World Cup partners

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

In what hasn't been the easiest environment to sell sports sponsorship in, the tournament organisers are finally starting to build some runs on the board.  After today's announcement, the partner family now includes:

• Laurent-Perrier
  • Hertz
  • Marriot Hotels
  • Specsavers
  • Get the Label
  • Moss Brothers
  • Vivomed
  • Centurion
  • Steeden
  • Ticketmaster
  • Opta
  • XBlades

Now sure some of these partners are mainly providing contra to the event, there is still a decent list being built there, and encouragingly, outside of Moss Brothers and Opta, none are current RFL partners.

England has also recruited some new partners and renewed some existing.  As it stands, England's sponsors for the tournament are:

• Gillette
  • Kingston Press
  • ISC
  • ProSkins
  • Moss Brothers
  • ON
  • BOC
  • StatSports

With 17 days still to go, there is still the chance more partners will be announced...

Posted Image

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

Two things, 1 positive, 1 negative.

Positive, its brilliant that the bulk of these sponsors are new to the game over here. Just shows how the international game attracts a whole new market.

On the negative side, why are none of our existing or previous sponsors interested? In the 2008 WC there was a panel of sponsors who were already interested in the game in Oz but it seems sad that the likes of Heinz couldnt be tempted to part with money and get involved in the WC.

#3 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

I look forward to quaffing lots of Laurent-Perrier in the stands at Huddersfield next month.

#4 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

Who are the rest of the teams sponsored by?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#5 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

Two things, 1 positive, 1 negative.

Positive, its brilliant that the bulk of these sponsors are new to the game over here. Just shows how the international game attracts a whole new market.

On the negative side, why are none of our existing or previous sponsors interested? In the 2008 WC there was a panel of sponsors who were already interested in the game in Oz but it seems sad that the likes of Heinz couldnt be tempted to part with money and get involved in the WC.

Some have been long term ie in excess of two years so some sponsors will look for new avenues for sponsoring or investing.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#6 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

I look forward to quaffing lots of Laurent-Perrier in the stands at Huddersfield next month.

It goes well with a balti pie. :pickeat:

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

Sally Bolton said the other week (shortly after the Specsavers announcement) that there were others tied up, it was just about deciding when best to release the details. Sponsors want the best return for their investment and releasing the details now, with the focus on the World Cup gives them a much higher impact, than announcing it two months ago.

#8 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Very interesting point. Given that the rugby league world cup is not a big enough sporting event to attract year round coverage like the football world cup, the timing of announcements is clearly important. Whilst some fans have been quick to criticise the lack of announcements in the months leading up to the event, it is heartening to see more announcements nearer the time. From the sponsors point of view, the coverage from the prominent Burgess brothers, Sonny Bill Williams and Stuart Lancaster stories in recent days has raised the profile of the event and given a great platform to make announcements.

With ticket sales now seeming to really be ramping up, the squads announced, and a TV advert about to air there really is a lot to be positive about. I can't wait for the tournament to start.

#9 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

Very interesting point. Given that the rugby league world cup is not a big enough sporting event to attract year round coverage like the football world cup, the timing of announcements is clearly important. Whilst some fans have been quick to criticise the lack of announcements in the months leading up to the event, it is heartening to see more announcements nearer the time. From the sponsors point of view, the coverage from the prominent Burgess brothers, Sonny Bill Williams and Stuart Lancaster stories in recent days has raised the profile of the event and given a great platform to make announcements.

With ticket sales now seeming to really be ramping up, the squads announced, and a TV advert about to air there really is a lot to be positive about. I can't wait for the tournament to start.

Steady on there. Remember you are a rugby league fan - we have a grumpy reputation to maintain!

#10 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

Who are the rest of the teams sponsored by?

France:

- Puma (Clothing)

- Mutuelle Du Rempart

- AXA

Fiji:

- LE (Clothing)

- Vodafone

- Fiji Sun

Wales:

- Raging Bull

- Probiz

New Zealand:

- Blk (Clothing)

- Pirtek

- Malaysia Airlines

- revera

- Autex

Australia:

- Canterbury (Clothing)

- Holden

- Powerade

- Telstra

Italy:

- Fi-Ta (Clothing)

- JD Bar and Grill

- Azzuri Concrete

- Warburn Estate

- Visit Griffith

Posted Image

#11 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Italian sponsors are largely embarrassing. Visit Griffith, oh please. Full of Aussie-Italian mafia. I believe Fiji also has Air Pacific as a sponsor (Fiji Airlines?)

#12 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

Just used the Hertz World Cup discount code to book my hire car for when I'm in Avignon for the France v New Zealand game.

#13 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

Partners in 2000 according to the supporters guide were:

Lincoln Financial Group (title sponsors - who went bust shortly afterwards!!!)
Motorola
Emirates
Tetleys
Posthouse
World Class (lottery funding, I think)
Gilbert
Gola
Fyffes
Logitog
Granada (official motorway services - though I never saw any advertising in any of them & boy did I look!)
Zoo media corporation
NSPCC (official charity)

Edited by South Wakefield Sharks, 13 October 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#14 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:05 AM

Ashamed not to see the likes of Emirates or Tetleys on board. Surprised no official airline, drink as sponsor. 

#15 pwrightbham

pwrightbham
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

What we need is a stable year to year programme of internationals and then I think the likes of Powerade, Emirates, tetleys etc would get involved.

#16 dkgfd

dkgfd
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

It looks like Highland Spring are on the Scotland kits. Great sponsor!

errr.........is it scaramanga?

#17 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

I had hoped the RLIF would have led the search for blue chip sponsors but obviously not. There was talk of a full cycle of internationals to be set up between world cups but as usual that seems to have disappeared. If I was an international sponsor I would want an international body to talk to which would give me confidence in the brand I was supporting

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,767 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

I had hoped the RLIF would have led the search for blue chip sponsors but obviously not. There was talk of a full cycle of internationals to be set up between world cups but as usual that seems to have disappeared. If I was an international sponsor I would want an international body to talk to which would give me confidence in the brand I was supporting

Good point. Perhaps some businesses have wanted to get involved but were unsure whether it would be value for money as they couldn't point out any concrete international programme for the next few years?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,003 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

Ashamed not to see the likes of Emirates or Tetleys on board. Surprised no official airline, drink as sponsor. 

Tetley's already support RL via the Challenge Cup.  Good to have different sponsors showing up for different events.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,003 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

Good point. Perhaps some businesses have wanted to get involved but were unsure whether it would be value for money as they couldn't point out any concrete international programme for the next few years?

I think they're just being approached for this event though?  RLWC is a different entity to all of the other different entities that control RL.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users