Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

2014 Squad

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

I know this is recycling the subject as it was brought up in the past, but the said cross code international Gordon Fifita didn't apparently fit the criteria for a visa neither, why is it that when we try sign a Pacific Islander who needs to apply for a visa, they never fit the criteria to actually get a visa to come over here?

It's the rules Kelsey! To get a visa for a sports player they need to be demonstrably better than an equivalent British/European player, unless they come from a Kolpak country when they are given greater license. In general terms if you've played a significant number of games for your country in recent years then you stand a good chance of getting a visa.

Despite the paranoia of those with whom you speak these rules aren't actually applied to penalise Dewsbury and no-one else.

HTH

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#22 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

I'd like to see some of the Pacific island players get a go in the Championship however I think with the general belt tightening and the change in the visa rules it's unlikely.

Yes, and yes. Given that we don't yet know what we will be playing for next season, and won't know until well after the RLWC I can't see any Championship club splashing any cash around at the moment. those that have already done so will be sweating a little, I reckon.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#23 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

Can't we get Joe bond married to a Slovakian woman in Dewsbury

Seems to work for the rest of the world in visa applications ;)

I'll marry him meself if he's any good. :tongue:

#24 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'll marry him meself if he's any good. :tongue:

As you have already married your sister GOR you can't as it would make you a biggamist!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#25 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

BSJ  -  Correct to date apart from B Watkinson.

Pre Season starts tomorrow night I think,  I am doing my own pre season warm weather training.

As regards the squad being complete, well .........................................

Another holiday WR? How the other half live!

You're right, of course - pre-season starts tonight. Some aching legs and lungs over the next months I expect.

:comando:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#26 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

I read the press often and Fridays edition also said that Batley were looking at a few local amateur clubs to look at some talent from these local clubs, they will be trialling the players in their friendlies, I think we're doing similar, someone I go to the gym with sometimes is in with Dewsbury Celtic and said that we have trialled a few players from there, does anyone know if we have trialled players from other amateur clubs?
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#27 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

As you have already married your sister GOR you can't as it would make you a biggamist!

"you have already married your sister GOR"

What a horrible thing to say - I'd never cheat on my Gran. I can marry him anyway - I'm a vicar.

#28 Wilsden Ram

Wilsden Ram
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

BSJ - only another 8 working days of my allocation, surely you can't be jealous as you don't have

to count working days!  Luckily I still have a few days left for two further weeks of warm weather training

over Xmas and New Year - unfortunately missing the match against the dogs.  A shame as the Eastern

Terrace will be finished by then - just for Piggy's mate to occupy as he thinks we will not finish it.

We might be looking a bit nearer home for any possible further recruitment, as a result of the items you have

highlighted - only possibly though.

Not sure that Championship clubs not splashing the cash though - what about the Cougars and Leigh?

#29 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

Can't we get Joe bond married to a Slovakian woman in Dewsbury

Seems to work for the rest of the world in visa applications ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24813467

The current policy seems to be effective.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#30 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

BSJ - only another 8 working days of my allocation, surely you can't be jealous as you don't have

to count working days!  Luckily I still have a few days left for two further weeks of warm weather training

over Xmas and New Year - unfortunately missing the match against the dogs.  A shame as the Eastern

Terrace will be finished by then - just for Piggy's mate to occupy as he thinks we will not finish it.

We might be looking a bit nearer home for any possible further recruitment, as a result of the items you have

highlighted - only possibly though.

Not sure that Championship clubs not splashing the cash though - what about the Cougars and Leigh?

Yep, hence my comments about "those that have already done so" sweating on the outcome.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#31 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24813467

The current policy seems to be effective.

We've been down this route before FF, and it always degenerates into a political slanging match. I would point out though that any report containing results of a survey conducted by ANY  London university and published by the BBC loses any element of impartiality - but by all means carry on believing what you read. My gripe, however, is that it seems fine to give visas to teenage kids from South America, Asia, Africa etc. etc. (who haven't necessarily even represented their country at junior level) to play football for Manchester Rangers or Arsenal United under 18's, and don't worry about any of that old malarkey concerning whether they are better than British kids or not ( wink wink nudge nudge). Try to get a highly promising South sea Islander into the Championship though, and there are more bridges to be crossed and hoops to be jumped through than "it's a knockout" Just saying.

#32 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

We've been down this route before FF, and it always degenerates into a political slanging match. I would point out though that any report containing results of a survey conducted by ANY  London university and published by the BBC loses any element of impartiality - but by all means carry on believing what you read. My gripe, however, is that it seems fine to give visas to teenage kids from South America, Asia, Africa etc. etc. (who haven't necessarily even represented their country at junior level) to play football for Manchester Rangers or Arsenal United under 18's, and don't worry about any of that old malarkey concerning whether they are better than British kids or not ( wink wink nudge nudge). Try to get a highly promising South sea Islander into the Championship though, and there are more bridges to be crossed and hoops to be jumped through than "it's a knockout" Just saying.

