TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

BARLA SGM makes decision on RFL Operational Rules changes

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

BARLA held an SGM at St Patricks Catholic Club, Huddersfield on Sunday 6th October and prior to the main business David Gent, RFL Director of Participation & Strategic Partnerships and other members of the RFL addressed the meeting in relation to the proposed RFL Operational Rules.

During a lengthy meeting BARLA Delegates tabled questions to Mr Gent and his colleagues and following this they were thanked for their attendance by BARLA Chair Sue Taylor.

The meeting then continued as SGM’s agenda which began with the vote on the proposed RFL Operational Rules.

The majority of delegates voted against the rules in their current format and asked if they could be deferred with further consultation taking place between both bodies.

Edited by Honor James, 09 October 2013 - 08:43 AM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

The majority of delegates voted against the rules in their current format and asked if they could be deferred with further consultation taking place between both bodies

Voted 17 to 1 From what I've been told.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#3 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

The majority of delegates voted against the rules in their current format and asked if they could be deferred with further consultation taking place between both bodies

Voted 17 to 1 From what I've been told.

Yes that's the correct count Marauder, but why did the BARLA Chair shirk responsibility by not attending the relevant Community Board meeting to deliver the association's position on the proposed RFL operational rules.

#4 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yes that's the correct count Marauder, but why did the BARLA Chair shirk responsibility by not attending the relevant Community Board meeting to deliver the association's position on the proposed RFL operational rules.

First I've heard Nev, It was a clear cut vote with only Hilary Steel of Warrington voting to accept the Operational Rules from what my contacts have told me.

#5 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

First I've heard Nev, It was a clear cut vote with only Hilary Steel of Warrington voting to accept the Operational Rules from what my contacts have told me.

Yes that was the correct score at the SGM and I believe you've got the scorers right, but what isn't widely known is that the BARLA Chair failed to attend the Community Board meeting neither was a deputy sent to deliver the BARLA verdict on the operational rules.

I know exactly how the Community Board works but for me that was an absolute kop out from the BARLA Chair who quite literally has no balls 

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 03 November 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#6 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

Isnt the BARLA  chair a woman ?

Must say after early optimism its back to the sad old Barla ways , six months in office now and no communication at all from the chair and her board.

Whats the plans for the Youth and Junior National cups ?

#7 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

Isnt the BARLA  chair a woman ?

Must say after early optimism its back to the sad old Barla ways , six months in office now and no communication at all from the chair and her board.

Whats the plans for the Youth and Junior National cups ?

Sadly you are spot on Taxi except that the Chair's term of office is only four months.

As for the youth/junior Nationals there has been absolutely no attention been paid to them I think that they would be better managed by a different organisation. In fact why not, when BARLA relied heavily on the help of the various leagues to administer the competitions. You never know that with the absence of BARLA even Charlie Bray may allow the Yorkshire Juniors to take part.

In my experience though, teams will be attracted to a well run National competition and ignore directions from their regional leagues. And there is always the chance of sponsorship to reward the participants 

Maybe this possibilty needs to be explored and I've always thought that there would be room for an under 12's competition.

Oh and yes the BARLA Chair is a woman with the Vice Chair probably already wearing her dresses

#8 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

Has anyone seen the quote by Roger Fagge in this week's LE?

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#9 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

Sad to read in the press Roger Fagge as left Barla, Nothing from Barla to let us know .

Roger was the only link we had with Barla he was the only one who was trying to keep the association together great bloke with a real passion for the game not his own ego.

Be interesting to see who replaces him any bets on where that person will come from ?

Edited by TaxiEgg, 06 November 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#10 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

Sad to read in the press Roger Fagge as left Barla, Nothing from Barla to let us know .

Roger was the only link we had with Barla he was the only one who was trying to keep the association together great bloke with a real passion for the game not his own ego.

Be interesting to see who replaces him any bets on where that person will come rom ?

Quote from the BARLA Chair;

"The Board of Management will deal with the issue of appointing a new Administrator"

I'll bet the appointee won't have far to travel to work

#11 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

Be interesting to see who replaces him any bets on where that person will come rom ?

Massive loss, he was the link holding other areas outside of the Pennine league together.

#12 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

I agree, Roger was a regular visit to cumbria as was stuart p and I always found him helpful and accommodating shame as he is one of the good guys

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#13 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

Seems the good guys are being picked off one by one!!

I do feel a little responsible for Rogers exit as I think they got at him because he supported me when i was standing against Sue? although after speaking with him over the last few days the tone of his voice seems to be in a much better place that it was for the past month. So at least some good has come out of this.

fears on a total collapse are on the cards now as I cant see where or who the stability of BARLA will come from.

If BARLA want a  future I think now is the time to launch their master plan as I think its clear as day now what that will be!

Good Luck Roger see you on the other side :tongue:

#14 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:11 AM

Seems the good guys are being picked off one by one!!

I do feel a little responsible for Rogers exit as I think they got at him because he supported me when i was standing against Sue? although after speaking with him over the last few days the tone of his voice seems to be in a much better place that it was for the past month. So at least some good has come out of this.

fears on a total collapse are on the cards now as I cant see where or who the stability of BARLA will come from.

If BARLA want a  future I think now is the time to launch their master plan as I think its clear as day now what that will be!

Good Luck Roger see you on the other side :tongue:

Does the dark side beckon?

#15 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

Probably for you Nev when Mr Mannering finds out you think he,s a cross dresser .

#16 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

Shock horror Taxi, I wouldn't suggest that Cap'n Mannering would do anything like that.

#17 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

So what does the future hold with diminishing responsibility and hold of the amatuer leagues what can the board do to bring back the glory years , or is a case of the Pennine league benefitting with the demise of Barla ?

#18 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:42 AM

The BARLA glory years went long ago and pretty understandably so after many leagues fell away or were pushed away. However one or two people with vision remained inside the organisation and were attempting to steer BARLA into a supporting role by creating initiatives such as, the Foundation, which would have funded the juniors at the very outset of their rugby.

An amount of work had been done on this with budgets and targets set, but unfortunately the drivers of this scheme are no longer within the association and despite the Foundation initiative being tabled twice at consecutive board meetings, the current chair dismissed the initiative without a thought.

In an effort to make judgement, people should be reminded of the chair's pre-election promises which included;

• To represent all who are committed to our game by creating a unified voice.
  • Promote BARLA / County Cups / National Cup
  • To provide an opportunity for everyone to learn and develop the game
  • Better working relationships between BARLA/RFL

After three months in office, absolutely no effort or attention has been paid to any of these items so people could be excused for thinking that there may be a hidden agenda within the chair's manifesto.

Time as always will tell but sadly time is a luxury that BARLA can no longer afford

#19 revtype

revtype
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

BARLA has an uphill battle because it will never be able to match the sweeteners awarded to some local leagues.

#20 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

BARLA has an uphill battle because it will never be able to match the sweeteners awarded to some local leagues.

The only recent BARLA investment to my knowledge, is the sponsorship of the successful Cumbria Men's ARL which has produced an uplift in Cumbrian open age rugby over the past 12 months.

Are the local league sweeteners offered by the RFL and to who? 

Again to my knowledge I only know of the RFL five figure sum given to Yorkshire Juniors ARL which I believe has now stopped following the league's switch to winter.

It would be nice to learn of any others do you care to elaborate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users