championship clubs will be nurseries only.

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

Griff got spanked on the Fev forum so has now come over here

Another dreamer ...........