I respect your comment GOR, but I think the issue is down to speculation. Personally, I know nothing about the Visa situation regarding South Sea Islanders, or young kids in Brazil for that matter.

But I do believe in a fair immigration policy, and I would hazard a guess that things perhaps aren't as clear cut as you or I would be led to believe. In other words, if someone or a portion of people are being denied Visas there is likely to be a good and valid reason. A reason which you or I could only speculate on.

#33 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

I respect your comment GOR, but I think the issue is down to speculation. Personally, I know nothing about the Visa situation regarding South Sea Islanders, or young kids in Brazil for that matter.

But I do believe in a fair immigration policy, and I would hazard a guess that things perhaps aren't as clear cut as you or I would be led to believe. In other words, if someone or a portion of people are being denied Visas there is likely to be a good and valid reason. A reason which you or I could only speculate on.

The valid reasons would appear to be that a young SSI would bring nothing to the game that a young British player wouldn't, and furthermore would prevent the development of that British player, whereas importing ex Aussie NRL players now considered to be all but pet food by their own countrymen, wouldn't. Double standards don't you think ?

#34 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

Straying way off-topic here GOR but one of the reasons that the top soccer clubs farm out youngsters to continental clubs on loan is because they CAN'T get a visa for them to play here. They can also employ a battery of lawyers that Championship RL can't do.

On another slant exactly why would you want Dewsbury to be sourcing players from the South Sea Islands rather than Thornhill or Shaw Cross?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#35 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

On another slant exactly why would you want Dewsbury to be sourcing players from the South Sea Islands rather than Thornhill or Shaw Cross?

My thoughts too BSJ. When you think of the Burgess's Danny B and the Walmsley's the first place to look would be under the stones in your own backyard!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#36 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

Straying way off-topic here GOR but one of the reasons that the top soccer clubs farm out youngsters to continental clubs on loan is because they CAN'T get a visa for them to play here. They can also employ a battery of lawyers that Championship RL can't do.

Ah - players like James Craven, Bretherton, Bostock, Diskin and the ones PM has mentioned. Seems we can't afford them. Reading the amateur rugby reports in the press, the most favourably mentioned names seem to be ex Rams who one assumes tried and failed. So where do we go from here ?

#37 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

Ah - players like James Craven, Bretherton, Bostock, Diskin and the ones PM has mentioned. Seems we can't afford them. Reading the amateur rugby reports in the press, the most favourably mentioned names seem to be ex Rams who one assumes tried and failed. So where do we go from here ?

Thats the problem, any player that is exceptional is likely to be offered a deal with an SL acadamy. Likewise, any player who is exceptionally good for our league not at an acadamy is likely chasing money and the club just cannot afford to keep up with the likes of Fev etc.

The obvious option is dual reg players who filter down to our league but then there is the issue of commitment, a coach wants to build a team around players who are there for the season.

It would be great I suppose if acadamys worked in conjunction with teams at our level and let players cut their teeth for a year or so playing good rugby league to the old faithful. Unfortunately, the idea is completely unworkable, and we have just turned a full circle which is where I get where you are coming from GOR looking for overseas players.

It's really an impossible situation and we just have to do what we can, with what we have. There is no miricale solution unfortunately.

#38 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

Thats the problem, any player that is exceptional is likely to be offered a deal with an SL acadamy. Likewise, any player who is exceptionally good for our league not at an acadamy is likely chasing money and the club just cannot afford to keep up with the likes of Fev etc.

The obvious option is dual reg players who filter down to our league but then there is the issue of commitment, a coach wants to build a team around players who are there for the season.

It would be great I suppose if acadamys worked in conjunction with teams at our level and let players cut their teeth for a year or so playing good rugby league to the old faithful. Unfortunately, the idea is completely unworkable, and we have just turned a full circle which is where I get where you are coming from GOR looking for overseas players.

It's really an impossible situation and we just have to do what we can, with what we have. There is no miricale solution unfortunately.

Speaking of which, I notice that the thorny issue of DR has barely surfaced on the forum of late, and doesn't feature in any releases by the club. The dogs on the other hand, not only have a largely complete squad, but by all accounts will have the services of half a dozen Giants next season. Have we fallen out with our feeder team by any chance ?

#39 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

With regard to the DR position, surely it is the responsibility of the Championship club coach to sit down with the SL coach and work out what players are best suited to a period with his club taking into account how the SL coach views their development. The SL coach will no doubt be looking for long term commitment as well as the Championship coach. It doesn't do any of them any favours just putting a player in a squad on a Friday and then him not being involved with the squad for a few more weeks. I appreciate that there were occasions last season when "star" names appeared in the odd match just to get match fit but don't think this will happen as often this season.

#40 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

Think Glenn said a while back that we would still be having a d-reg. with the Bulls,maybe not the six players like the Bulldogs might be having.Could maybe see one or two players coming over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users