Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Neil Roden

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 700 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

12 years, 296 appearances and 113 tries.

Very few players in the modern day RL are loyal to one club.

Been with us through thick and thin (and most of it pretty thin).

A true Roughyed legend.

Cracking player and a really nice fella.

All the best for your retirement Rats.

#2 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

Didn't Neil play for Batley? If so hardly a one club man. If not a truly Oldham legend. I may be incorrect as the player I was thinking of went on holiday during the season leaving our team in the lurch which doesn't match the player you describe.

گر اور ہمیشہ کے لئے ہو جائے گا سے زیادہ طاقتور

#3 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

12 years, 296 appearances and 113 tries.

Very few players in the modern day RL are loyal to one club.

Been with us through thick and thin (and most of it pretty thin).

A true Roughyed legend.

Cracking player and a really nice fella.

All the best for your retirement Rats.

Well said.isn't he in his benefit year this time?

#4 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

Indeed Neil is a true legend of the club and I wish him well in his retirement. I hope that someone can find him some other involvement with the club. It wouldn't be the same without Neil on the staff.

One other thing, I sincerely hope that both the club and the fans will do something to publicly thank him for his loyalty and great service to the cause. It would be nice to see some sort of presentation.

#5 donquixote

donquixote
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

Neil Roden is one of the best players to have represented ORLFC since 1997. A fine playmaker and ,unusually for a halfback, a superb defender. When younger had a deceptive turn of pace and always had an eye for a try scoring opportunity. Was a vital cog in the early days of the new club and came back from his spell with Batley to provide much needed knowhow through to the present day.  I, for one, want to thank him for his service and hope he continues to play a role in the future.

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES NEIL!

#6 D1041

D1041
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

When he was at his peak if he performed Oldham performed.If the opposition had the ability and tactics to stop Neil orchestrating the Oldham team did not turn up. A A very vital cog for the Oldham set up in the last 7 years.

#7 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

The word legend is banded about to much these days but its a fitting description for rats an absolute club legend and he turned down offers greater than ours season before last to stay with the club he loves, enjoy retirement neil been a pleasure watching you and hopefully club Will honour his service at presentation night next Saturday

#8 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

Didn't Neil play for Batley? If so hardly a one club man. If not a truly Oldham legend. I may be incorrect as the player I was thinking of went on holiday during the season leaving our team in the lurch which doesn't match the player you describe.

Do you think that maybe you have unrealistic expectations of players? For Oldham supporters the man is clearly a great clubman and someone who they are very proud of, despite your negative post.

#9 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

Do you think that maybe you have unrealistic expectations of players? For Oldham supporters the man is clearly a great clubman and someone who they are very proud of, despite your negative post.

My post was in no way negative. You may do better watching your neighbours as they too can not face facts. If you think it is appropriate to act as the person who was at Batley did then fine. Please put me on ignore.

گر اور ہمیشہ کے لئے ہو جائے گا سے زیادہ طاقتور

#10 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

Yes rats was at batley but so what if he had a holiday during the season? These players work their tails off and all have jobs, so they deserve a break and no doubt it would have been pre booked before he signed and personally i dont care what happened at batley we love roden at Oldham and thats what this thread is about!!

#11 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

I think Neil  Roden should be granted a Testimonial by the Rugby League. It would allow all the previous players to meet up again and give him a well deserved thank you by the fans.

Edited by HARRYRUBY, 13 October 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#12 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

My post was in no way negative. You may do better watching your neighbours as they too can not face facts. If you think it is appropriate to act as the person who was at Batley did then fine. Please put me on ignore.

Who are you to decide whether he is an Oldham legend? The Oldham supporters should surely decide that. I also disagree, your post was negative as you disagreed with everything they said. If that's not negative then what else is. As for putting you on ignore, is that your answer when you come up against someone who disagrees with you? If that's the case you would end up seeing hardly any posts on here!!

Finally, could I ask you what you meant by 'You may do better watching your neighbours' as I did not understand this statement.

#13 tub

tub
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Yes , been a great player for the club and one of the foundations of Oldham RLFC over the past 12 years.

His place in the club's history is assured

Fordy's successor at 7, he was in his peak during during his first stint with the club, in particular I remember a night game at Gigg Lane in Bury, when he showed all his skills and pace to single handedly destroy a good Swinton side.

Good luck Rats !

#14 chiefgeneral

chiefgeneral
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

Imagine this for a testimonial.

Current Oldham side vs Oldham of 2001 (Grand Final side)

Imagine seeing Gibbons twins, Rich, Norton, Mannion, Sibson, Hayes and the others in action again. Rats could play a half for each side

#15 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

Who are you to decide whether he is an Oldham legend? The Oldham supporters should surely decide that. I also disagree, your post was negative as you disagreed with everything they said. If that's not negative then what else is. As for putting you on ignore, is that your answer when you come up against someone who disagrees with you? If that's the case you would end up seeing hardly any posts on here!!

Finally, could I ask you what you meant by 'You may do better watching your neighbours' as I did not understand this statement.

Think "ostrich" distantdog - that should make the ID of mr zaki clear to you  ,,,  "I'm a troll ol de ol" ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users