Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wigan v Roosters WCC in Sydney - I don't believe it!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,721 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

Surely it can't be?

After all the grumbles over recent years that Aussie RL doesn't take the World Club Challenge game seriously enough to stage it there's talk in the aussie media that discussions are at an advanced stage for the next WCC game between Wigan and Sydney Roosters to be played at Allianz Stadium (Sydney Football Stadium).

Normally when such a report is made you'd just wait for the dates and KO time to be announced and then who is covering it on TV .

The past reluctance to stage the game in Oz means though I'll not believe it until it's announced officially or even when the whistle to start the game in Sydney is blown!

Let's hope it's true.

OK lot's of Wigan fans will miss out unless they travel across the world for the game. All the same this fixture should alternate between the countries.

I hope this is not another false dawn.

Edited by G Las D, 10 October 2013 - 01:49 PM.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 rugby female

rugby female
  • Coach
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

We've been there before G and beaten the Aussies in their own backyard! I B)

#3 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,721 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

If it does happen a Wigan v Roosters game should pack in the crowds there.

#4 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hmm ? The churlish side of me wonders why having it in OZ with Leeds v Melbourne was 'all too hard' for the NRL ?

Now it's suddenly OK for the golden boys from Bondi.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#5 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,721 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

H-NNRL-20120922202850983325-620x414.jpg

Slightly off topic but I just found this photo which is a cracker.

#6 rugby female

rugby female
  • Coach
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

Plus BR it could have something to do with it being Wigan in the WCC.....the Aussies know we would agree to it.....been there done that and worn the t shirt! 

My perfect choice of game would have been Wigan v Rabbits ( cos of the Madge connection.) then Wigan v Storm as 2nd choice. But we'll take what we've got.  B)

#7 R L Winger

R L Winger
  • Coach
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:17 AM

I'll be there and go the Wigan Warriors

Posted Image

#8 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:10 AM

Probably the fact that the RLWC is on in Europe shortly has made it fair that this fixture should take part in OZ?

#9 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:32 AM

Surely it can't be?

After all the grumbles over recent years that Aussie RL doesn't take the World Club Challenge game seriously enough to stage it there's talk in the aussie media that discussions are at an advanced stage for the next WCC game between Wigan and Sydney Roosters to be played at Allianz Stadium (Sydney Football Stadium).

Normally when such a report is made you'd just wait for the dates and KO time to be announced and then who is covering it on TV .

The past reluctance to stage the game in Oz means though I'll not believe it until it's announced officially or even when the whistle to start the game in Sydney is blown!

Let's hope it's true.

OK lot's of Wigan fans will miss out unless they travel across the world for the game. All the same this fixture should alternate between the countries.

I hope this is not another false dawn.

It wont happen.Someone at the Roosters will find an excuse not to host it in Sydney, or anywhere else except the UK.

#10 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,721 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

Probably the fact that the RLWC is on in Europe shortly has made it fair that this fixture should take part in OZ?

If it were fair and proper the WCC would alternate every year between Europe and Oz/NZ.

But the NRL has shown no serious interest in hosting it in recent years.

I hope it does happen in Oz this time for whatever reason. I then hope that an alternating pattern will emerge thereafter.

To start with though let's just wait and see if it happens in Oz this time. Once would be great, IF it happens.

#11 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

It would give the game more credibility if they alternated the event.

#12 normal norman

normal norman
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

If they play it in australia they will need to play at a cricket ground so the scoreboard can keep up

#13 weststiger

weststiger
  • Players
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

There will be a full house for this game,dont know what kind of side wigan will bring though,there will be at least three missing due to being signed by our NRL sides..

#14 normal norman

normal norman
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

It wont be a contest fifty points difference between them

#15 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

If they play it in australia they will need to play at a cricket ground so the scoreboard can keep up

I agree.

Oceans of class between the Aussies and ourselves. The Roosters could rack up whatever score they want.

This would be a PR disaster but would at least make the strongest case yet for a franchised SL with mergers.

#16 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

....as perhaps will Saturday's World Cup opener.

#17 normal norman

normal norman
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

Something needs to be done and quick the game over here is going backwards

#18 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,721 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

It's a key moment in the game in the UK. This contrasts starkly with the game in Oz. Not all in the garden is rosy but their organisation and judiciary is better and their position on the sporting pecking order ladder is higher.

It is time for Australian Rugby League to look more outwardly than in the past and think about helping the game in the northern hemisphere even if it is just in enhancing the World Club Challenge comp in the first instance. I know there's no obligation to this but it does make long term sense.

#19 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

Wiganers already booking 'Sydney' time,so It's a 'definite maybe' :P

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#20 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,721 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

Oh we of little faith!!!!!

Doubting that the World Club Challenge would ever be played on Ozzie soil.

Well ...

a date for the game between Wigan Warriors and Sydney Roosters has been announced:

Rugby League's World Club Challenge is finally returning to Australia, with the NRL confirming premiers the Sydney Roosters will meet Super League champions Wigan in the international showpiece at the Sydney Football Stadium on February 22.

After much wrangling between interested parties in Australia and England, NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said the WCC will return to Australia next year for the first time since 1994 when Wigan defeated Brisbane 20-14 - a gap of almost 20 years.

Maybe they've just been waiting for Wigan to qualify again. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users