RFL Laughable Decision

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 steve75

steve75
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

Ben Westwood's statement

Player pleads guilty to the offence of punching. The player states that it was a big occasion being the Grand Final. The atmosphere was intense with arms and legs everywhere. The player states that he received an elbow which he states was not deliberate from his opponent. The player then wanted to let him know he was there and went in hard but not deliberately. The player states was devastated when he saw on the screen the replays where he had caught his opponent as he never intended to do anything deliberate to hurt his opponent.

Tribunal Decision

The committee have viewed this incident and the DVD is clear that the player has struck his opponent with a punch. The committee accept this was not a deliberate attack to the head. The committee give the player credit for his guilty plea and show of remorse in this incident and accept it was a highly charged atmosphere in a big game. The player does not have a bad disciplinary record for this type of incident and the committee feel that a 1 match suspension and a £300 fine is appropriate in this instance.

In my opinion this shows just what clowns we have in control of the game!  It is beyond me how anyone can even suggest it wasn't deliberate attack to the head! Where ele was he trying to hit then? He came in late and it was an act of cowardice in my opinion! Probably only devastated in case he missed the world cup!

Posted Image

#2 drewjak

drewjak
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:36 AM

Shocking really....... I like Westwood but at the same time I think he lets himself down regularly doing things like this
My opinion he's got off very lightly because he's in the England squad

#3 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

He's got off very lightly there . From what I saw on tv it looked like a straight red card !

#4 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

I think Westwood has really brought a dirty streak into his game this year. As Drew says if it wasn't internationals he'd of got a much longer ban.

#5 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,557 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

Completely agree with these posts. I could have forecast this tribunal result.
If Westwood & Hock try this out on the Aussies they really will get flattened.

Posted Image

#6 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

He's been banned for one game due to the World Cup it's a smart decision by the RFL. I don't see why people would want our best second rower out of the world cup that's just ridiculous.

The Aussies are just as bad for punching in games. Remember Jennings in origin having a 20 yard sprinting run up to punch someone from behind. Gallen has been just as bad this year in origin aswell.

It's not morally the right decision, he would of got 3 games if it was the first round of SL. But are the RFL clowns for doing this? Not at all.

#7 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,557 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

I agree he would have got 3 games if he played in Championship but not in RFLs precious SL.
As far as the Aussies comment. '2 wrongs don't make right' He would have got a red card if the ref had seen the incident.

Posted Image

#8 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

He was elbowed earlier in the game by Blake Green? Utter rubbish!

RSN - Westwood is the best 2nd rower we have? Really! He will be lucky to make the side. We have far better back rowers than him in the squad.

Should have been given extra game for lying to the tribunal. Westwood has quoted it was a big game - So (IF) he sneaks into the England V Aus game do you think he will be justified going in 3rd man and punching players. The game is tough enough without people like him. The Aussies will smash him to bits if he tries it (AGAIN IF HE IS SELECTED)

#9 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

I think Westwood has really brought a dirty streak into his game this year. As Drew says if it wasn't internationals he'd of got a much longer ban.

Smith has probably coached this into Westwood's game. He sends his forwards out to bully and intimidate....This time they had their ar*es handed back to them and another losers medal to boot :)

#10 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

He was elbowed earlier in the game by Blake Green? Utter rubbish!

RSN - Westwood is the best 2nd rower we have? Really! He will be lucky to make the side. We have far better back rowers than him in the squad.

Should have been given extra game for lying to the tribunal. Westwood has quoted it was a big game - So (IF) he sneaks into the England V Aus game do you think he will be justified going in 3rd man and punching players. The game is tough enough without people like him. The Aussies will smash him to bits if he tries it (AGAIN IF HE IS SELECTED)

Name a backrower better than him? I'd agree with Sam Burgess but I think he's going to play prop IMO.

He wasn't third man either he was the first man to make contact with Green simultaneously with another player. I think Grix was the third man in.

Aussies smash him to bits? They aren't invincible. Westwood isn't a coward he'll have no problem getting stuck in and smashing them. He isn't afraid to put a big shot on a prop and rough them up which is something we really need. If we have a pack which just makes tackles but doesn't dominate the collision we'll be beaten. Westwood will actually give the Aussies something to think about when he is running at them.

He will be starting for England once his ban is up.

#11 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

I agree he would have got 3 games if he played in Championship but not in RFLs precious SL.
As far as the Aussies comment. '2 wrongs don't make right' He would have got a red card if the ref had seen the incident.

That's probably fair regarding the ban.

Two wrongs don't make a right but people make out that Westwood and Hock shouldn't play due to getting wound up. Aussies best prop is more than easy to get penalties out of.

#12 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

I agree that Westwood made the initial contact but his cheap shot was at a point when he had lost contact and came back in.

I'll name 3

Sam Burgess, Liam Farrell & Gareth Hock

All 3 are technically better players than Westwood. Granted Hock is a lose cannon. Burgess & Farrell would be my starting 2nd rowers. Westwood may get a bench place but he is no way our best back rower. I'm not saying he is a coward (rugby players are by no means cowards) but Westwood carries out some cowardly cheap shots and the Aussies hunt down stuff like that as a pack.

We have proven NRL forwards & some SL forwards in the side who are able to rough up any pack fairly without piggy backing teams up the field. Westwood & Hock will be a dream for the Aussies & Kiwis.

Having seen McNamara's selections in the past nothing would surprise me though! I bet he puts Sinfield at 6.....Another selection the Aussies & Kiwis will laugh at.

#13 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

i cant believe Harrison Hansen's cheap shot and potentially career ending tackle has ignored.

if Farrell is one of Englands starting 2nd rows verses the Aussies then we really do have no hope, the guy showed against the exiles that he is not international class. Ablett and westwood for me

#14 Red Stripe

Red Stripe
  • Coach
  • 988 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

i cant believe Harrison Hansen's cheap shot and potentially career ending tackle has ignored.

Watching the Hansen incident several times I am quite convinced that the initial contact was round about the hip area and slid down.

A little careless but by no means in the same catagory as Westwood's deliberate punch - how can you unintentionally punch someone in the head?

Edited by Red Stripe, 14 October 2013 - 02:17 PM.

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#15 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Ablett & Westwood our starting back rowers ?????

REALLY? :sarcastic: 

I Couldn't agree with you more Red Stripe.....Careless Yes, Deliberate No.

#16 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

Ablett & Westwood our starting back rowers ?????

REALLY? :sarcastic: 

I Couldn't agree with you more Red Stripe.....Careless Yes, Deliberate No.

yeah really. if a player doesnt play for wigan, they can still be good enough for england.

i know you are wanting farrell in as your a wigan fan but the fact is, he aint good enough. hock shouldnt have been selected after his performances this season.

ferres has been over-looked and as has kirmond.

taking hock and farrell out of it, that leaves ablett, westwood and sam burgess. i think burgess will either start at prop or 13.

#17 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

This has nothing to do with Farrell as a Wiganer. I don't think Mossop will get a look in with the props we have so I'm not biased towards Wigan in the slightest.

Westwood is a liability end of and to say Farrell isn't good enough for England, yet Ablett is, is quite frankly a Ludacris statement.

I tell you what though....I hope I'm wrong and McNamara picks Westwood, who then gives the Aussies what for.....Unfortunately I doubt it will happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users