36 replies to this topic

#1 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

http://www.theguardi...ions-leaves-job

Genius. From start to finish.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 09 October 2013 - 09:33 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#2 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,848 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

A necessary learning curve for her personally and Gove. Their positions vis a vis the teaching profession are identical.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:45 AM

Free schools are a disaster.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

A necessary learning curve for her personally and Gove. Their positions vis a vis the teaching profession are identical.

This was completely unnecessary.

#5 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,349 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

This was completely unnecessary.

^ this

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#6 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

Free schools are a disaster.

And only going to get worse as the numbers grow and the idiocy of both the idea and the people running them comes to light. In the short time since they've come on board we've seen this woman, we've seen a Muslim Free School accused of mistreating female staff, and various other stories emerge. Apart from the fact that they suck precious resources out of the education budget, they've also massively overspent - money that has been taken from other schools to make up the shortfall.

Can anyone remind me what Labour's position on this is? They should abolish them all immediately upon entering government (if they ever get back in).

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

And all this is a surprise?

#8 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

The report from the OECD the other day, that branded our 16-24 years olds as borderline tree stumps, suggests the "normal" schools arent much cop either.

#9 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

And only going to get worse as the numbers grow and the idiocy of both the idea and the people running them comes to light. In the short time since they've come on board we've seen this woman, we've seen a Muslim Free School accused of mistreating female staff, and various other stories emerge. Apart from the fact that they suck precious resources out of the education budget, they've also massively overspent - money that has been taken from other schools to make up the shortfall.

Can anyone remind me what Labour's position on this is? They should abolish them all immediately upon entering government (if they ever get back in).

They fully support them, and academies. Especially academies set up by donors, the Aldridge academy for instance.

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

The report from the OECD the other day, that branded our 16-24 years olds as borderline tree stumps, suggests the "normal" schools arent much cop either.

Then that report is BS.

#11 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

Then that report is BS.

Why?

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

Why?

A report can be made to say whatever it is they want it to say and i never believe any of them about anything. To suggest that the majority of 16-24 year olds are thick, is not only insulting it's wrong. Do you know any? Spoke to any lately? I suppose everyone was Einstein when you were that age but they certainly weren't in mine. 

There have always been many people with no intelligence, it isn't a generational thing.

#13 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

A report can be made to say whatever it is they want it to say and i never believe any of them about anything. To suggest that the majority of 16-24 year olds are thick, is not only insulting it's wrong. Do you know any? Spoke to any lately? I suppose everyone was Einstein when you were that age but they certainly weren't in mine. 

There have always been many people with no intelligence, it isn't a generational thing.

But you believe it when people say "free schools are ######"?

I'm doing a part time Chemistry degree, last year for some reason, we had a maths refresher class, one of the questions was something like 44 x 37, the girl sat next to me tried to solve it by doing (40 x 30) + (4 x 7), this was a first year Chemistry degree student.

This report isn't from the Tories, Labour or Lib Dems.

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

Facts are facts.

People who set up schools on a whim are unlikely to be good at running schools.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

What
I'm doing a part time Chemistry degree, last year for some reason, we had a maths refresher class, one of the questions was something like 44 x 37, the girl sat next to me tried to solve it by doing (40 x 30) + (4 x 7), this was a first year Chemistry degree student.

I believe they are a bad idea to begin with. The instances I know of don't make me feel any different.

I agree that basic standards amongst some people have fallen but don't tar a whole generation.

#16 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

I'm doing a part time Chemistry degree, last year for some reason, we had a maths refresher class, one of the questions was something like 44 x 37, the girl sat next to me tried to solve it by doing (40 x 30) + (4 x 7), this was a first year Chemistry degree student.

Where are you doing it though?

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

I'm doing a part time Chemistry degree, last year for some reason, we had a maths refresher class, one of the questions was something like 44 x 37, the girl sat next to me tried to solve it by doing (40 x 30) + (4 x 7), this was a first year Chemistry degree student.

How did she pass A-level chemistry?

#18 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

Read it. 

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/46624007.pdf

No journalist will.  British media only does bad news.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#19 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

Yet you assume we can all see this method of working out is silly.  In other words you assume the average reader of this forum is fairly numberate, showing that you do not think things are all that bad.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#20 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

Actually there has always been very few people with no intelligence but plenty with bad education.

LUNEW.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users